Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: split seam on factory I/C  (Read 2444 times)

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
split seam on factory I/C
« on: June 08, 2013, 11:31:45 AM »

1st picture the split at the tank end ,2nd picture where they said was impacked why didn't the lower pipe get damage ,3rd picture has the same type of mark in it. Now my service writer says it is not covered. Was a factory defect with a TSB. He also said TSB's only alert you and dealer . I smell a smoke screen .   Does it cost for this replacement or just Labor??
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
Re: split seam on factory I/C
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:12:55 PM »
A TSB is not a warranty nor is it a recall, it is merely a factory recommendation of how to repair a known issue.

So:
If the repair is covered by your powertrain warranty, all costs, parts and labor, are covered and there is no charge to you.

If the repair is not covered by the warranty, all the costs, parts and labor, are paid for by you.

Personal opinion: The impact damage is not sufficient to have caused the split in the end tank, and the repair should be covered assuming you are still within the terms of the powertrain warranty.   However, my personal opinion has no weight on your particular situation, the repair has already been done, and you are probably stuck with whatever decision the service manager has made.

Assuming your powertrain warranty is still in force, you could try to get GM customer service involved.  The fact that the intercooler was not repaired along with the rest of the impact damage works in your favor, in other words, it wasn't damaged enough to require repair, therefore, the split in the end tank should be covered by warranty.
Aggressive #000741

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 01:40:19 PM »
IC is part of emission warranty and is covered beyond other warranties.

Also- if it broke from the accident, go back to the adjuster and have it fixed. There are provisions in insurance repairs for damage found later.
Make the right choices now

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 03:42:58 PM »
I agree with GJ the only course of action here is with the insurance company.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 03:51:37 PM »
As per page 24 of the emissions warranty document, the charge air cooler (inter cooler) is covered under the emissions warranty. If the dealer has determined that the accident caused the damage, then I would agree with the others and suggest you contact the insurance company.

http://www.pontiac.com/content/dam/pontiac/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Owners/Owner_Resources/Manuals/en/us/2008/solstice/2008-pontiac-solstice-warranty.pdf
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 10:02:02 PM »
Whether the defect was there before the impact really cannot be determined easily if at all Let insurance take care of it.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
The only issue I have is, there was no damage to the right side . Only damage was to the drivers side and the wheels and if it is a defect why should the dealer take my Money. going to contact my Ins. Co. in the morning and explain what the Dealer found and said .
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »
Bobbwhy that's Y they call it hidden damage.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 02:16:39 PM »
Bobbwhy-

Think about how hard you were thrown around in that crash.  Your car went they the same bad day.

Keep us posted as it develops.
Make the right choices now

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
    • Ryuk
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »
And do yourself a favor
Don't replace it with a Stock IC no matter what happens.

Get on the phone with DDMworks and get a much improved product.   The stock one on your car is just a ticking time bomb again anyway.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 01:05:40 AM »
Well if the Ins.Co. gives at least 1/2 back i'll have a new OEM I/C for sale . If they come through by next weekend I might do something at the Nationals.
Mods