Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Any other sources for the BOSCH MAF sensors?  (Read 9242 times)

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
Any other sources for the BOSCH MAF sensors?
« on: August 22, 2013, 10:50:09 AM »
I have the GMPP turbo upgrade, and also a custom tune (which is awesome!) but in the past couple weeks the turbo is acting weird, surging, not working at all, etc.  The CEL is on...last time all this happened, there was an issue with the Bosch sensors in the GMPP kit, and changing the MAF (I think that was the one) sensor fixed the issue.
I just hate shelling out so much coin on an annual basis for the sensors...does anyone know if there is there a cheaper source for them?

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Any other sources for the BOSCH MAF sensors?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:57:13 AM »
The Bosch sensors are the MAP and TMAP, and I've never seen a report of any actually failing (though many have been erroneously replaced).  First thing to do is make sure the connections are soldered, since the crimped connections are a (very) common source of failure.

But you talk about the MAF having been an issue before.  That's a different sensor and has been known to fail, though may just require cleaning.

Bottom line, before you start throwing money away, get the codes read and report back.  Your symptoms could be caused by many different things and is extremely unlikely to be the GMPP sensors.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 11:09:26 AM »
If you have MAF codes, 90% of the time they can be fixed by a can of contact cleaner and a liberal spraying of the MAF sensor. This is very common with high flow filters.
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »
I need to get the codes.  But until then, i can describe the issue best as the turbo is "breathing"...what I mean is when you put the petal down it should spool and then release pressure when you let off the petal.  What it does when you put the hammer down is spool, release, spool, release, repeat.  And no reading for pressure on the DIC. 

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 12:06:29 PM »
Again, can't really tell without codes, but most likely reasons are the GMPP sensor splices need soldering, followed by leaking intake tubes (OEM clamps need to be tightened/replaced) or ballooned and leaking intercooler.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 03:54:08 PM »
I agree with TS

FYI Kenny is selling the sensor you are looking for.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 05:07:37 PM »
I agree with TS

FYI Kenny is selling the sensor you are looking for.

Those aren't the droids your looking for...
Make the right choices now

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 06:25:07 PM »
Have to check the inter cooler and still don't have the codes, but can report the leads were soldered already.

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 07:55:39 AM »
Ok got the codes:
p0011
p0299
p0106
Issue is intermittent, depends on key cycle.
Any thoughts?

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 09:45:50 AM »
OK, so the combination of P0106 (MAP) and P0299 (Underboost) defiately point to an intake air leak, as we've suggested. Either leaking intake tubes (OEM clamps need to be tightened/replaced) or ballooned and leaking intercooler.

First stop is to check and R&R these and cure your main issue.

The P0011 is the camshaft position sensor.  That might be a side effect of the above, or it could be a genuine fault.  Find/fix the above first, clear the codes, then see if the 0011 comes back.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/code-p0011-camshaft-position-actuator-48080/index2.html#post1052968

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 12:16:01 AM »
Soup man

You are good.

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 08:09:48 AM »
Thanks...I will check it out!  :)

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 12:46:09 PM »
OK, so the combination of P0106 (MAP) and P0299 (Underboost) defiately point to an intake air leak, as we've suggested. Either leaking intake tubes (OEM clamps need to be tightened/replaced) or ballooned and leaking intercooler.

First stop is to check and R&R these and cure your main issue.

The P0011 is the camshaft position sensor.  That might be a side effect of the above, or it could be a genuine fault.  Find/fix the above first, clear the codes, then see if the 0011 comes back.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/code-p0011-camshaft-position-actuator-48080/index2.html#post1052968

OK, sorry for the long delay in replying...started a new job and other "real life" stuff has been happening...finally have a second to get back here to report:

I had the intercooler, the intake tubes, and the clamps all checked/tightened and they are all ok.  Still having the issue though.  Car starts and runs A-OK, but turbo only spools to about 8 or 10 PSI and then "exhales", only to spool back up and repeat the loss of pressure. 

Is it possible it is a waste gate issue?  Is there a way to check that?

If you have MAF codes, 90% of the time they can be fixed by a can of contact cleaner and a liberal spraying of the MAF sensor. This is very common with high flow filters.

THAT sounds like one I can tackle myself.  Does anyone have a picture/description of where the MAF is, so I can be sure I am doing the correct one?  Any "be careful because if you do xyz this way you will make the car explode" warnings I should know about?

Thanks guys...sorry for the long delay in getting additional information back to this thread.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 08:51:58 PM »
Ive got a good MAF sensor that you can tryout to see if that fixes the problem.  If it is the problem ill sell it to you.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 01:27:17 AM »
Ive got a good MAF sensor that you can tryout to see if that fixes the problem.  If it is the problem ill sell it to you.

That sounds so familiar :)

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2013, 04:32:02 AM »

Thanks Tazz!  PM sent.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2013, 04:46:56 AM »
What the heck are you doing up at 2:30 Am??????

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »
He was worried about his car and couldnt sleep

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »

THAT sounds like one I can tackle myself.  Does anyone have a picture/description of where the MAF is, so I can be sure I am doing the correct one?  Any "be careful because if you do xyz this way you will make the car explode" warnings I should know about?

The sensor looks like this:

You will find it near the front of the engine bay, just behind the airbox in the intake tube. It has a large purple plug attached to it. Remove that plug then take two screws out that hold it in your intake. Then take your can of MAF cleaner and spray everything very liberally (you cannot hurt it with the cleaner) You will want to spray the wire inside the card (this is the actual "sensor"). Then re-install the MAF sensor, hook up the plug and see what happens.

The cleaner is at your local auto parts store. Looks like this:

Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 12:59:04 PM »
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 02:18:17 AM »
What the heck are you doing up at 2:30 Am??????

Elff is right, tossing and turning with worry for my poor sick Solstice...

Thanks guys, for the pics and info and video, this is fantastic information!  I was just telling Tazz via PM that I have been telling people at work about how Kappa people stick together and they are jealous!  Of course, they are jealous about the car in the first place, but the fact that we are a community is icing on the cake.   :tool:

I'll be taking a couple days off at Christmas and MAF cleaning will be attempted at that time!  Thanks again for the "how too" Miller11386 and Kelu! 

Tazz, your offer of the "trial MAF" is awesome.  I'm going to try this cleaner first and see if that maybe fixes the problem as the least expensive alternative, but I'm very grateful for your offer and will keep it at the ready in case the MAF cleaning does not do the trick. 

I'll report back to let you all know if it works.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
Elff is right, tossing and turning with worry for my poor sick Solstice...

Thanks guys, for the pics and info and video, this is fantastic information!  I was just telling Tazz via PM that I have been telling people at work about how Kappa people stick together and they are jealous!  Of course, they are jealous about the car in the first place, but the fact that we are a community is icing on the cake.   :tool:

I'll be taking a couple days off at Christmas and MAF cleaning will be attempted at that time!  Thanks again for the "how too" Miller11386 and Kelu! 

Tazz, your offer of the "trial MAF" is awesome.  I'm going to try this cleaner first and see if that maybe fixes the problem as the least expensive alternative, but I'm very grateful for your offer and will keep it at the ready in case the MAF cleaning does not do the trick. 

I'll report back to let you all know if it works.

Ace,

Many years ago I had a thread exactly like yours. Including receiving an offer to borrow a MAF and test it. I did everything to try to find the source for my codes including buying better clamps (three times) cleaning the MAF (3 thousand times) resetting the ECM (143 times in 99 days) changing to aftermarket IC tubes, removing the front bumper to fully inspect the IC.........

After all of that work, what finally fixed my Gremlin (Kelu sent the Gremlin to me, that smelly bastard) was a good tuning session.  HP Tuners, time data logging and emailing and retuning. For what ever reason, it took nearly a dozen (not an exaggeration this time) sessions to get the car working.

With all that said, check all the easy / free / cheap stuff first, but start saving your pennies for HPTuners.

Oh, and GO PATS!!!!!!

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2013, 01:40:37 PM »
Thanks Gentleman Jack for the heads up.  I'm hopeful that either the cleaning of the current sensor or the replacement of same will do the trick.  But, to your point, and thanks to TomatoSoup's excellent suggestions for where to start the troubleshooting, I've now ruled out the intercooler, the intercooler clamps, and the connections for the sensors being soldered.  Once the MAP has been cleaned, and if that does not work the new MAP goes in, and that doesn't work...definitely time to go back to the tuner's, unless there is some other thing to try.  Crossing fingers for the cheaper of the remaining alternatives!  :)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2013, 03:31:18 AM »
Going back to the tuner should be free, so that's a cheap option!

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2013, 12:16:05 PM »
OK, here's the update...
I got the spray cleaner, got the MAF out, sprayed it liberally, and reinstalled.  On the test drive on the way outbound, the turbo wasn't fixed, but it did boost a couple PSI higher than it had been.  On the return trip for the test drive, it stopped boosting past 1 or 2 PSI.  All of this was in one key cycle.  To me this seems to point to the MAF, or at the very least to say my MAF is wonky, even if it isn't the overall problem.  Tazz...there's a PM on the way!