Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Caliper Clearance?  (Read 6532 times)

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
Re: Caliper Clearance?
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 10:42:38 PM »
The caliper body moves inboard as the pads wears to compensate for wear on the outboard pad, the piston takes up wear on the inboard pad.

concur

If the caliper can't move then how would the outside pad be able to move outboard any more then where it starts at with a new pad?  I think you might be overthinking this one.

Concur again... but overthinking things is my style.  Especially when I'm in a position where I can't just walk out in the garage to check things out on my own car.   :( :gaah:

Thanks again for all the help.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 01:58:58 AM »
So the front brake calipers are larger (big surprise right) thus the clearances are less.

Minimum clearance from the caliper to the wheel is about 1/4"

(Attachment Link)

The distance from the hub face the wheel bolts to out to the caliper is about 3/4", the hub face is inset from the caliper.

(Attachment Link)

The brakes have about 4500 miles on them so they are practically new.  I didn't measure the rear brakes because the front ones will be the critical dimensions but if you need them let me know.

Anyone got some stock wheels laying around already dismounted that they can throw a square on and take a measurement like SA has done here.  Need the distance from the mounting pad to the inside of the spoke.  According to SA's measurements, that should be right about 1".  Can anyone confirm?

I'm going to look at the wheels here tomorrow.  Still not sure I want to get the 18"x9.5" ET38 and mill the mounting pads (if there's room) or if I should play it safer and get 18x8.5 ET35 and have them widened if I decide to do so later on down the road.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 11:34:41 AM »
If they are that cheap- why not by two sets and just sell one later?
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 11:47:50 AM »
The spokes are not parallel to the flange so that dimension will change depending on the diameter it's measured at.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »
If they are that cheap- why not by two sets and just sell one later?

Tried that angle... can't sell it to CINC House.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
The spokes are not parallel to the flange so that dimension will change depending on the diameter it's measured at.

Most critically, I'd be looking for that dimension at the diameter where the stock caliper protrudes most :)