Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: No Boost after 5 Miles of driving  (Read 4666 times)

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
No Boost after 5 Miles of driving
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »
Hey everyone, it has been way too long since I have last been on the forum.  I have been having an issue with the boost pressure completely dying after roughly 5 miles of driving.  The car looses power and runs like a terd.  LOL.  Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Joe Jr

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
Re: No Boost after 5 Miles of driving
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 10:56:09 AM »
Hey everyone, it has been way too long since I have last been on the forum.  I have been having an issue with the boost pressure completely dying after roughly 5 miles of driving.  The car looses power and runs like a terd.  LOL.  Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Joe Jr

We see how it is, you just come back when you need something  :D

1) Check engine codes?
2) Visual inspect all hoses and electrical connectors on the turbo

How many miles on it?  Have you walnut blasted the intake valves yet?
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Sky Pilot

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 01:14:02 PM »
And hose clamps. The only other thing would be a breach on your IC. Early model IC's had some weak area and split easy.

Offline JoshMcMadMac

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 10:01:31 AM »
If it happens to be the intercooler, I have a stock replacement you can have.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 12:07:28 PM »
His dad (DBG) probably has a few stock intercoolers in the shed still.

Joe, you have normal boost for the first few minutes but once it warms up the boost is gone?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 07:07:03 PM »
That is correct.  During the initial start and drive I have boost but then it zeros out and i have no power.  I will take a look at the stock intercooler and see if there is any bulging.

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 07:12:26 PM »
Intercooler looks good.  I have the t-bolt clamps on the intercooler pips and they are all tight and secure.  I am going to take the boost quage out of the loop.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 10:00:47 PM »
Do you have an aftermarket blow off valve?

Have you checked to see if you can hear a leak under the hood when you loose boost?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Wartie

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 11:20:26 AM »
Could there be internal wear in the turbo that would cause it to bind up after it is warmed up? Maybe shut the engine down after you loose boost and check too see if the blower wheel
spins freely.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
Was just curious and found P0299 is for under boost, people are losing boost and getting this code.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/f%2Ack-me-p0299-underboost-297676/
Condition
Some customers may comment that the SES light is on. Upon inspection, you may find DTC P0299 (Turbocharger Engine Underboost) or P0234 (Turbocharger Engine Overboost) set.

Cause
This condition may be caused by a mis-adjusted wastegate.

Correction
Note: The wastegate adjustment is sometimes a very fine process. When adjusting the wastegate, only small adjustments should be made. Loosen one nut at a time and only adjust the nut one turn at a time; then tighten the other nut against the shaft and test drive to verify. This may have to be performed several times to achieve the desired boost level. To ensure proper adjustment, the vehicle should be at full operating temperature when testing. The vehicle will be very hot and may need to cool between adjustments. Too large of an adjustment can cause repeat DTCs.

Adjust the turbocharger wastegate. Refer to Turbocharger Wastegate Actuator Adjustment in SI.

Troubleshooting Tips for DTC P0299 - Turbocharger Engine Underboost
To increase boost, adjust the nuts (in) towards the actuator; in essence making the shaft shorter.

Troubleshooting Tips for DTC P0234 - Turbocharger Engine Overboost
To reduce boost, adjust the nuts (out) towards the end of the shaft; in essence making the shaft longer.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/cel-p0299-turbocharger-underboost-25240/

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 04:49:54 PM »
So I got the classic maf sensor p0101 code.  Checked all the lines and don't see where their could be a leaking issue.  Any thoughts?

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2019, 04:50:45 PM »
I also took the intake off and turbo is spinning freely

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 05:02:27 PM »
Have you clean it?
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 10:07:55 AM »
Cleaning does make a difference on some occasions.
Just make sure you get the actual MAF cleaner. 

And since you have connections, you could temporarily swap MAF sensors with someone you know, if they let you.
:lol:

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 01:56:27 PM »
thanks elff. lol We are going to do a smoke check to, to make sure the lines don't have a leak.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 07:56:59 AM »
Having boost on cold it could mean the car runs on "warm up" tables from the calibration and then when it switches to "standard" tables.

If is related to MAF, try to disconnect it and do another test see if the boost holds even after 5 minutes with MAF disconnected.

PS: -1 smite, just because you were away  :lol:
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 11:05:37 PM »
Thanks Kelu! I smite try that because of your idea.  :violin: :yay: :lol: :rofl:

I did use Deep Blue's Maf sensor and got the same results, but with that idea in mind i will do it regardless.  I did a smoke check and definitely have a sealed system all through the inter cooler and more.

PS:  These new Dad Jokes I have been coming up with might make someone :barf2:, but I am always laughing at myself.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 09:19:01 AM »
So I got the classic maf sensor p0101 code.  Checked all the lines and don't see where their could be a leaking issue.  Any thoughts?

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lnf-performance-tech-153/p0101-codes-129168/

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 08:23:24 PM »
Having boost on cold it could mean the car runs on "warm up" tables from the calibration and then when it switches to "standard" tables.

If is related to MAF, try to disconnect it and do another test see if the boost holds even after 5 minutes with MAF disconnected.

PS: -1 smite, just because you were away  :lol:

By disconnecting the Maf sensor will this cause any conflicts?

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »
Not big issues as far as I know, it makes to run without taking the MAF into consideration, it would run richer.

After I build my engine I ran with MAF disconnected for some days in order to check if the air filter was the cause of my issues or not.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 02:07:40 PM »
Now that it's really cold out can you drive for 6 miles before the boost drops off?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 06:02:05 PM »
As much salt as they dumped on the roads down here the other day, IDK if he'd want to drive the car to find out.

Will the same error occur of the car comes up to temp idling vs. being driven? Might help isolate if the issue is pressure related, or heat related.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2019, 02:53:11 PM »
We are getting a dusting out here and no treated roads.  Decided to not do the test yet.

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2019, 03:38:01 PM »
I took the car out for a drive, disconnected the MAF sensor from the electrical system.  No problems with Boost, and car ran pretty good.  Now I am going to go through the electrical wiring and try to figure out why the system is not liking when the MAF sensor is connected.  I believe we may be able to narrow it down to an issue with grounding possible.

I will keep everyone posted on what I find.

The only two code that came up were the following:

P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow (MAF) Circuit Malfunction
P0113 Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High Bank 1

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2019, 05:24:24 PM »
You would need to ignore those codes since you have the MAF disconnected.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.