Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Thanks for the add - 2008 Solstice GXP in California  (Read 2102 times)

Offline greatgab

• Apprentice/Gofer
Thanks for the add - 2008 Solstice GXP in California
« on: December 19, 2018, 02:04:39 PM »
I bought my 2008 Solstice GXP two months ago for 10k with 11k miles. It had spent too much time in a barn in Michigan and needed tires (bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S), a battery and some repairs to fix rodent damage (which cleared the CEL problem and made the car smogable). After jumping through hoops with the California DMV (they don't like out-of-state cars), I have added - DDM brace bundle - DDM CAI and charge tubes - Werks IC - Solo hi-flow cat and Mach Shorty exhaust - DDM short shifter - LED blubs inside and out. I am waiting on a Trifecta base/custom switchable tune that will be controlled by the traction button (custom tune in competition mode). I look forward to reading and referencing the posts on this forum.

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
Re: Thanks for the add - 2008 Solstice GXP in California
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 02:54:09 PM »
Welcome to the forum, it sounds as if you have caught the Solstice/Sky fever.  Enjoy the forum.

There isn't a lot of traffic here, but everyone here knows their stuff pretty well.

Thanks for joining.

:thumbs:

Aggressive #000741

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 06:56:13 PM »
Welcome, it sounds like you are well on your way to make that car your own.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline sirwm

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 07:27:25 PM »
a lot of people have had trouble with out-of-state cars in California.  :banghead:
can you share what you had to go through to get the car registered there ?

:pop:
wr

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 07:34:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum and I'm sure you will enjoy the car. Hoops? What kind of hoops?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline greatgab

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:18:41 PM »
It took some time to repair the damage caused by rodents, during the car's many long winters spent in a barn in Michigan, so that the car could pass an out-of-state smog check. The day after my Solstice was sold back in 2008, it was involved in a 'minor' front-end accident according to Carfax. That accident required the replacement of the door and painting of the door jamb (not so minor - beware of 'clean' a Carfax). The all important Federal Certification Label was not reapplied and I assume that it was lost. California DMV balked at doing the out-of-state inspection because of that - I then had to take the car to the California Highway Patrol to do a VIN check inspection, which it passed. On the return trip to the DMV, there was another hold-up involving the title from back east - it was not filled out correctly. Yet another month passed, I took the new title back to the DMV only to be fined for not registering the car within 20 days. I gladly paid it in exchange for the registration process to finally end! With the smog check and visual inspection behind me and with all the Holiday sales - the Modding was started in earnest! The hardware has been installed... just waiting on my Trifecta tune to turn loose this little red devil!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »
Someone's got the mod bug   :tool: 

I think you're going to like it a lot, let us know how it goes!

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 12:09:29 PM »
Wasn't the Kappa platform road legal in all 50 states?  There wasn't a California version like they used to do back in the 70-80s.  The door placards get replaced all the time by body shops you can actually go back to a GM dealer and order one.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline greatgab

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 03:21:17 PM »
Someone's got the mod bug   :tool: 

I think you're going to like it a lot, let us know how it goes!

Trifecta tune just went in... now waiting for the rain to let up here in Sacramento to go for a test drive. I definitely will be watching the boost gauge on the DIC!

Offline greatgab

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »
Wasn't the Kappa platform road legal in all 50 states?  There wasn't a California version like they used to do back in the 70-80s.  The door placards get replaced all the time by body shops you can actually go back to a GM dealer and order one.

All Kappas were Federal compliant (RPO code FE9)... but there was a California version (YF5) and a Northeast version (NE1). As for the label... I would need a picture of the original or a damaged label to order a new one - part of some chop shop deterrent program. 

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
If everything is working right, you are not going to have time to look  :)  until after 3rd gear
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia