Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Mallett Cars  (Read 38585 times)

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Mallett Cars
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
Didn't CA use the gas chamber to execute convicts?
Yup.  The prisoner can choose either death by lethal injection or by lethal gas.  There is a moratorium on capital punishment in CA since July of last year so, even though GJ hasn't seen a gas chamber yet, there are still some around he can go see if he so chooses.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 12:52:09 PM »
What about death by snu snu??

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 01:30:25 PM »
Gee all I wanted was some info on Mallett cars or V8 swaps sorry to stir up such a firestorm !

Come on, you guys, Sting was asking a serious question here, and now there is little chance of his getting answers to his questions.

Yeah, I know it's the middle of winter and we all need some amusement, but give the guy a break, OK?
Aggressive #000741

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 02:15:16 PM »
What about death by snu snu??

That probably would require a trip to San Fran.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 03:03:26 PM »
Come on, you guys, Sting was asking a serious question here, and now there is little chance of his getting answers to his questions.

Yeah, I know it's the middle of winter and we all need some amusement, but give the guy a break, OK?

Hey...I haven't forgotten about Mr. Sting Ya!!  I haven't received a reply from Mr. Toyman yet.  If I don't get one today, I'll try to email him and see if he had any issues with his Mallet.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 03:34:51 PM »

It looks like he already got at least part of his answer before all the debating began starting with the 4th reply.

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 05:17:24 PM »
Let me start off by saying that I can't thank the forum members enough  for all the insight you have given me on this purchase and hopefully I'll be able to come to an agreement and have this car in my garage when the weather breaks .Once again I'm in the early stages of this purchase and to be honest with everyone I was not looking for one at this time my current car is apart while I do some winter upgrades  and then this car popped up . One issue that I have been made aware of by the current owner is a problem with a " throttle hang at 2200rpm"his words .It's an intermittent issue that can last for a few seconds to having run over a mile without touching the gas ,pushing in the clutch   does not help, the revs do not go down . From my conversations with the current owner he seems to think it's a quirk with the Mallet car and the tune ie:the ECM any suggestions ?

Ken's ECMs can work in Mallett's cars. Possible that this early car has a bug in the ECM? If Mallet were still around I imagine they could patch whatever is wrong, or help diagnose the issue.
My Mallet does not experience this issue. I would imagine that following a CTS-V or Corvette diagnostic procedure for a similar condition would bear fruit.

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2015, 05:45:52 PM »
As a current CA resident, and long time car fanatic, I can honestly say I have had ZERO issues with anything I ever wanted to do to my cars.

Also- there is no sniff test in CA (for OBD2 vehicles) and my last smog check (last month, 2001 Dakota with a 5.9) took 5 minutes and only cost $23.00.
The air here IS significantly better because of EPA restrictions. The air in this whole country is better as a result. On top of that, we have the most powerful, most efficient and cleanest engine ever developed available at every dealership. These technological marvels are here today because some crazy ass people decided to set standards for air pollution.
Hippies?  Really?  This state is completely :censor: ed up. No question about it. But give credit where credit is due. The little marvel that is the LNF is here because GM needed to meet CAFE standards and sell cars.

Exactly. It took 5 actual days (over several months) to get my Mallett through the state BAR certification process. 2 of those days could have been eliminated had I brought factory service manuals for a Corvette the first time as the 3rd party information they use failed to provide illustrations of the LS2/3 parts, and instead showed that all 'Vettes used LS7/9 exhaust manifolds/cats/O2 placement. Another day could have been eliminated had I not accidentally killed the battery and erased the readiness codes in the ECM, and discovered that getting the EGR to report as 'ready' takes a LOT of driving!

I could have been in and out in two visits excepting the things that I consider 'my' fault. The 2nd visit was only required because I had to negotiate one item that was open to interpretation with a supervisor over the phone.

That's pretty reasonable (either 2 or 5 days) to have someone go through and verify that I haven't built something that's more polluting than allowed.

It looks like he already got at least part of his answer before all the debating began starting with the 4th reply.

Don't put this on me. I am explaining the rules I know (California) and the rules that apply everywhere in the US (EPA).

Just because Florida, for example, will let you get plates for nearly anything at the DMV, it doesn't mean that the EPA/DOT/Customs won't crush some car you imported illegally from overseas once they become aware of its existence. Counting on a particular state's neglect of emissions testing to be a ongoing thing is short-sighted for any car that is going to be expensive to buy or build, as it is going to impact your ability to own, drive and even sell an engine-swapped car. It's only a matter of time before every street-registered car new enough to support it is required to pass a computer plug-in test.

:censor:  the hippies In CA
Just because smog is better now, doesn't mean the laws aren't stupid.  IMHO, they are over compensating to correct something that current car owners were not responsible for and is no longer an issue. 
There is zero technical or environmental reasons why a truck engine should be disallowed in a car. 
100 instances of that engine produce X amounts of pollution.
Does X change whether that engine is installed in an SUV or a Kappa?
The answer is no.

X doesn't change, but the rules about what X is allowed to be change depending on the class of vehicle. If X is allowed to be worse for a truck chassis (it is, I believe incorrectly, because so many of these trucks are really functioning as passenger cars), than it is for a passenger car, you've just taken a passenger car and made it a worse polluter, you've replaced an 'x' with an 'X'.
Smog is still an issue; parts wear out, cars aren't maintained. If they didn't check, the air would still be awful; probably better than before, still, since the starting point of a new car is so much better, but it would still be terrible. It's very easy to ignore repairs that don't impact the driver directly- EGR, EVAP and cats can fail in ways that don't harm the drivability of a car, nor have a dramatic impact on mileage.

If your biannual smog test isn't there to force you to fix it, you'll put it off indefinitely. Current car owners are absolutely responsible, as they're driving the things that pollute. Like Reagan said, "Trust, but verify."

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 05:46:31 PM »
Gee all I wanted was some info on Mallett cars or V8 swaps sorry to stir up such a firestorm !

Don't worry about it  MOST of us just take digs at each other
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 06:11:18 PM »
Truncated due to excessive length to BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH

How does me stating you answered his Mallet question put the blame on you.
My response states the exact opposite.  You answered his questions.  It's later in this thread that the debates started.

I like grouping everyone in CA as hippies.  It's my personal stereo type and I think a lot of stuff they have laws for are stupid.  It's why I live on the other coast.
I don't care if my facts or logic are correct in regards to CA, its my opinion that counts to me.  :D

Fun Emission Facts for PA.  If you drive less than 5000 miles a year, you are emissions exempt. 
A lot of sports cars and recreational vehicles fall into this range as they are play vehicles only driven in perfect weather.
Another thing is a vehicle can have 1 failed readiness code and still pass emissions.
This means you can disable P0420 in your tune, run whatever you want for a downpipe and still get your windshield sticker.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 06:54:42 PM »
Elff-
I'll start growing a ponytail so I fit in :)
Make the right choices now

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2015, 07:12:14 PM »
How does me stating you answered his Mallet question put the blame on you.
My response states the exact opposite.  You answered his questions.  It's later in this thread that the debates started.

I thought you were saying the problems started in post 4, my mistake, I misinterpreted.

Fun Emission Facts for PA.  If you drive less than 5000 miles a year, you are emissions exempt. 
A lot of sports cars and recreational vehicles fall into this range as they are play vehicles only driven in perfect weather.
Another thing is a vehicle can have 1 failed readiness code and still pass emissions.
This means you can disable P0420 in your tune, run whatever you want for a downpipe and still get your windshield sticker.

1 failed readiness monitor is acceptable in CA as well, assuming there are no trouble codes set. (Engine swaps require all monitors be set for the initial certification, but then return to the regular rules for subsequent inspections.)

I'm surprised there's no visual test in PA. California has a visual check in conjunction with the ECM scan, which would reveal missing cats.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »
That's covered under the State Inspection which is a separate test.
FYI we have to do State inspection and emissions every year.

Fortunately it's cheap or I would have an issue as this is the list of vehicles I have
Ford F-150
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Saturn Sky Redline
Hyundai Genesis Coupe R-Spec [Wifes Car]
Kawasaki Ninja 300
Yamaha FZ-07

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2015, 08:09:56 PM »
hey wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What happened to the Mini?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »
elff : Some interesting information as far as the emissions testing I have purchased a few vehicles from PA and one thing that always impressed me was their yearly inspection in order to get plates renewed especially when you see some of the junk that runs around Ohio .The Mallett is in Corry  PA ,it's near Erie and when I asked the owner about emissions testing he said it was not a requirement in the area he lives .I'm really not worried about it passing in Ohio because I know that Mallett used a lot of GM parts in his conversion once again just wanted a heads up in case he had any issues. In fact my NA with the Hann kit was cleaner then before I put it on as I keep all my records and compared a before and after .

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2015, 08:35:48 PM »
Sting, with respect to that throttle hangup at ~2000 RPM, I remember reading about something similar that seems to affect the Ken Kelly LS2Edit tune that everyone seems to use.

Contact sbindley, RobertAshby, and Rob the Elder on the big board, as I know at least one of them had a similar issue. (I haven't been able to locate a thread with the info, though.)  Maybe contact Dave Michel at DDMWorks regarding the issue.

I wish I had more info for you but I don't.
Aggressive #000741

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 08:48:45 PM »
hey wait a minute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  What happened to the Mini?

Mo just wanted something new.
I am happy to have her in a RWD 2.0 turbo car.  Its a really nice car.  The R Spec has some really nice suspension and brake upgrades

StingYa
While we can get around some emissions, the state inspection on average does ensure that most cars in PA are in good shape.
I personally think our state has a real nice blend of allowing us to modify our vehicles while staying safe

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2015, 09:37:51 PM »
elff : Some interesting information as far as the emissions testing I have purchased a few vehicles from PA and one thing that always impressed me was their yearly inspection in order to get plates renewed especially when you see some of the junk that runs around Ohio .The Mallett is in Corry  PA ,it's near Erie and when I asked the owner about emissions testing he said it was not a requirement in the area he lives .I'm really not worried about it passing in Ohio because I know that Mallett used a lot of GM parts in his conversion once again just wanted a heads up in case he had any issues. In fact my NA with the Hann kit was cleaner then before I put it on as I keep all my records and compared a before and after .

http://www.epa.ohio.gov/dapc/echeck/other_programs/modifveh.aspx#168339649-establishment-of-engine-switching-procedures

Looks like you will need to prove the engine is newer than the chassis, you're not missing any Corvette emissions equipment, and otherwise be able to pass the test as whatever MY Solstice/Sky it is based on. Get/bring a scan tool that can verify that the car's readiness codes are set.

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 11:55:31 AM »
Sting Ya...you still have to test down in Columbia Station?  I was thinking you were out of it there, but I guess not.

As far as I know, No codes = No problem in Ohio.  I had no trouble with my tune and expect to have no trouble with the HFC.  Wartie has no issues with his set up passing and I expect the same.

There is no sniffer test and no vehicle inspection in Ohio.  They used to sniff in Illinois when I lived in the burbs, but I don't think they do that anymore either.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2015, 12:07:59 PM »
The burbs yes the rest of the state no, it's only the Nazi er uh take a guess which party stronghold of Chicago land.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2015, 12:24:09 PM »
The burbs yes the rest of the state no, it's only the Nazi er uh take a guess which party stronghold of Chicago land.

I know they still do emmissions testing, but I don't think they do the sniff test in the burbs anymore.  I heard it's no big deal now. They used to take your car and drive it through a big long station and rev the crap out of it for a few minutes.  This was 12 years ago though.

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2015, 01:30:12 PM »
Even though I'm in the heart of God's Country ,fresh air ,star filled skys,room for my 4 Boerboels to run it's still Lorain County and that's where the emissions testing comes in .My car with the Hann kit runs actually cleaner then my mildly modified 2.4 before the kit I keep all my paperwork so I was able to compare it , I'm working on Collector car plates so I won't have to deal with this stuff anymore .Latest update on the throttle hang up I sent GM Tech an email  and before I get beaten into the ground over this I have never had an issue with John and I appreciate his knowledge . Went over a couple of things and he said the tune could very well be the problem .That said I spoke to Extreme Performance who have a ton of knowledge with LS Vette  motors and they said there are a couple of possibilities and the tune is one of them .The real issue is whether there is a lock on the tune so I could be looking at anywhere from $500 to $850 to correct this .At this point, not counting the cost of the car and the fact that is that we have not come to an agreement on this yet, correcting the "hang problem "replacing the tires ,having the wheels powder coated and a couple of other things that I want to do to make it my car things are starting to add up .I have a figure in my mind and if I can get it for that I'll still buy it but the reality is I know what the market is on these cars and at this point I don't know where the seller is or if he is even in the ballpark .  Stay tuned .   

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 01:40:16 PM »
Even though I'm in the heart of God's Country ,fresh air ,star filled skys,room for my 4 Boerboels to run it's still Lorain County and that's where the emissions testing comes in .My car with the Hann kit runs actually cleaner then my mildly modified 2.4 before the kit I keep all my paperwork so I was able to compare it , I'm working on Collector car plates so I won't have to deal with this stuff anymore .Latest update on the throttle hang up I sent GM Tech an email  and before I get beaten into the ground over this I have never had an issue with John and I appreciate his knowledge . Went over a couple of things and he said the tune could very well be the problem .That said I spoke to Extreme Performance who have a ton of knowledge with LS Vette  motors and they said there are a couple of possibilities and the tune is one of them .The real issue is whether there is a lock on the tune so I could be looking at anywhere from $500 to $850 to correct this .At this point, not counting the cost of the car and the fact that is that we have not come to an agreement on this yet, correcting the "hang problem "replacing the tires ,having the wheels powder coated and a couple of other things that I want to do to make it my car things are starting to add up .I have a figure in my mind and if I can get it for that I'll still buy it but the reality is I know what the market is on these cars and at this point I don't know where the seller is or if he is even in the ballpark .  Stay tuned .   

Locked or not, get a spare ECM. You don't want to potentially 'ruin' one that will run the car if your tuner of choice has trouble getting things set up.

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 01:54:49 PM »
I have one that I got when I did my Hann kit just need to have it programed to the cars vin and run the crank relearn program is there someone you could recommend or would it be better to have a local shop do it because they would have the car there .The tech that I talked to said it would probably take a few days to sort things out and also brought up the possibility of a throttle body issue which is the first thing they would check and it would only cost me a couple hundred bucks .

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »
I was going to say...I also have a spare ECM you could have for a 2006 (assuming the Mallet is an 06) if you needed it.  Sounds like you are good though.