Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: New Clutch, and question about NASSM.  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
New Clutch, and question about NASSM.
« on: June 02, 2014, 02:09:58 PM »
Hey guys. Time for a new clutch. I'm installing her just in time for our event out in PA! Okay now, I am just going stock. Should I replace the clutch, flywheel, and pressure plate? Or just the clutch and flywheel?
Also on a different note. Where are we meeting for NASSM, at what time? Thanks! -Johnny
Aggressive '08 Solstice GXP

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: New Clutch, and question about NASSM.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:00:22 PM »
I would say clutch and pressure plate and also slave cylinder but depends on the condition of your flywheel.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
What Kelu said.  The slave cylinder should come with a new release bearing on it if not replace that too.

It used to be during a clutch change you resurfaced the flywheel however our flywheel might cost more to have it machined then just replacing it.  So depending on how bad it is....
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 03:37:16 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have the time to do the job myself between work and racing. But my go to mechanic says he'd have to remove the turbo?! That sounds preposterous. Again I have no clue how the layout of these kappa transmissions are. I always did tremecs... But to have to remove a turbo to get to the clutch?? That doesn't sound right to me. Any input on that? He also said it would be a 10 hour job!!!

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:55 PM »
Sol A. I will most likely buy a new fly wheel. GM parts direct has a slave cyl. And pressure plate for $220. Now I just need a clutch and flywheel. I know I can get the flywheel there too. But I annoy find the clutch.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 05:32:31 PM »
To replace the clutch all transmission needs to get down, from rear diff, to the engine. Exhaust, shaft, gearbox and many others, it is a PITA. That's why 10h job.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 05:43:35 PM »
True but not the turbo.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 07:18:37 PM »
Could you drive it to NASSM?  Call Dave at DDM, see it they have or can get what you need and do it at the meet.

You need to replace or resurface the flywheel, and change out the clutch, pressure plate and Slave Cylinder.  Not sure if the turbo needs to come off or not, but everything else does.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 09:01:29 AM »
Critter. If I purchased all the parts would I be able to bring them out and have them swapped? I could sure as heck make it there. It only slips under HEAVY acceleration or if I'm in 5th doing like 60 and mash the gas. So it's not totally gone but I'd like to replace it before major damage occurs. I have the solo exhaust too... I'm not sure if that would make a difference.
Also. Where are we meeting?? Haha I can't seem to find it.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 11:04:43 AM »
Hey GJ I think there is a "that's what she said" joke to be made here.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 12:11:19 PM »
Critter. If I purchased all the parts would I be able to bring them out and have them swapped? I could sure as heck make it there. It only slips under HEAVY acceleration or if I'm in 5th doing like 60 and mash the gas. So it's not totally gone but I'd like to replace it before major damage occurs. I have the solo exhaust too... I'm not sure if that would make a difference.
here's a link .... http://66.132.1.89/ .... also www.ddmworks.com ... talk to Dave or Ivy if you want an install at NASSM

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
Spoke with Dave and he said he will be unable to help me at NASSM. :/ anybody want to meet up at a private garage and would be willing to help me put this together?  I have a lift and every tool known to man... And 3 know to Dolphin.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 02:20:48 PM »
Coop may be able to help you out if you want to do it during NASSM.  Not sure if he is on this forum though.  He's like Dave and can work on these cars in his sleep!  But yes, you have to drop the transmission to replace the clutch in our cars.  Mine was on the lift from early afternoon until early evening at the 2012 NASSM.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 05:03:35 PM »

Johnny,
Call them see what you can work out with them.  They are fairly flexible. 
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Johnny_gxp

• Quick Shifter
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »
Critter. Dave said it was a hassle to get their lift up there. Also would anybody know if it would be wise to get a stage 2 clutch? And if so, what brand? Thanks!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 09:36:05 PM »
It's a long day for sure and You would want a full lift.
I know people have done these on jack stands and I think that is crazy.

Here is a picture of everything that needs to come off from behind the transmission.

Then you drop the transmission

Swap out the parts, then install everything in reverse order and bleed the system.

Unfortunately I am physically not able to help, but I believe I remember enough that if I am available I could walk you and some other competent people through it.

With your level of HP, I think you should just get a stock clutch.  I personally think the previous owner of your car didn't know how to drive and that's why you need a clutch.  It was shifting bad before you had the tune uploaded.