Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 2014 Nationals ... Planning Has Begun!  (Read 18824 times)

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
2014 Nationals ... Planning Has Begun!
« on: July 28, 2013, 12:01:51 PM »
Hey All!

I just wanted to let you know that the planning/road mapping stages for the North American Solstice Sky Meet for 2014 in the Poconos have begun! The committee is just about ready to sign the contract with the hotel, once that's done I can provide you with more details.

Until then, what I can tell you is that I REALLY like the hotel. I was not involved in the selection process but price wise, for the area I think it's a great choice! I feel that the layout is designed to promote group interaction. There are many large seating areas so we can all hang out together rather than in little groups. And the entertainment/play room is fantastic! I'm losing track of how many of you crazy people I can see jumping on stage!

A small group of us ran some roads yesterday. Michele & Diane had run some before, for me and Tom it was the first time and after the first part of the run we were really psyched about the road choices. Lots and lots of more planning, mapping and driving will be done over the next few months, hopefully we can bring you not only a great party but some great roads too!
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Anyway... more to come once the contract is signed but I'm newly inspired and looking forward to seeing what we can bring to you all!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: 2014 Nationals ... Planning Has Begun!
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:48:00 PM »
I'm really excited for this!  I've already provided a ton of info to Diane and Michele based on my learnings in Flagstaff.  That really was a nice event!  I was very impressed with their set up and what they did with the area!  However, I think this event will be larger than Flagstaff so some things that worked well for them (the way the runs were organized and staged) may not work well for 2014.

I feel the Poconos will have more to offer in the way of twisty runs as well as site seeing and other fun activities!  Should be a fantastic event!!!

Like I told Diane and Michele, I'll totally help you guys out.  Whatever you need.  (Yeah...I know...I said never again!)
Some registration table time (although I don't want to do a ton of table time!), help with raffles, selling random crap like raffle tickets, shirts, junk...promo crap, help with runs (sweep...RC if I have to).

BTW, for those coming back west, we are thinking to do another Kappa trip to Cedar Point after the event!!! :)

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 12:51:37 PM »
I'm really excited for this!  I've already provided a ton of info to Diane and Michele based on my learnings in Flagstaff.  That really was a nice event!  I was very impressed with their set up and what they did with the area!  However, I think this event will be larger than Flagstaff so some things that worked well for them (the way the runs were organized and staged) may not work well for 2014.

I feel the Poconos will have more to offer in the way of twisty runs as well as site seeing and other fun activities!  Should be a fantastic event!!!

Like I told Diane and Michele, I'll totally help you guys out.  Whatever you need.  (Yeah...I know...I said never again!)
Some registration table time (although I don't want to do a ton of table time!), help with raffles, selling random crap like raffle tickets, shirts, junk...promo crap, help with runs (sweep...RC if I have to).

BTW, for those coming back west, we are thinking to do another Kappa trip to Cedar Point after the event!!! :)

Thanks IHawk, we were discussing that yesterday. If we can get volunteers and schedule them, i.e., 2 hours at registration rather than leaving someone there all day it would be great. Obviously we're still in planning stages, but as we get closer we'll need all the help we can get.

If anyone wants to volunteer please post up here or shoot me a PM. I'll start tracking names and contact people as it gets closer!

So Excited!!

Offline TerryT

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:46:12 PM »
Great News!!! Looking forward to getting firm info on the dates. There's a bunch of us from Texas ready to start making vacation and travel plans.   :cool:
It's not the Years, It's the Mileage
09 GXP, Wicked w/Tan top, Baccarat Wheels, MBRP Exhaust & Intercooler Pipes, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,LV Brace, ZOK Rear Sway Bar, Custom Windrestrictor, Vredestein Tires, Solo Hi-Flo Cat, DDM Turbo Upgrade.

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 03:07:35 PM »
Great News!!! Looking forward to getting firm info on the dates. There's a bunch of us from Texas ready to start making vacation and travel plans.   :cool:

As of now dates are June 19-22 (give or take a day or so for your own arrival/departure). It has to be held during Summer Solstice!! HOPEFULLY signing the contract this week. It's looking REALLY good!

It will be great to have you all attend and I look forward to meeting you all :)

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 03:22:18 PM »
Thanks IHawk, we were discussing that yesterday. If we can get volunteers and schedule them, i.e., 2 hours at registration rather than leaving someone there all day it would be great. Obviously we're still in planning stages, but as we get closer we'll need all the help we can get.

If anyone wants to volunteer please post up here or shoot me a PM. I'll start tracking names and contact people as it gets closer!

So Excited!!

Yup...like I said...vendor stuff...whatever.  Our little NEO group has been talking about this too.  We'll help you guys out.  Just let us know what ya need!  I'm going to get all our stuff D2 has been storing from him in a few weeks.  Not sure what all is in the stash, but if there is anything good that might useful for 2014, I'll let you know.

I think Mark and Patty might still have our raffle boxes.  I can't remember if they said last year they had finally gotten rid of that stuff or what.  So we might still have stuff like that.

Anyway, you already know you can put Marky and I down.  I think Diane and Michele have been talking to Mark too.  We're in!!

Try to get Howard to do your Garmin mapping for you.  He's really, really, really good at that stuff and he loves doing it.  He will own it.  He might say no, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  (Yes...I realize what I just said.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 03:26:34 PM by ihawk95 »

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »
Yup...like I said...vendor stuff...whatever.  Our little NEO group has been talking about this too.  We'll help you guys out.  Just let us know what ya need!  I'm going to get all our stuff D2 has been storing from him in a few weeks.  Not sure what all is in the stash, but if there is anything good that might useful for 2014, I'll let you know.

I think Mark and Patty might still have our raffle boxes.  I can't remember if they said last year they had finally gotten rid of that stuff or what.  So we might still have stuff like that.

Anyway, you already know you can put Marky and I down.  I think Diane and Michele have been talking to Mark too.  We're in!!

Try to get Howard to do your Garmin mapping for you.  He's really, really, really good at that stuff and he loves doing it.  He will own it.  He might say no, but it doesn't hurt to ask.  (Yes...I realize what I just said.)

Thanks! I'm pretty sure Howie is already in, but I know Diane & Michele enjoy that too as they love driving the roads. The problem with some of them near PA are they look great but they turn out to be gravel :( 

I know Michele also mentioned Mark so I think everyone you named has been contacted and is already involved and helping out somehow! :)

Thank you NEOs!

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 05:23:02 PM »
Thanks! I'm pretty sure Howie is already in, but I know Diane & Michele enjoy that too as they love driving the roads. The problem with some of them near PA are they look great but they turn out to be gravel :( 

I know Michele also mentioned Mark so I think everyone you named has been contacted and is already involved and helping out somehow! :)

Thank you NEOs!

Oh by all means...Diane and Michele should plan whatever runs they want to do.  I know they have a blast with it.  Then have Howard come in and work the routes for the Garmins.  Inputting all that stuff takes a lot of time and he will fine tune it down to a science!  Then you can set up some sort of area or station where people can get them for whatever run they have chosen.  Or just give them to the RC's and sweeps.  Whatever works.  I know it's getting a little trickier now that the new Garmins use something besides Mapsource.  It just frees you guys up to focus on other things.

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
Oh by all means...Diane and Michele should plan whatever runs they want to do.  I know they have a blast with it.  Then have Howard come in and work the routes for the Garmins.  Inputting all that stuff takes a lot of time and he will fine tune it down to a science!  Then you can set up some sort of area or station where people can get them for whatever run they have chosen.  Or just give them to the RC's and sweeps.  Whatever works.  I know it's getting a little trickier now that the new Garmins use something besides Mapsource.  It just frees you guys up to focus on other things.

Thanks for the assist, I just meant that's not my area :)  Dengel & Solli are on that! But definitely good advice!!!

Offline TerryT

• Tech
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 11:48:36 PM »
It will be great to have you all attend and I look forward to meeting you all :)

:thumbs:
After you've spent some time with us I'll remind you that you said that. :D
It's not the Years, It's the Mileage
09 GXP, Wicked w/Tan top, Baccarat Wheels, MBRP Exhaust & Intercooler Pipes, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,LV Brace, ZOK Rear Sway Bar, Custom Windrestrictor, Vredestein Tires, Solo Hi-Flo Cat, DDM Turbo Upgrade.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2013, 01:01:59 AM »
I'd love to volunteer, but unfortunately I don't have a Kappa anymore so I'm eliminated from the volunteer pool.
Make the right choices now

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 01:40:03 AM »
I'd love to volunteer, but unfortunately I don't have a Kappa anymore so I'm eliminated from the volunteer pool.

You wish! I'll find you some work Kappa or no Kappa!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 05:33:36 AM »
Never been to a national meet before but hope to make this one.   :yay:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 07:27:34 AM »
Never been to a national meet before but hope to make this one.   :yay:

It's similar to a mod meet except 10x more people and nobody does any work, they just stand around watching DDM & JPM do all the work. Oh wait ... it's EXACTLY like a mod meet, only bigger! ;)

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »
I really believe this one could be huge, and it has great potential to be pure awesomeness!

Like Shiny said...it will be very much like the mod meet, except way more people and lots of stuff to do during the day.  Meanwhile we'll find a place to talk cars and be merry at night!

Offline sirwm

• Tech
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 09:12:59 AM »

As of now dates are June 19-22 (give or take a day or so for your own arrival/departure)...

Thanks for the info...

This will be my first opportunity to attend an event of this size...    :)
wr

Offline stuck

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2013, 09:35:56 AM »
As of now dates are June 19-22 (give or take a day or so for your own arrival/departure). It has to be held during Summer Solstice!! HOPEFULLY signing the contract this week. It's looking REALLY good!
Excellent! This is what we've been waiting for. Like TerryT said, we're making this a 2 week road trip and the early heads up on the dates is really appreciated. Having been on the inside for a couple of these, I know the work that's involved and want to thank the whole team up there for taking this on.
My :2c:: Ignore 99% of the comments you'll see on the forums. Bottom line is that if you hold it, they will come.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2013, 09:56:46 AM »
Texans!!  Texans!! Texans!!!   :yay:

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 10:22:12 AM »
Excellent! This is what we've been waiting for. Like TerryT said, we're making this a 2 week road trip and the early heads up on the dates is really appreciated. Having been on the inside for a couple of these, I know the work that's involved and want to thank the whole team up there for taking this on.
My :2c:: Ignore 99% of the comments you'll see on the forums. Bottom line is that if you hold it, they will come.

Thank you!

Don't lock in the dates just yet as Dengel & Solli are waiting to sign the contract. But if all goes well, those are the ones we will be using!

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
Thank you!

Don't lock in the dates just yet as Dengel & Solli are waiting to sign the contract. But if all goes well, those are the ones we will be using!

Looks like you let the monster out of its cage, but I'll wait for the "official" announcement before I make a decision. 
Aggressive #000741

Offline SolNut

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2013, 12:15:48 PM »
 :drive: I believe we will make it NINE!!  :yay:

Now to start filling out the dance card for the inbound and outbound segments.......... :idk:

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »
Looks like you let the monster out of its cage, but I'll wait for the "official" announcement before I make a decision. 

No way!!  You'll have a family function come up for the same weekend!  Guaranteed!!!  :lol:

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 12:55:53 PM »

I don't think so, Michele already mentioned it on Facebook so I think it's okay. :) 

If not I'm in big trouble!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline stuck

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2013, 01:00:10 PM »
...but I'll wait for the "official" announcement before I make a decision.
Very true, Dave. :thumbs:
Big thing for us is knowing that it's a traditional Thursday-Sunday type instead of a week day one like Austin. Sliding the date back or pushing it forward a week is the easy part...

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2013, 01:01:11 PM »
Is there a section for ex kappa owners?
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE