Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 2.4 Muffler Delete  (Read 2027 times)

Offline CarolinaSolstice

• Tech
2.4 Muffler Delete
« on: December 07, 2019, 03:59:18 PM »
Anyone ever cut off the muffler and run straight pipe with just the resonator?
Did u like the sound?
Look up and read Charles Swindol "Attitude"

PONTIAC FOREVER!!!!!!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
Re: 2.4 Muffler Delete
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 10:42:12 AM »
My personal opinion is the problem with open exhaust on a stock car is you can't get through the gears fast enough because you don't have enough power, so your car ends up being a really loud slow car.  You'd get street cred until the moment you with WOT, at which point you go full ricer. 

I know how it is when you want to upgrade your car or modify it but don't have all the knowledge and money to do it, so I agree a muffler delete is a very cheap easy mod and if this gets you involved with your car and modifying it I encourage you to do it (literally doing the mods with your own hands). I'm not too familiar with the stock exhaust, I am thinking if there is a slip joint you can try to remove the muffler temporarily just to get a better idea if that is something you want to do, this way you can go back to stock in-case you don't like it.

Ecotec cars with racecar exhausts without racecar engines:

Unknown Ecotec exhaust, but likely NA:

Launches WOT at 3:23:

Ecotec car with racecar exhaust and racecar engine:

Turbocharger dump pipe:

Turbocharger, catlytic converter, muffler...revs pretty quick since it has an aluminum flywheel:

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline CarolinaSolstice

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2019, 03:42:25 PM »
After some more thought I'm afraid I'll lose some low end torque if I remove the muffler and with this little N/A 4 banger I don't want that.

PONTIAC FOREVER!!!!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2019, 09:55:25 AM »
After some more thought I'm afraid I'll lose some low end torque if I remove the muffler and with this little N/A 4 banger I don't want that.

Free flowing is free flowing...I'd worry more about that on the intake side, and just get a nice glasspack setup for the exhaust if you want loud. (Which, kinda ironically, would flow better than a straight pipe setup...)
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline CarolinaSolstice

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2019, 11:01:44 AM »
Free flowing is free flowing...I'd worry more about that on the intake side, and just get a nice glasspack setup for the exhaust if you want loud. (Which, kinda ironically, would flow better than a straight pipe setup...)

I had a guy a few years ago that owned a muffler shop tell me that freeing up the exhaust on a 4 banger will make it slower off the line because you don't have the back pressure anymore....that's why I said that.
So you're saying if I add a CAI I can make it slower off the line?? Hope not, I have one on order!

Any suggestions on what glass pack set up to get?

PONTIAC FOREVER!!!!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2019, 02:30:13 PM »
https://forums.mightycarmods.com/forum/technical/tech-talk/3416-backpressure-the-myth-and-why-it-s-wrong

There's plenty of other sources out there debunking this common myth, but here's a good explanation.

I was more referring to intake manifolds, some do rob you of torque. CAI isn't likely to add much, if any, power, but it's not likely to steal any either.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline marksbug

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 11:24:03 PM »
 just put a good muflfer on it that you like the sound of. or if you do want more power and a little louder is waht your after than put a turbo inplace of the muffler and run tubing up front....or just put the right turbo kit on. I doubt you will get much more if any out of the oe muf being cut off. The car needs a real header .( I have  a "name brand" solstice header...it's pure shit and expensive) then a better muffler may help.  if you deleate the muffler it will sound like hammered dog shit splattering on the walls.it is not a race engine.