Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: DC front strut bar  (Read 18221 times)

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
DC front strut bar
« on: July 23, 2015, 01:40:16 AM »
Hey Guys,

I stumbled upon this thing right here:

DC Front Strut Bar

Can anyone tell me something about it?! Where does it mount? Is it similar to the venom brace?

Yours,
Napi.

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
Re: DC front strut bar
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:55:50 AM »
Its basically the same as the performance auto werks bar. ( http://www.performanceautowerks.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=334_165_216&products_id=1697 ) Mounts further forward of the rails under the hood. I think on the hood mounting bolts? Ive never actaully seen on installed. Everyone goes for the venom brace thats now available through ddmworks. Its easier to install and serves the same purpose. Also dont think they make the dc bar anymore.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:10:38 PM »
The bars are still available but I believe they are leftovers I have the DDM Works Venom Brace on my car nice upgrade and had it installed in less then a half hour .

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:13:30 PM »
Sadly,
the venom brace seems to be not available for some time now...

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 09:37:55 PM »

Sadly,
the venom brace seems to be not available for some time now...

Napi-
DDM sells the Venom brace. They worked with LV to produce and distribute as they were better set up for the quantities people are buying.

Tell them GJ sent you and they will probably charge you double :) so best just to check out the website:

http://www.ddmworks.com/SolsticeSky-LVFCB-Venom-Brace-by-DDMWorks_p_77.html
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 10:28:28 PM »
Perhaps GJ could check out their website and see for himself what the stock status is.  Then maybe he could call Dave and see when some might happen to be in stock.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 02:32:41 AM »
Realizing the DC Thing seems to have no Advantages when compared to the venom brace, I just ordered a venom brace from DDM.
Though they state to have None in stock, I just ordered and will wait for any Information from Dave or his Team...

:cool:

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 09:07:12 AM »
Waiting on the black venoms to get in stock myself. Going to order a brace package so I have it.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 09:08:19 AM »
I ordered a red one, I use the Wiechers rear bar, which is also red... They have to match of course! :lol:

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 10:57:15 AM »
Well. This is some Kind of weird...
I just received a shipping Information... Probably there at least one red brace in stock. :yay:

Offline username

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 02:58:36 PM »
So you're tying together the frame rails right at the front, where the bumper support beam already ties them together?

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 03:17:50 PM »
Partially, you are right.
But the braces are mounted close to the suspension mounts to prevent flexing.

This thread is quite informative

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
Since I was the designer and did a bit of CAD simulation, I can tell you the way the bumper is tied to the frame and location does not prevent the chassis from flexing.
This is no difference from the rear and it's purpose.
I know both Dave from DDM and Dave from Werks did also some CAD simulation and testing on their original designs.
The Venom Brace is situated at about an inch from the front suspension and together with the other braces closes the chassis completely.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 09:27:11 AM »
Yeah, bumper attach points arent really doing anything but for crash protection. Its made out a thin sheet metal and its intended purpose is to crumple when impacted. Not exactly something structurally designed. You can easily tell the venom brace doing its job by looking at your hood over bumps with a before and after. The two frame rails twist at the mount points for the hood causing it to shake/shimmy. Once the venom brace was installed, that was eliminated.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline pcdestroyer

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 02:17:28 PM »
Hello Forum, long time lurker, first time poster. I actually just bought http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OGFSRK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 on Amazon. I installed it this weekend. Good build quality, decent instructions. I removed the drivers side charge tube for added clearance during installation. I'm happy with the results. YMMV. This unit mounts between the frame rails behind radiator and in front of engine. The bolt holes and 5 of the bolts already come with the car. It was a perfect fit. It takes a bit of finesse to manipulate the drivers side A/C piping during the install, but no problems.

2007 GXP 5 Speed WA8555
Trifecta Tune
DDM Short Throw

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »
Pic? I have never seen a picture of this bar installed on a car.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline pcdestroyer

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 03:22:19 PM »
 :agree: I'll try to get a few posted tonight.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 05:53:28 PM »
Actually that is a copy of the original Werks front bar. Make sure you look closely where this bar flows from one side to the other.
Make sure there is no rubbing with some of the parts that reside in that space.

Solstice GXP 2007.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline pcdestroyer

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 08:48:28 PM »
LV is correct, it is a tight fit. here are a few pics.https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=47F979464CC4ECAD!33760&authkey=!ADSJZwW5AVrtEXU&ithint=folder%2c
 Hopefully link is good.
Speed Safely!

Offline ophidia31

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 08:50:52 PM »
For some reason i thought it mounted further forwards.
2013 Grigio Abarth 500

Offline pcdestroyer

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 09:00:15 PM »
Having just mounted this, there is no other place really to mount this. Actually the bar in this configuration couldn't even be a larger diameter without a design alteration. GM conveniently installed some nice threaded holes for some reason, seems like a great place for a chassis stiffener. As many others have indicated on many other threads, it has made a noticeable difference in the stability and turn-in. I've not yet installed other chassis stiffener products but intend to. I thought the price was right @ only $81 with Amazon prime.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2015, 03:27:55 PM »
My design has I believe, a larger diameter and it is not bend as this one and the Werks.
Mine which is now sold by DDM is a straight pipe.
Is a good price, but you should really look and see that the clearence is OK with all the other components on the car.
One of the biggest issue with the Werks was the AC lines on the driver side. I am assuming since DC pretty much copy the WEKS design, it also has the same issues.
Solstice GXP 2007.

Offline pcdestroyer

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2015, 04:27:26 PM »
The A/C lines do in fact require slight re-alignment for the initial fitment. After the bolts are installed the A/C lines can be put back in place. One other area of clearance concern is at the back of the radiator fan motor, and near the motor plug. In my case I have roughly 4-5 millimeters clearance, not much but enough. This is why I mentioned in previous post that the diameter with this current design couldn't really be any bigger. I had strongly considered buying the LV brace, looks like a great product and gets great reviews! My decision to purchase the other was based on price.

Offline cdnite

• Master Tech
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2015, 10:24:26 PM »
.... I am assuming since DC pretty much copy the WEKS design, it also has the same issues.

....Or vice versa.....

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2015, 07:48:30 AM »
I looked at both bars and ended up with the Venom Brace in the end I felt it was a better engineered product and it took me all of a half hour to install it . For me paying a little more for something is well worth not having to deal with trying to make something fit I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a brace .