Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Help needed ASAP  (Read 2903 times)

Offline AK

• Apprentice/Gofer
Help needed ASAP
« on: June 25, 2013, 04:56:47 PM »
So yesterday I finally got around to making my 3" straight pipe/race exhaust.

I put an 8" Cherry Bomb glasspack on the 3" pipe for sound and legal reasons.Where I live there are no emissions but in the state of Georgia it is mandatory that your car has a muffler. I have been given a citation for my 2.5" straight pipe that did not have a muffler/glasspack.

Anyways here is my problem; During the test drive with the new 3" exhaust in 3rd gear at WOT past 5k RPMS my car would start to cutout and start back firing and then the CEL would start flashing and when I would lightly press the throttle again it would just be really choppy and start backfiring. I just changed my spark plugs too less than two weeks ago.

I hit 15 PSI on a normal basis and that's even after i adjusted the actuator. Sometimes 16,17,18 and 19 PSI but not often and I didn't have the flashing CEL or backfiring problem. My downpipe is gutted so all I have on the car is the cherry bomb glasspack.
Fully payed off / Koni Struts / Eibach Springs / full Dejon CAI / Kappasphere reBAR / Catless DP to straight-pipe to single outlet muffler

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Help needed ASAP
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 05:03:16 PM »
Something might have happened to the second O2 sensor.
Make the right choices now

Offline Dream20b

• Tech
  • You know I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 06:33:56 PM »
no efficient cat = cel.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 06:45:52 PM »
You need to read the OBD code but as Dream20B said, if you gutted the cat without taking measures to deal with the resulting code, that may well be the issue. You really need to see what the code is though.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »
1) What spark plugs u put? Gap?
2) You have any way to read your codes? IIRC Flashing CEL means misfire. Your bakfires where during acceleration or during deceleration?
3) Don't mess with your actuator, put it back to stock

Various boost is normal, varies based on temp and altitude, the ECU function references based on load, not based on boost.

Inefficient CAT doesn't bring flashing CEL and misfires, is just a CEL.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline atlredsky1993

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 10:04:17 PM »
P0300 - multiple misfires
P0304 - cylinder 4
P0303 - cylinder 3
P0302 - cylinder 2

P0420 - catless dp

I would change the actulator or whatever back to stock but I did that forever ago and never had a problem with it.

I gutted my cat the same time I adjusted the actulator. So I know the p0429 code has been there since.

The plugs are iritiums and I just went to advanced and told them my car and motor and he gave me them and I put them in. Didn't have the misfires at Wot until I put the straight 3" on

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 05:23:57 AM »
 Stop before you cause damage.  Detonation can cause serious damage to your car.  The Catless downpipe code will cause errors and needs to be disabled via HPTuners.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:55:24 PM »
Also the BEST plugs to put on our car are the AC Delco 42-108 Gap at 32. PERIOD!!!.
Any other plug will not work as good. It has been proven a number of times on this forum and also on the BB.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 04:50:51 AM »
Are you doing this just for sound?
Are you retuned ?

Offline atlredsky1993

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
Gap was way too high, put the gap at 32. Fixed the misfiring. Really want a tune but I need charge pipes. Was gonna go with hp tuners or trifecta budget tune. Don't know anything about tuning really I just want 290/300 hp lol

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
You don't need charge pipes for a tune.
An upgraded intercooler is better money spent

Your HP goals with a straight pipe are completely doable.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »
Why do you need charge pipes for a tune?  They improve the looks, but hardly the performance of an otherwise stock engine. 

Trifecta budget tune has shown good results, but it's hard to beat the utility of a tool like HPTuners. It helps will much more than just the tune and allows others to view your car from across the country or around the world.  It is MUCH more expensive, but equally more useful.

A lesson learned here- dont just throw spark plugs in!
Make the right choices now

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »
Also the BEST plugs to put on our car are the AC Delco 42-108 Gap at 32. PERIOD!!!.
Any other plug will not work as good. It has been proven a number of times on this forum and also on the BB.
+1 with one addition: those AC DELCO are made by NGK so either one is only option when is about sparks from stock to 400hp
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!