Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Help me to decide for my next UHP tires (Michelin SuperSport, Toyo R888)  (Read 7203 times)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Hey guys,

It is time for me to change my shoes. Until now I had from factory Bridgestone Potenza RE050A (yes, Opel GT comes with other tires than US Kappa from factory) which I thought they are not too good, but only after installing Michelin PS2 I realized the factory ones where very strong tires and only the huge amount of tq of my engine 620Nm(450lb-ft) back then where killing the traction on acceleration.

After 2 years of Bridgestone Potenza I switched to Michelin PS2 which have a high rating in Europe but it was a little bit disappointing, in the street on curvy roads was a little bit better than Bridgestone Potenza but launching from a dig or straight acceleration where a little bit weaker. Also  bit disappointing for me was to see only after 2-3 months one of the back tires made a bulge, something like this but smaller:

After talking with other guys they said most of them developed bulges and I shouldn't worry. After 2 years since I use them they didn't explode, they were ok even with that bulge.

Now I'm looking for the new model Michelin Super Sport but I'm a little bit skeptical even some of you already reviewed those tires. I didn't like that in last 2-3 years Michelin released SP3 which were weaker and cheaper than PS2 and than they released Super Sport.

The other option would be Toyo R888 which I tested on my car for a week and they were impressive in grip but terrible on rain. But I don't care about rain, I drive slow and careful in the rain.

If I'm not wrong the prices are pretty much same and as you see I prefer to change my tires at every 2-3 years even if now I won't drive my car so much, something like 2000-5000 miles/year.

What would be your call in this situation?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
Kelu  why not just check out B F Goodrich ( Drag Radials ) seeing how you only put about 5,000 on them you get the best of both worlds . I have Coopers ( Zion's ) on mine. They just arn't that good when there are stones on the hair-pin turns . They are all season Performance Radials. I have about 4,700 miles on them and still look new.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Bobby: drag radials are not available in EU as far as I know because they don't have the "E" DOT (European). If I would go with a drag radial would be  Mickey Thompson because they perform great in drag racing but they are prohibited to be sold in EU :(
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Take a look at continental sport contact 3. They are light and supposed to perform good ( the new sc5) are on the market too
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
this is on the Solstice forum :

rcf1289

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have 18 brushed Gxp wheels that came stock. They are brand new with almost brand new vredestien zr rated tires. They are made in Finland and are amazing tires. Only 400 miles on them and the wheels. I totaled my car over the weekend.

I also have a Gxp car cover with a hole in it if anyone's interested. Hole it by the antenna.

I have the embroidered Gxp center console saddle bag with 2 pockets.

Text 3147323900 for pics
Email rcf1289@gmail.com 
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Arabas & Bobby: Michelin SS are rated above almost all extreme performance tires. As far as I read there is no street tire comparable with them, the only one which are better in terms of grip are R compound - Toyo R888, Dunlop Star Spec (not available in Europe), Bridgestone RE-11, Michelin Cup. Dunno if worth to consider lower rated when I look only for performance.

As a side note a comparo based on reviews:
MSS:
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Super-Sport.htm
Dry Grip - 98%
Wet Grip - 89%
Road Feedback - 96%
Progressiveness - 88%
Wear - 89%
Comfort - 88%
Buy again - 99%

Continental Sport Contact 5
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Continental/Sport-Contact-5.htm
Dry Grip - 93%
Wet Grip - 85%
Road Feedback - 86%
Progressiveness - 85%
Wear - 68%
Comfort - 87%
Buy again - 76%

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Sessanta.htm
Dry Grip - 92%
Wet Grip - 89%
Road Feedback - 88%
Progressiveness - 87%
Wear - 78%
Comfort - 87%
Buy again - 89%

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
I would go with the Michelin, specially after the new C7 went with Michelin instead of Goodyear.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
I would go with the Michelin, specially after the new C7 went with Michelin instead of Goodyear.

That's probably because Michelin gave a better price for the C7 specific design. Tires for the C7 are designed specifically for that car. That means big $$. That version of the tire is wholly different than the namesake that Kelu could buy.

Kelu-
Just take the tires off the dodge your driving...
Make the right choices now

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
I vote the Toyo.
The Michelin's will only give you an edge in the wet, which is not your concern.
The Toyo's [And Dunlop Star Specs which you can't get] are better in the dry.

The Michelin's are also  overpriced and not worth that extra money. 

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
I vote Michelins also. You use TireRack's website to get the weight since you are using it in competition the weight on the out of the wheel should make a difference. Michelin should about the lightest.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Kelu-
Just take the tires off the dodge your driving...
I don't drive anything here :(

The Michelin's are also  overpriced and not worth that extra money. 
MSS 185E
Toyo 270E
 :slap:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 05:15:58 PM by Kelu »

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
I can't account for the idiot pricing of the European Union and their VAT B.S..

Michelins are $226 over here and not worth the money.

That's $76 more a tire than the Continental Extreme Contact DW and the Michelins are not that much better in the dry and no better in the wet.
At the moment the Dunlops have increased in Price.   Not sure if that is going to hold.

The Toyos, while more expensive, are the tire you want for what you want to do. 

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
I can't account for the idiot pricing of the European Union and their VAT B.S..
Ahh, you touch my weak spot here!!!

So facts:
MSS: 240$(EU) 226$(US)
Toyo: 350$(EU) 255$(US)

:barf2:

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Yea you get hosed. 

Can you carry 4 tires back with you in september?
:D