Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: HP Tuners and windows 8  (Read 6981 times)

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
HP Tuners and windows 8
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:30:36 PM »
Anyone else having issues with I?  I just  tried to open the scanner to read a file and it says my directory is corrupt.  I am going to try and reload it, but wonder if anyone else has tried it.

Just the operating system file is corrupt still have my config and scanned files
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: HP Tuners and windows 8
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 07:24:52 AM »
What version of HPT are you using?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 09:27:40 AM »
the beta version on the new upgrade.  I haven't downloaded the new version yet since it isn't working
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 02:38:08 PM »
My suggestions would be to remove the malware called windows 8 and install Windows 7
But shy of that, The new non Beta version should work.

If you go to the HPT Forum, they have multiple posts about Windows 8.  Could be you don't have the proper .Net drivers.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 03:50:14 PM »
Also you may want to make sure you have all the W8 updates.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
This guy pretty much highlights everything I hate about Windows 8.

Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 06:02:09 PM »
Elff, that video is awesome! I used to be a big Windows guy but my next system will run OS/X.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 05:37:40 AM »
I see his rant as BS, weather apps don't pop up and then disappear or any other app for that matter.  The moron who did the video didn't even watch the startup demo that tells you how to close the apps.  Doing things the same on all applications does apply.  Alt-F4 is a legacy function that closes all apps no matter what version windows you are on.    I stopped watching this idiot after the 7 minute mark.  What a looser.

Windows 8 is much faster and better.  MS did screw up the start button removal and single app function in full screen, that will be fixed this summer. 

John,

The HPTuners app for windows 8 works fine and I don't have any issues opening tunes

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 07:53:37 AM »
Does Windows 8 have the same issue with signed drivers as Windows 7?

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2013, 10:13:31 AM »
Even more, but there are work arounds for both.

I see his rant as BS, weather apps don't pop up and then disappear or any other app for that matter.  The moron who did the video didn't even watch the startup demo that tells you how to close the apps.  Doing things the same on all applications does apply.  Alt-F4 is a legacy function that closes all apps no matter what version windows you are on.    I stopped watching this idiot after the 7 minute mark.  What a looser.

Windows 8 is much faster and better.  MS did screw up the start button removal and single app function in full screen, that will be fixed this summer. 

John,

The HPTuners app for windows 8 works fine and I don't have any issues opening tunes

Actually for gaming it has been proven that it is not faster.  It completely depends on the game.  A lot of games still run faster in Windows 7.  So the faster is not black and white.   
I can reference numerous website sites that did direct comparisons.  In alot of cases, Windows 7 has the Frame Per Second edge.  To back up my statement, I have new hardware. 
I now run a dedicated gaming rig now with a GTX Titan video card, Intel Z77 Chipset and a i7 3770K 3.50 GHz CPU OC-d to 4.5 Ghz.   
I use my 27" iMac as the Monitor [And for everything that is not gaming] as the Mini Display port is 2 way and have a Mini Display port to Display port cable.

The keyboard is a Logitech Easy Sync Bluetooth keyboard and it is Synced to both the Mac and PC.
I just hit the F1 or F2 key depending on whether I am gaming or not.

It's a pretty sick setup.  I decided to go this route vs wait on the next gen consoles because I prefer the mouse and keyboard in FPS games. 

I ran the PC with Windows 8 for a period of time.  I gave it an honest shot, but formatted and went back to Windows 7 Enterprise version.

IMHO
Metro on a non tablet sucks.  The guy in the video makes very valid points.  You have to view this video from a normal users perspective. Yes it is over sensationalized, but, from that point of view, vs a Power User, this guys video will hit home to a lot of people who are not computer savy.  If you learn the keyboard shortcuts, you can get around alot of the stuff, but it is not optimized at all for a mouse.   The Charms bar is a perfect example.  Only activates in the corner vs the side. 

The other thing that is highly annoying is how MS split settings.  a perfect example is your User account.
In Windows 7 you controlled that 100% in the Control Panel.
Now in Windows 8, you control 80% of the settings in the old Windows 7 style Control panel, but then have to change your account Picture using Metro.
that is just dumb.  Another example is IE launched from the desktop vs Metro. Etc etc etc etc.  I can go on and on.  These dumb little things add up to taking more time to do the same task. 

WTF didn't they move all of the control panel into the new settings?   Now people have to go to 2 separate locations?  Why have the old Windows 7 Control panel at all?

Windows 8.1 proves that even Microsoft realizes they goofed. 
Microsoft is re-adding the normal start menu.   

Also, it seems no one who knows what they are doing, leaves it alone and tweaks the crap out of it, to remove the short comings of the interface.  Most immediately add a start menu or relocate the Desktop tile to the upper left so they can hold the enter key on startup and immediately bypass Metro.

I think it was a great idea for a phone.  On a PC, IMHO, I consider Metro a total fail.  Microsoft doesn't realize how many people like SlyBob they have driven to the Mac as a result of this.  Even the tablets are failing miserably.  It's been a nightmare for M.S.

I have nothing bad to say about Windows 7.  Combined with Server 2008 R2 in an enterprise setup it is down right awesome and very secure.

I just want everyone to pay to attention that
ELFF SAID WINDOWS 7 IS AWESOME to prove my objectivity on MS.   I am not just a Mac Fan boy but highly prefer it due to technical reasons and the overall customer experience.    If you know Unix, you can open the terminal and customize it as much as a PC.  For the average person, the non hassle ease of use is just a better choice and compared to Windows 8, it's a no brainer.

Windows 8 is definitely love or hate.  I'm in the hate category.  I will test 8.1 because I am objective and need to know for my job, but I will not run 8.

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
Joe,
I tried loading 2.224 and get an error message that I sent on to HPT as the box suggested.

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »
Windows 8 will not work with MAXIMO.  And it sucks with a mouse.

Therefore, all our work machines remain W7

Make the right choices now

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »
Windows 8 loads faster than windows 7 and that is a fact.
Now once you are in it you do have to understand the interface to be good at it.
I do not do games but rather regular applications such as office 2010.
You can run the metro IE and go to a lot of sites including this one.
I agree they should have done some more extensive test to get some of the short comings of W8.
I like that they are listening to the consumers and releasing W8.1 at no cost to users of W8.
Another thing when it comes to tablets the new W8 tablets can do a lot more (multitasking) than the Apple or Android.

Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 03:52:27 PM »
I agree with your points, but I don't think they matter compared to the crappy interface.

Same goes with the cost.  I have no issues paying more for a higher quality product that has a more fluid user experience.

That saves me time and money in the long run and avoids frustration.   

I can't imagine how slammed our help desk would be if we upgraded our company to Windows 8.  That's always a great testament to how intuitive something is.   I have a feeling my techs would lynch me.  :D

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2013, 08:21:51 PM »

I just want everyone to pay to attention that
ELFF SAID WINDOWS 7 IS AWESOME

What the hell just happened?  I think the Mayan calender might have been off by about 5 months.  This has to be a sign of the Apocalypse.  Whats next?  Critter won't misspell anything, Bobbwhy will start spelling his name with an ie, someone TThat we know will remain silent, swaybar bushings will be a snug fit?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 03:02:50 PM »
:coffee: