Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Painted my top  (Read 7307 times)

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
Painted my top
« on: June 19, 2013, 09:23:44 AM »
I saw this video a few years back.

Painting Miata Convertible Canvas top from Tan to Black

I finally made the leap and did it because i hated the tan top. I used 4 cans of the Duplicolor flat black vinyl/fabric paint. I painted the rear part of the top first with the flaps up and trunk open. After it dried, I closed the trunk painted the outer parts of the flaps and the sides of the top up to where the seams are toward the middle. Lastly, i painted the middle section. It looks pretty good. The paint has made the top a little "hard" in texture. I'm hoping it'll soften up as it wears/ breaks in. Overall, I'm happy with the result and spent less than $100 in paint, tape, and masking paper vice $900 for a new top.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Painted my top
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Follow up on how it is holding up in a few months, please
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:30:08 AM »
Sure thing, Critter.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 03:34:16 PM »
You just had to copy my Sky didn't ya?
:D

I think you made a good choice.  The Black IMHO looks better on the white.  The Tan top accents a dark paint well, but just seems out of place on the white.

This is also nice from a long term maintenance on our tops.   If the top has faded over the years, this can make it look brand new

Offline Gadget

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:33 AM »
Wow! That looks fantastic. Great job!
 My favorite is the shot from the rear.
(That's usually the case with me though)
:)
Her name is: "Sparkle Butt"
Mods: TBD
Starting over

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 09:39:54 AM »
I actually thought about painting it charcoal gray to be different, but I wanted to hide some of the defects that are in the top from the previous owner. Maybe when the black fades or I get tired of it, I'll revisit painting it the charcoal gray color.
The top has now gotten rained on for the past 3 days. It seems to be wearing in nicely. Some of the initial "hardness" is fading, but when I run my hand over it I can still pick up small specks of black. I might scrub the top when the car gets a wash to remove more of the loose particles. I'll probably add a water repellant at that time as well.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 09:43:55 AM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline DigiSol

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 12:42:21 AM »
www.neverwet.com Its gonna be big.

Offline droptopsf98

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 05:34:26 PM »
I think a dye would have been a better plan of attack.  I'd be willing to bet the look doesn't hold up.  For your sake though...I hope it does.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »
Unless its a rubberized paint ,What will keep it from cracking with Hot and cold weather plus putting it ( up & down )
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 07:03:34 AM »
So far the paint is holding up. The top has been raised and lowered numerous times. It has seen a number of rain storms here in South Carolina as well. I washed it two weeks ago and scrubbed the top with a hard bristle brush. Doing so "softened" the top a little bit and doesn't feel as course to the touch as when it was freshly painted. It does look like I may need to apply one or two more coats and brush it in as the scrub lightened it in color a little bit. I still believe this is an inexpensive, viable option instead of buying a $900 replacement.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 05:55:44 PM »
Any updates? How's it holding up?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 06:28:23 AM »
Yup. It's still holding up. I never did apply another coat of paint after the wash and scrub of the top I posted about last. I would definitely paint the top again instead of buying a new one if the only thing that's wrong is discoloration.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline CarolinaSolstice

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2019, 02:39:33 AM »
Any updates on the top??
Look up and read Charles Swindol "Attitude"

PONTIAC FOREVER!!!!!!

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »
It's still black. It has faded a little. The car hasn't been driven in ages because I have yet to finish the V8 swap I started 4 years ago, though.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2019, 10:42:15 PM »
The owner of this car posts on FB sometimes, I've asked him about the red top but he never responds so I'm assuming he doesn't want anyone knowing how he got a red top.  But then I realized it was probably a tan top that was dyed red so I asked, he didn't respond to that either.  But I'm thinking that's how it was done.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 11:26:02 AM »
That's a cool idea!  Maybe I should try to get a tan top and dye it orange/red to match my Brazen?!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 01:28:50 PM »
That's a cool idea!  Maybe I should try to get a tan top and dye it orange/red to match my Brazen?!

If you don't get a good color match, it may not look right.

Found these two pictures, the blue isn't that bad even though it doesn't match so maybe it will work out okay.

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.