Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Any other sources for the BOSCH MAF sensors?  (Read 9217 times)

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
Re: Any other sources for the BOSCH MAF sensors?
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 01:09:18 PM »
Update-

OK, Tazz is awesome and I got the "loaner MAF" for the trial.  I put it in and ran the car for a couple days with a couple hour or so drives.  At first, it seemed a bit peppier, and spiked to 17, but that was just once, and was quickly back down to what it has been doing with the other MAF: routinely boosting to between 8 and 10, and the staying at that number.  But you can hear the "PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" of the blowoff going.  So it is still trying to boost past it, but for some reason it just won't keep the PSI past 8 or 10.  In the second half of all the drives, it then boosts to nothing, or 1.  Until the next keycycle, at which time it will boost to 8 or 10 again for a bit, and keep trying to boost but just keep blowing off "PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF", and then boost to 0 or 1.

Here is my read on all of this, please let me know if this makes sense or if I am totally off base:
1-car turned on, ECM reads, MAF senses, we start moving. 
2-floor the gas in the test.  MAF senses, ECM boosts up and tries to max, but for whatever reason, will not hold PSI past 10.  ECM keeps trying to boost, "PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF".  PSI 8-10.
3-ECM gets sick of this crap, especially since I'm flooring it a lot in the test drives and it keeps not holding pressure past 8 or 10, and decides that there is a problem and it needs to keep the engine safe, so it goes into limp mode and then I get home with little or no turbo, but car running fine in all other respects.
4-new keycycle, new day.  ECM says "I don't want to be in limp mode", so boosts to 8-10 ad tries to boos more but just can't.  Decides to go back to limp mode.
4-repeat next day, etc.

I have one more thing I need to try, which is to clear the error codes.  I have a buddy that has a dashhawk I'll borrow in a day or two.  So, I think the first test drive with the "loaner MAF" and the codes cleared is the deal.  If it is still not holding boost then, I'm at a loss.

Has anyone had the wastegate fail?  What are the symptoms of that...are they anything like what I'm seeing? 

Oh, and GO PATS!!!!!!

Agreed!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 03:05:37 PM »
OK, definitely comes back to having an intake leak somewhere.  Classic symptoms. See: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f43/turbo-psi-gauge-not-reading-stays-0-psi-75706/#post1129530

So you said you had the I/C and pipe clamps checked.  By who and how thoroughly?  If you still have the factory worm clamps on the intake tubes, I would go through all the ones on the driver side from the kinked, large aluminum tube back to the throttle body.  Undo them and check the threads - they may appear tight, but still have stripped threads and be letting boost air out.  Like this:

Then there's still the Cam sensor code...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 03:11:11 PM by TomatoSoup »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 03:37:21 PM »
When a waste gate goes bad the exhaust gas bypasses the turbo wheel and you get low or no boost.  You generally won't see boosting to 17 (which is about normal boost for a non tuned car) even for a short time.  You could have a problem with the waste gate controller but I would think that would set a code.

Another place to look is the blow off valve, if the spring is bad or something is keeping it from sealling properly it could be your leak.

At this point without knowing what the current codes are or if a previously set code is contributing to the problem it's anyones guess.  Reset the codes run it and set what happens.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2014, 06:15:11 PM »
OK sorry for the delay it's been a hell of a couple weeks.

The latest:
1-sent MAF back to Tazz and reinstalled my old one which checked out ok.  Tazz, it is supremely cool that you let me try if to see if it was the problem.  Please let me know if you got it back ok.  If not I can check the tracking number.
2-cleared the codes.  As the light comes back on a day or so later, it is always (talking 5 times in a row) the "2261 turbo/sprchrgr bypass".  No other code.  Clear the code, get that code, clear the code, repeat.  Any thoughts?  Does that code in particular usually mean something specific I can check?
3- I will deffenitely check the pipe clamps and the blowoff valve as per the previous 2 posts, unless somebody has something more specific for "2261 turbo/sprchrgr bypass".
4- I will search when I get back to my laptop for any waste gate "how to" thread that may have been put up but offhand does anyone know of a thread like that on the forum?
5- I am also going to clean my K&N air filter.  It's a little early but it can't hurt.
6-my poor car looks horrible with all the salt from all the road treatments and snowstorms!

Thanks again to everyone...I feel like it's getting closer to being isolated, one way or another. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:52:33 PM by WWI Flying Ace »

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
That code is for "turbocharger bypass valve stuck closed"

There is a solenoid that controls the valve, the solenoid is controlled by the ECM.  The solenoid is on the driver side of the engine.  There is a vacuum line that comes off the top front part of the turbo (there is a round plastic housing) runs around the front of the engine and then back to the intake manifold.  Follow that line and you will find the solenoid, it's just inboard of the oil dip stick. Inspect the line for the leaks and make sure the electrical connections on the solenoid are solid.

If the engine doesn't sense this valve is working it will pull boost to prevent damage to the engine.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 02:17:33 PM »
Thanks, Sol Asylum!  That sounds like a very specific thing that this particular code means.  I'm really happy about that because usually those codes are really vague.  We're getting another snow storm here starting tonight/tomorrow so I won't be able to check until next weekend, but I'm itching to see if this is it...crossing fingers too that if it is, it'll be something obvious I can fix, (a leak in the line, or a loose connection, etc.)

I'll report back once I can get under the hood!  Everyone enjoy the game tonight!

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2014, 03:46:23 PM »
OK, so as soon as I got dug out and started driving around, I started to get the p0010 and p0011 CAM codes again…a lot.  It is also still throwing p2261 often.  Those are the 3 that it is tossing consistently.  And now my gas mileage is consistently 25% worse than it used to be. 

There are several “might be this” issues listed for 0010 and 0011, but the one that they both share that includes a loss of fuel economy looks like it may be an ECM problem.  So after a lot of review of the trouble codes and what they mean, I’m afraid I may be looking at 2 things.  Others have alluded to that in this thread too and I was hoping that it would not be so but it looks like it might be.

1-turbocharger bypass valve stuck closed as noted before. 
2-And maybe also, an ECM issue.

I’m not in a place to do an expensive fix because “it’s not as much fun to drive since the turbo is only working half way” right now…and it keeps starting every day, running smoothly, and getting me to and from work.  BUT…is there a way for a mechanic to check if an ECM is bad, or is it a “you replace it and see if it fixed the problem” kind of part? 

Thanks to you all for the help on this.  It’s getting to be a drawn out thing but as long as the car is getting me to and from work I’m ok with waiting until I can get it fixed. 

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2014, 04:22:42 PM »
What year is your car?

(I'm on mobile, can see all the stats, sorry)

IF its a 2007 and ONLY if its a 2007, you can swap anybody else's 2007 ECM so long as its the 2.0 and the same transmission.  Perhaps someone close?
Make the right choices now

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2014, 04:42:11 PM »
It is a 2007 GXP, with a manual transmission and the GMPP tune + got a "GMPP + super tune" a couple years ago at a very good and Solstice experienced speed shop.  This series of issues manifested about a year afterwards.

For my purposes, I'm thinking that means that even if 2007 ECMs are more forgiving normally, I will still need to go back to the speed shop and get the GM flash + their extra flash.  But I guess the good thing is it'll be easier to find the part itsself since it is an 07. 

Is that accurate or am I off base?

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2014, 05:36:34 PM »
Is probably not the ECM. Just go back to the shop it did your tune and have them calibrated.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2014, 04:33:10 PM »
OK, sorry to bring back a zombie thread but this is where the history of this is and shall stay.  :)
I got the recall done yesterday, and took the Kappa knowledgeable tech for a short drive.  He said that with the codes and the way it is acting, it is very likely the wastegate, or the wastegate actuator.  I talked to the service guy...he said the wastegate is part of the turbo and the fix for that is to replace the whole turbo.  But he said that the actuator is something that could also be the issue, and that is an estimated one hour fix, plus the part.  I looked on GM Parts Direct and could not find the actuator...does anyone know where I might find one?  Also...does this make sense?  It does to me, but I wanted to see what you guys thought.  Still won't be spending anything on it at present, but I think I've maybe got a good lead on diagnosing the problem.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 07:18:39 PM »
Screw GM Parts Direct.   They Suck

Crate Engine Depot is a forum sponsor, has better pricing and you can talk to an actual person.
Here is a direct link to the part you are looking for
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Actuator-19168559-P24027.aspx

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 09:23:15 PM »
It makes sense to me but then its what I posted about before.  The actuator is a solenoid.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2014, 12:10:18 AM »
Screw GM Parts Direct.   They Suck

Crate Engine Depot is a forum sponsor, has better pricing and you can talk to an actual person.
Here is a direct link to the part you are looking for
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/Actuator-19168559-P24027.aspx

Thanks Elff!

It makes sense to me but then its what I posted about before.  The actuator is a solenoid.

You did indeed!  I didn't realize they were one and the same, but I'm glad to hear that they are, especially since that is the part of the turbo that is accessible.  :)   

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
Bringing this thread back from the dead...because tomorrow I finallly get the actuator fixed.  I will let you all know how it goes...I'm really hoping this is the issue affter so much troubleshooting and time.  It isn't a cheap part but now I finally have it in hand and I'm taking her to the speed shop tomorrow AM.  Wish me luck!

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2015, 02:52:02 PM »
Turbo is fixed, but still have a couple codes.  I'm going to start a different thread about 'em.  Great to be boosting up to 22 again though!