Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Waterpump replacement instructions  (Read 51100 times)

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
Waterpump replacement instructions
« on: February 28, 2013, 06:49:22 PM »
Since we have been having a lot of people having their water pumps die on them lately, we put together a little "how-to" on changing the water pump with the engine in the car and the without removing the turbo (this is how we do it). Before we make an official thread, I always like our friends here in Kappaperformance-land to take a look at it and make sure we didn't kill the English language.

instructions - https://ddmworks.3dcartstores.com/assets/images/instructions/kappa/Water%20pump%20replacement.pdf

Video on bleed procedure - DDMWorks - LNF Coolant Refill on Ecotec Engines

Thanks!
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Waterpump replacement instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »
This guide is going to be awesome. On the first picture regarding the hood removal, the text box that says "Do not remove these two bolts" could be moved a little higher so you can see the plastic retainers you have to remove.

I also noticed that on page 5, the last sentence at step 16 is incomplete. The item numbers on the next page (page 6) should be 17-20 as they are a continuation of the steps for "Installing new water pump"

I hope that's the feedback you were looking for. Hope I never have to use the guide but if I do, thanks so much for putting it together for all of us.

Dave, I understand that there are two styles on retainer for the water pump gear, a half round and a full round one. Which do you prefer?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:11:08 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gabes Redline

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:39 AM »
Dave,
Thank you so much for this!! Now I'm pretty sure I can tackle this feat for the Kappas Achilles Heel of a water pump!!
Live life 'cause life happens!

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:47:01 AM »
This guide is going to be awesome. On the first picture regarding the hood removal, the text box that says "Do not remove these two bolts" could be moved a little higher so you can see the plastic retainers you have to remove.

I also noticed that on page 5, the last sentence at step 16 is incomplete. The item numbers on the next page (page 6) should be 17-20 as they are a continuation of the steps for "Installing new water pump"

I hope that's the feedback you were looking for. Hope I never have to use the guide but if I do, thanks so much for putting it together for all of us.

Dave, I understand that there are two styles on retainer for the water pump gear, a half round and a full round one. Which do you prefer?

Fixed those items, thanks!

We use the half moon style here, no problems. Here is a link to the ones we have here - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lisle-tools-13800-Water-pump-sprocket-holder-GM-Ecotec-/310394962486?pt=Motors_Automotive_Tools&hash=item4844fb4236&vxp=mtr
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:59:36 AM »
Thanks for doing making LNF intructions. It looks like your thanks statement implies you sell water pumps.  Is that correct?

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 11:12:14 AM »
Thanks for doing making LNF intructions. It looks like your thanks statement implies you sell water pumps.  Is that correct?

Yeah, they will be going up on the site, and then we will have the video for the coolant fill procedure on that page also to try to make this as easy as possible for someone to do it. After hearing what the dealers are charging for the waterpump replacements we wanted to give another option for people that wanted to try to do it themselves. Hope it helps.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 11:15:10 AM »

And if not, what one do you recommend? Is a water pump a water pump or should you stick to OEM?

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 12:51:01 PM »
Really cool - what service you guys supply!!!

A few comments:
Step 8 - Where is the thermostat?  And some folks might not know what a banjo bolt is.
Step 9 - the temp sensor is on the turbo?
Step 11 - Do you mean "It doesn’t matter which end you take it out of..."?

Otherwise, looks great (outside of what I would learn from actually doing this)!  And the video is great!

Does Jake come with the pump?

Actually, when you start selling the pump, will you also so the special tool (no, I am not talking about GJ)?

How long it it take the average Joe to do?  (not our Joe, who could probably do this 3x faster than me!)
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 01:06:38 PM »
We use the half moon style here, no problems. Here is a link to the ones we have here -
Even cheaper from Amazon, surprisingly... http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-13800-Sprocket-Holder-Ecotec/dp/B001C6LDHU

Thanks Dave!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 01:14:34 PM »
Dave, you didn't mention the potential issues that the dealerships seem to cause with the post-replacement whine from the chain.  Are there any gotchas you need to look out for to avoid this (or tips if you DO incur it)?

I know the tool is supposed to be used to avoid this, but the dealerships still seem to have problems - and they presumably use the tool. :willy:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 02:10:51 PM »
Really cool - what service you guys supply!!!

A few comments:
Step 8 - Where is the thermostat?  And some folks might not know what a banjo bolt is.
Step 9 - the temp sensor is on the turbo?
Step 11 - Do you mean "It doesn’t matter which end you take it out of..."?

Otherwise, looks great (outside of what I would learn from actually doing this)!  And the video is great!

Does Jake come with the pump?

Actually, when you start selling the pump, will you also so the special tool (no, I am not talking about GJ)?

How long it it take the average Joe to do?  (not our Joe, who could probably do this 3x faster than me!)

Fixed those, thanks!

There are some days that we would probably be happy to ship Jake with the pump ;), but most days he is not included.

We will probably not be selling the special tool unless we can find a very good deal on them, but will show pictures of what tool people need to buy.

If you are handy with tools and everything goes perfect you can do this in under 2 hours, I would suggest most people set aside 4-5 hours though, just to make sure they have the time to do it. It really is not that hard to do with the instructions.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »
Dave, you didn't mention the potential issues that the dealerships seem to cause with the post-replacement whine from the chain.  Are there any gotchas you need to look out for to avoid this (or tips if you DO incur it)?

I know the tool is supposed to be used to avoid this, but the dealerships still seem to have problems - and they presumably use the tool. :willy:

I really have no idea what the dealers are doing when they do the pumps and cause the issues. We have yet to have an issue here when we do the pump using that tool, works like a champ everytime so far. Maybe they have some different tool that is not keeping the alignment? I would love to know what dealers are doing to cause the issue some people are having. These instructions are exactly what we do here with a waterpump swap.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Gabes Redline

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
Dave,
So I have the whine after having the water pump replaced by the dealer sometime ago and just ultimately learned to deal with it. Will replacing the water pump per your instructions take the whine out or will I have to mess with the timing components?
Live life 'cause life happens!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2013, 02:37:46 PM »
I have been contacted by Jake to legally represent him.

He is demanding more treats and a larger picture.  Until his requests are met, he will begin eating homework

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 02:52:08 PM »
I really have no idea what the dealers are doing when they do the pumps and cause the issues. We have yet to have an issue here when we do the pump using that tool, works like a champ everytime so far. Maybe they have some different tool that is not keeping the alignment? I would love to know what dealers are doing to cause the issue some people are having. These instructions are exactly what we do here with a waterpump swap.

God, that is one of the most reassuring things I've ever read on here.  Up until now, I just assumed it impossible due to all the reports - thank you for everything you do for the community.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 04:32:09 PM »
OK, thanks Dave.  Maybe it's a case of the techs thinking they know better and not actually bothering to use the tool.  "Tool. Tool? We don't need no steenkin' tool!"

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2013, 06:27:38 PM »
I bet you are correct TS

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2013, 06:50:16 PM »
Dave,
So I have the whine after having the water pump replaced by the dealer sometime ago and just ultimately learned to deal with it. Will replacing the water pump per your instructions take the whine out or will I have to mess with the timing components?
changing your water pump again won't help.  You need to do the timing chain tensioner reset

Sent from my H866C using Tapatalk 2
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:24:28 PM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2013, 07:54:17 PM »
As far as the gear holding tool goes, would the OEM recommended tool prevent the chance of dropping the bolts into the engine?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C6P0NS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:00:10 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2013, 07:56:46 PM »
As far as the gear holding tool goes, would the OEM recommended tool prevent the chance of dropping the bolts into the engine?

(Image removed from quote.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C6P0NS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Yeap, better then the half moon for sure at keeping the bolts from dropping. It really is not too much of an issue with the half moon style though since it covers the bottom part, but the full moon would kinda make it a challenge to drop a bolt.
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 08:00:53 PM »
Thanks Dave as I'm not the risk taking type, I might go for that one.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2013, 09:15:44 PM »
OK, thanks Dave.  Maybe it's a case of the techs thinking they know better and not actually bothering to use the tool.  "Tool. Tool? We don't need no steenkin' tool!"

That combined with the attitude "I know better than the person that wrote the manual and I can save time by not doing this step."
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »
Another source for the tool if you have an Advance Auto Parts in you area. Special order but at least there would be no shipping charge if you pick it up at the store.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/OEM-GM-water-pump-holding-tool-for-2002-2008-2-2-and-2-4-lts-eco-tech-engine/_/N-26pg?itemIdentifier=94808_0_0_

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 11:36:07 AM »
Another source for the tool if you have an Advance Auto Parts in you area. Special order but at least there would be no shipping charge if you pick it up at the store.
That's also available at Amazon $5 cheaper and no-tax/free ship (at least for me in US). http://www.amazon.com/OTC-6616-Water-Pump-Holding/dp/B001C6P0NS

Offline JesseB

• Tech
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 01:16:11 PM »
when can we expect to see the water pumps for sale...it seems that I may be needing one  :roll:
DDM Short Shifter, K&N Typhoon CAI, Solo HighFlow Cat, Solo Street Race Exhaust, Pwerks Charge Tubes, Pwerks Street Race Intercooler, AEM Meth Injection, Pwerks Valve Springs, Wiseco Pistons, ZZP 4340 Rods, ARP Head Studs, Pwerks Street Race Head Gasket, Pwerks Phenolic Spacer Set, ZZP Stage 1 Comp Cams w/ Upgraded Fuel Pump Lobe, Spec Stage 2+ Clutch, Spec Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel, Pwerks 5th Injector, Pwerks 700hp Fuel Pump, ...& A TURBO