Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Solo advice needed re: SCCA rules  (Read 1772 times)

Offline SKYHI

• Apprentice/Gofer
Solo advice needed re: SCCA rules
« on: March 21, 2014, 02:06:00 PM »
I'm new to the forum and an addicted autocrosser since I got my Redline.
SCCA's convoluted rules have put GXP's and Redline's in A Street this year.
So I need help/advise on how to go faster, and stay in stock class.
current setup:
'08 Redline with 33K miles, ZOK rear sway bar, RE-11's, corner balanced with ZOK alignment, Magnaflow exhaust.

Thanks in advance

« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:15:23 PM by Sly Bob, Reason: Added to title for clarity »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Solo advice needed
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
First let me say welcome to the forum.     :thumbs:

I have changed the title of the tread to reflect the fact that you are looking for suggestions, as some may have thought you are asking about Solo exhausts. I can't offer any suggestions as I'm not as well versed in the SCCA rules as some here.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 03:32:18 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline GXP_Matt

• Tech
Re: Solo advice needed re: SCCA rules
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 03:32:19 PM »
I autocross my GXP in A Street and have been running it on street tires for a while now.  The biggest thing you can do to go faster is improve your driving!  Do as many events as you can and try to learn from fast people.  Also look up if there are any Evolution driving schools anywhere near you.  They are worth traveling for.  Your car is already close to the prep limit for Street class.  I have Koni Yellows all around on my car as well, they are a nice upgrade.  I run the fronts at 1.5 turns from soft and the rears at .5-1 turn from soft, depending on the conditions.  The RE-11s are decent tires but they aren't top tier, you will want 245/40-18 Dunlop ZIIs or BFG Rivals for that last half second.  You can run those tires at ~32-34 psi since they are meant for aggressive driving and won't fold over onto the sidewall.  My alignment is 3 degrees negative camber up front, 1.5 in the rear, and zero toe (maybe a smidge of rear toe in).    The Z0k spec is something like 1-1.5 front camber right?  I would definitely add more if you are serious about autocross performance.  I still daily drive my car and I get about 9 months out of a set of tires (120+ autox runs and 4k+ street miles), even with 3 deg front camber.

I ran in A Street at the SCCA National tour in south georgia last weekend and got 3rd out of 6, behind a S2000 CR and a 996, and in front of a C5 Z06 and a Cayman S.  I wasn't very happy with my driving though, I could have gotten 2nd easily.  Those CRs are wicked fast though.  Here's one my runs from the Tour:
2007 zero option GXP, SCCA A-Street
Full LNF Z0k conversion, Koni Yellows, Solo Race, SSR wheels, BF Goodrich Rivals in 245/40-18

2013 North Carolina Street Tire class champion

Offline SKYHI

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 08:31:10 PM »
Matt,

Thanks for the input.
For alignment I'm at -2.3 in the front and -1.5 in the back.
I've got the car turning in pretty good. 
What changed when you added the Koni's?

Here is a link to the SF bay area autocross scene
http://www.baautox.com

Out here is the west I'm lucky enough to run with 3 of the numerous groups we have
I've been to 2 EVO schools ( it rained both times) But , I'm very fast in the rain.

Here are some links to results from the last couple of events I've been to
http://www.norcalufo.org/main/attachments/231_ufo2_results.pdf
http://www.americanauto-x.com/results/pdf/2014/2014Round01.pdf
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhixYJMQVbYtdDF2TFBXZWZ5WVhveFl1NF9YSFdpN0E&usp=sharing#gid=2

Are you going to come out for the national event in Crow's Landing?
The runway is 2 miles long,  90+ second runs

Thanks,
Dusty

Offline GXP_Matt

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 03:36:42 PM »
The Konis have more damping than the stock shocks so the car changes direction and takes a set faster.  Pretty noticeable in slaloms or fast lane changes when you need the car to move quickly.  The car is also better controlled if there is a bump on course, it takes less time to return to normal after you hit the bump. 

Sounds like there's a lot of good events in the Norcal area, I'd love to come to some if I didn't have to drive all the way across the country ;)
2007 zero option GXP, SCCA A-Street
Full LNF Z0k conversion, Koni Yellows, Solo Race, SSR wheels, BF Goodrich Rivals in 245/40-18

2013 North Carolina Street Tire class champion