Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Improving Ride Comfort  (Read 5356 times)

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
Improving Ride Comfort
« on: March 26, 2016, 09:49:29 AM »
Yes, I know, it's a roadster.

The potholes in my area are getting worse, and my back is not getting younger. Pothole performance has always been a weak point on the Kappa (compared to vehicles today). People in the passenger seat always remind me of this... verbally.

I'm contemplating what I can do about it. My Red Line is stock, save for a DDMWorks backbone brace.

I'm contemplating swapping in Sky FE2 springs (10376421 on the front and 15280026 on the rear). GM for some reason spent an inordinate amount of time adding ride comfort to the base Sky (which I thought at first was for the Opel GT, but it uses the same FE3 springs as GXP/RL).

My only problem is getting the Sky front springs. GM doesn't have them anymore. I'd have to pick-and-pull from a Sky or buy FE2 front shocks and strip the springs.

Thoughts? Will the springs work with the FE3 shocks well? Alternatives?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 10:14:39 AM by ChrisPrice »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: Improving Ride Comfort
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 03:29:54 PM »
You want a softer spring, correct?
Make the right choices now

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 04:15:35 PM »
I want my passengers to think I'm not trying to kill them when I hit a pothole at 30 MPH. The FE2 Solstice I've driven quite a bit definitely handles that better.

I'm pretty sure I want the (softer) FE2 springs with the stock FE3 shocks, effectively making my own FE5 package - like the Cadillacs have.

I'm just not sure that will go far enough, or what else I could do that would make it softer - without massive losses in handling.

Online Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 04:47:34 PM »
That's really the issue in that how much handling do you want to give up? Drive around the potholes?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 06:36:34 PM »
Frankly, I'm willing to trade a significant amount. This isn't my track car. It's a daily driver for highway use. My area of California has potholes occupying entire lanes... avoiding is a relative term.

Suspension aside, Kappa is perfect for me. It gives me the off-the-line 0-to-60 performance I want at the right price (out here, a G8 GT costs twice as much, and I don't need the trunk or backseat). I probably would have opted for FE2 if it was an option with GXP/RL.

That said, FE3 is what it has, and I'm not looking to gut it. I do love it at times. I'm just looking for a simple/substantial comfort boost, and I'm hoping the springs will pull that off.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 06:41:23 PM by ChrisPrice »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 01:01:16 AM »
I'd guess there are some NA folks nearby who would be willing to do a straight swap with you. Many NA folks pull their set up for adjustable set ups or turbo set ups. I'd guess there are some cheap sets laying around in someone's garage. If you can get a complete set, the swap is easy and you can test it out.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 12:29:47 PM »
Try Contacting Crate Engine Depot and ask for Tom.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com
He seems to be able to find parts that other dealers can't.   

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »
If you want to take some of what you say, then also take the DDM backbone out, what that will do is give the car back the chassis flex the DDM Backbone has taken away.
Try that 1st and then go for the FE2 shucks/springs. The other thing I would suggest is padding the seats as much as you can.
Good luck.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2016, 06:38:39 PM »
Pulling the backbone brace is a good idea, I hadn't thought of that because at first I didn't think it would do much. But, the more I look at it... it's worth a shot. It came with the car, by the way.

I'm only hesitant because the thing squeaked like crazy until I got under there to fix it. Which according to DDM, is really rare.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:47:25 PM by ChrisPrice »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 08:17:51 PM »
If it came with it, then you will have to find a stock replacement for it.  Try DDM for both the stock backbone and the NA suspension.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 08:18:01 PM »
Tires can also improve ride comfort.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline ChrisPrice

• Tech
    • ChristopherPrice.net
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 08:54:27 PM »
Good tip on the tires, but I have Falken Ziex's (also not my call, also came with the car), so I doubt those are causing a rough ride.

I plan to replace them with Eagle Sport's when they wear out this year, I've had excellent ride comfort with F1 and GT's in the past, and the Eagle Sport replaces the GT and is one step below the F1.

I had thought about buying some of the last GS3's custom built for the Kappa, but everyone I've talked to says Eagle Sport is vastly vastly improved from last decade's F1 GS2/GS3.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 02:14:30 AM »
What air pressures are you running?

Stock tire size?

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 01:47:57 PM »
Best bet for the springs is the old standby Ebay I've seen them listed from time to time

Offline critter

• Master Tech
  • Married, 4 grandkids
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 03:21:07 PM »
Best bet for the springs is the old standby Ebay I've seen them listed from time to time
Get in touch with Dave Gilbert at Performance Autowerks. He just took a set off my 2009 Redline. I put BCs on.
I always wanted to be somebody when I grew up - I realize now that I should have been more specific!!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 03:29:09 PM »
Critter
That's a nice offer, but the springs you just took off, are the same ones ChrisPrice is trying to replace.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2016, 03:33:39 PM »
There has got to be a bunch of the NA takeoffs laying around assuming people haven't junked them.  Call DDM, Werks, put up a wanted ad in the classified sections on the forums.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Online Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2016, 03:52:50 PM »
Yeah I agree, there just has to be a bunch laying around SOMEWHERE!
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2016, 04:07:56 PM »
We have a bunch of stock stuff here and probably have a couple sets, feel free to give a call.

Also, you may want to look more at the shocks, not the springs. The shocks really will have a lot of effect on how the car rides also, higher compression dampening will make even soft springs feel harsh. You could look at running FE2 shocks with FE3 springs and some really nice bumpstops to give you a more comfortable forgiving ride with some nice progressive loading at the end of the stroke while maintaining your stock ride height.

Just as a quick story, we can run 4 times higher spring rates on one car we do and actually have a better ride than stock that is not harsh at all with some really high end shocks.

Hope that helps,
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline Robotech

• Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
I do happen to have my stock FE2 shocks and springs setting in my garage...but I'd go through Dave first as I'm in no rush to sell them and he could probably use a bit more free space in his shop. LOL