Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: You can use a same-year GXP cluster in your V8 Kappa (lower indicated redline)  (Read 4485 times)

Offline username

• Tech
After a little experimentation (and failure), I've discovered that swaps of same-year GXP/Redline clusters will work in a Base Kappa. If you want full DIC functionality (anything beyond the odometer), you need to source a cluster from a same-year donor. If you only need speed/tach/gas and idiot lights, you can mix years, but given that the coolant temp is ONLY on the DIC, that seems like a poor choice unless you have an aftermarket coolant temp gauge.

The GXP/Redline cluster will have a 6250 indicated redline, versus the base's 6900 RPM redline. Unless you went with an LS7, this is likely to be a better match for your engine's capabilities. As a bonus, you get a 160MPH speedometer that will read correctly with no changes required.

Drawback: on startup (with a GXP cluster), the message will read "Solstice GXP". I say it's no big deal to finally ditch the red-on-white cluster that looked like something a teenager would have installed in his Honda to look cool back in '99.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Hmmm, I had no idea that the NA's have such a high redline.

I also had heard that any cluster was swappable... obviously not.  Thanks for the research.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline username

• Tech
For an inline 4 in a modern sports car, 6900 doesn't seem very high.

I was surprised that the LNFs was so low, but I imagine that's more a function of the stock turbo's sizing than the engine's revability.

I've heard that a boost gauge is part of the DIC function in the GXP cluster, it doesn't show up when installed in a NA car.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
1 - I'll bet a lot of the codgers on here would give a lot for full DIC functionality......   :poke:

2 - maximum RPM depends on how and engine is set up as well as how durable the bist and pieces are.  I race an engine built in 1958 that had a stock red line of 7,000 (I run mine as high as 7,800, built for racing).  The lower red line for the LNF is based on power curve for the turbo application - no point buzzing the nuts off it when you can just shift and land right on top of that big, flat torque curve in the next gear.  You could certainly build a high reving LNF (I forget what the valve bounce rpm is but someone will remember) but it would be suitable for use with a larger turbo that would give impressive power up top while giving lessened punch low down and you'd have to change your driving technique to suit.  There are also inherent flow limitations in the LNF head that would have to be addressed - porting is really necessary for big flow increases.

The LE5 develops maximum power at 6,600 rpm (it is 6,200 in other applications with about 5 bhp less in HHR etc.) so the 300 rpm leeway before you hit red line is about right.  The LNF is tuned to give maximum power at 5,300 rpm (that turbo thing) so the stock red line of 6,200 is more than enough leeway.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline cooper1340s

• Tech
So I guess this swap does not apply to 2006 cars converted to V8, since there were no GXP's made in 06.
06 SLY, Sand&Steel, Formerly DDM Stage III Intercooled/Supercharged: NOW LS3/480 V8, Tremec 6 speed, 3.23 positraction Getrag differential, custom stainless steel true dual exhaust system w/high flow cats, carbon fiber rear valance, red powder coated calipers, DDMWorks Stage 1 brake upgrade, extra horn, garage door opener, customized fuse box cover, Red anodized engine covers, DDMWorks console, Lambo doors, clear bra, DDMWorks red racing backbone, car is de-badged.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Well there were GXPs made in 06 but they are considered 07s so a late 06 NA may still work with a 07 GXP cluster.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline username

• Tech
From some Cobalt forums:

If the DIC is to be fully functional then follow these guidelines. (If you don't then only the odometer, analog gauges, and warning lights will function)
  • 05-06 year models are interchangable.
  • 07 must be from an 07 model.
  • 08-10 models are completely interchangeable.

Offline agent008

• Tech
Hello. I hope that posting on old topics is not considered a bad practice here, as I realized that in another Solstice Frum it is actually encouraged for later research purposes.

I joined this forum last October and back then was looking for a Solstice. I have finally accomplished my dream of having my very own Pontiac Solstice. It is an Aggressive Red '06 2.4, I've had it for 3 weeks now and am just loving it. Odo read about 7000 miles (11.300km). On the day I bought it I just filled it up and drove it 200 miles home. Talk about a nice satisfying drive!

About the cluster change. I've bought a salvaged 2009 Chevrolet Captiva for parts (including the 3.6l LY7 HFV6) and couldn't help but notice its cluster has the gauges approximately in the same place shape as the Solstice's, but the DIC is more modern. Speedo and Tach are in opposite sides to the Kappas. I am not sure about pin compatibility but I caught myself thinking whether the Solstice would accept the Captiva's cluster. Brazilian speeds are in kph and the kph readout from the Solstice's speedo is a joke, barely readable unless driving at night, then it is possible to have a vague guess as to how many kph you're doing.

A few questions popped into my head - what about the odometer reading? Will the DIC be able to talk in the same language as the BCM? Will it retain configurability? Are there any people that can alter the cluster's internal software to be able to retain the config menu? Then, there's also the question of size. Captiva's cluster seems to be wider because all of the 'idiot lights' are on the sides, flanking the speedo and tach instead of in between them (that's where the graphical DIC is located).

For reference here's the Captiva cluster:

And here's the Solstice's:

Connector seems to be compatible. Any opinions. Will it work? As to whether it'll fit, I imagine it will require some modding to the dash..?

(By the way, I'm not sure how to add inline images or resize linked images, if anybody knows how please let me know. thanks)

Offline cammerjeff

• Tech
Sorry I can not help you with the interchange questions you have, but it may be easier to find someone parting out a Canadian or Mexican market 2006 Solstice, they would have a Speedo that reads in KPH. Just a thought.

2006 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2 manual Trans, 2009 N/A Coupe #663, manual Trans

Offline cammerjeff

• Tech
Or you could modify your current cluster with a card from here

https://www.blackcatcustom.ca/Pontiac%20Solstice.htm

2006 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2 manual Trans, 2009 N/A Coupe #663, manual Trans

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
These instruments are a resolver meaning that the computer has the ability to drive the needle to a specific position.  So putting a gauge in that has a different unit of measure could mean the needle is in a different position then what the computer would drive it to.

Installing the new dial art might  be the best way to correct this.

On my G6 there isn't a MPH or KPH scale there is just one scale and you set the units in the DIC settings.  The computer then repositions the needle to the correct speed position and turns on a light to say MPH or KPH

On the Sol I believe you can set the units also but that will just change the odometer units.

The Captiva cluster may not even communicate with the Solstice BCM.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline agent008

• Tech
Thanks. The Black Cat dial faces seem to be a good option. I asked about the Captiva cluster because it will come with the donor car I acquired.

Say for instance I get my hands on a Mexican/Canadian Solstice cluster. Do I have to take any precautions regarding the odometer? I remember many years ago a tech telling (but I don't remember which automaker, maybe VW?) that when you added a new cluster to the car, the cluster would add the BCM/ECM odometer reading to its own, this was a way the manufacturer found to avoid odometer fraud and also encourage replacements to be made only with new (with a zeroed odometer) clusters. BCM/ECM mileage + cluster mileage would equal the actual mileage since cluster's was zero.

But, I have no clue whether this happens with the Kappas.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Blackcat also has LED lights you can upgrade the bulbs on the gauges.  Makes it easier to see also.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Say for instance I get my hands on a Mexican/Canadian Solstice cluster. Do I have to take any precautions regarding the odometer? I remember many years ago a tech telling (but I don't remember which automaker, maybe VW?) that when you added a new cluster to the car, the cluster would add the BCM/ECM odometer reading to its own, this was a way the manufacturer found to avoid odometer fraud and also encourage replacements to be made only with new (with a zeroed odometer) clusters. BCM/ECM mileage + cluster mileage would equal the actual mileage since cluster's was zero.

AFAIK, the mileage (kilometerage?) is stored in the BCM, so it doesn't matter if you swap the cluster (as long as it is compatible).  But again, if you get a Mexican/Canadian cluster, you can just swap the faceplates anyway.  Blackcat is a great way to go, you can get the updated 'trunk open' icon and customized how you want it to look.  BUT, it may end up being more expensive than a used cluster - depending on what you change.  See: http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,3338.msg40653.html#msg40653
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline agent008

• Tech
That's nice, I never knew there was a TomatoSoup easter egg on BlackCat's Solstice cluster fascias.
The fascia I'd like to have is similar to what you mention in the other topic. Black with white lettering and a red outline for the dials, only with Pontiac/Solstice fonts.