Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Bought a "new" but slashed convertible top  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
Bought a "new" but slashed convertible top
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:55:31 AM »
Got a great deal on Ebay for a convertible top.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221234341376?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

My current one wasn't taken care of by the previous owner. The cloth/ rubber above the hinge points are torn and the rear window edges are frayed. The "new" top looks much better, BUT it does have a tear in it from vandalism. I'm hoping that it will be repairable. I also intend to use fabric paint (Duplicolor flat black) on it. Like this guy did to his tan top.

Painting Miata Convertible Canvas top from Tan to Black
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
Re: Bought a "new" but slashed convertible top
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 01:51:39 PM »
I was able to 'repair' my original slashed top with a inner tube patch and some rubber cement on the inside (pre headliner). It was still noticeable as a tear if you were looking but it was waterproof (it was just a quick fix as tops were pretty plentiful back then).

That is a pretty great price though, even if just for the frame.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 10:49:14 PM »
I think the inner tube repair is a great idea. I might consider it once I see the extent of the slash on the new top.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »
Well, the seller underestimated the shipping cost of the top. UPS wanted $200. He didn't want to pay that. He wanted to ship it to me via greyhound bus as it would only cost him $100. I declined and requested a full refund which was granted. Just wanted to update this and give a heads up to someone else that might think about buying it on Ebay. I'm sure it'll be re-listed soon.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust