Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: NOT A GOOD MORNING. Something is wrong with the Demon  (Read 14767 times)

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
NOT A GOOD MORNING. Something is wrong with the Demon
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:11:14 AM »
First off I took her out and drove her to Chicago and back last monday with no issues at all (9 hours round trip).  The wife needs the truck today so I go down last night to give her a little run time and she doesn't turn over.  Put a charger on her all night.  Went to start her this morning.  All the lights, chimes, radio, gage displays come on but she won't turn over.  Volt meter reads 12.75 at the battery.  I manage to get her pushed out of the garage and get cables hooked up from the truck.  Let it sit for a few and try again.  Same thing but now I notice that the light on the auto shifter is not on and when I try to start it and nothing happends, as I let go of the key te tach and speed needles peg out and then settle back down to zero.  Disconneted the battery, checked all fuses, let it sit for 15 minutes, hooked it all back up and sure enough the same thing.  Now I need to try and get her up on a trailer and to the dealership.  I'm SOOO Ticked right now.

Any Ideas on what might be wrong?
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: NOT A GOOD MORNING. Something is wrong with the Demon
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 10:19:03 AM »
Did you hear the starter kick over? 

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:24:56 AM »
Did you hear the starter kick over? 

No. nothing. 
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 10:29:24 AM »
Sounds like your starter is out!!!

Just curious, did you connect the charger directly to the battery or the two posts on the fuse box.

Offline Jackknife

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 11:13:46 AM »
Sounds like an auto transmission lock-out.  Make sure you're fully in Park.
Deep, Ebony, Loaded...VIN 2124

DDM Supercharger #6 Stage II Intercooled
Magnaflow Dual Cat-back ... Valentine 1
FE3 sway bar ... Car. Cust. Rests and Pockets
Norm's Dual Rear Fascia ... Visor Decals
Walnut Burl Dash ... Dual Horns
Recessed Grills ... Debadged
Boost & A/F gauges ... KappaShield
DDM Pro-Beam and back brace
Solo Hi-Flo Cat

Listen to 'er why-ee-eye-ine..

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009, 11:27:37 AM »
That can happen, try it in neutral also.

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009, 12:33:31 PM »
Sounds like your starter is out!!!

Just curious, did you connect the charger directly to the battery or the two posts on the fuse box.

Connected the possitive to the positive post by the engine bay fuse box and the negative to the grounding/jump start tab on the motor, same as the jump start procedure.

The auto lockout is possible but something is killing the power to the entire shifter assembly cause the possition indicator lights are not on either.  Those fuses are good also.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 02:09:24 PM »
You might want to take the shifter apart and make sure all of the connections are together underneath.  Honestly, though, if you're starter isn't turning over, then you probably have a bad starter or something wrong with the electrical.  I would take it to the dealer and let them play with it...if you do, then they can blame you and you'll be stuck paying.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 02:42:47 PM »
Did you try the second key?.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 02:51:41 PM »
Did you have the padlock icon on the center dummy pannel?

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 08:10:05 PM »
Did you have the padlock icon on the center dummy pannel?

No.  Just the seat belt, traction control, ABS, and check engine lights stay on.

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:06 PM »
You might want to take the shifter apart and make sure all of the connections are together underneath. 

Checked that cause of the NAV and system install.  All is good there.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 08:20:22 PM »
Is your car at the dealer and what's the diagnosis?

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:31:28 PM »
all car have a nuteral safty switch on the Trans and if the wire came off or making bad connection  won't start. Also fuseable link on the starter may have popped or wire loose.Mine is a 5 speed and if the clutch is not in the needles will pin all the way over and back.     :gaah:   hope they get it worked out
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 08:34:39 PM by fasttoy »
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 09:00:25 PM »
Is your car at the dealer and what's the diagnosis?

Nope, still sitting in front of my garage with the hood up trying suggestions.

all car have a nuteral safty switch on the Trans and if the wire came off or making bad connection  won't start. Also fuseable link on the starter may have popped or wire loose.Mine is a 5 speed and if the clutch is not in the needles will pin all the way over and back.     :gaah:   hope they get it worked out

I guess I'll have to jack it up and check that also.  It has to be related to the shifter and the lockout somehow because the P R N D L I back lights light up but not the orange indicator to what gear it is in.  Everything else seems to be working fine.  The needle pinning and returning is the same.

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 11:53:13 PM »
Deepblue do you have a wiring diagram in the manuals you have.. if so you may want to check what is the permissive for that little orange light to come on..
Bacon

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »
I give.  Tried eveything I could think of or was mentioned here til about 1030 last night and no good.  Pushed her back into the garage where she'll sit until I get back from my San Diego trip next weekend.  then I'll take her to the doctors  :cryin:.

Thanks for help and suggestions folks  :thumbs:.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 09:24:02 AM »
Bacon, I'll check that when I get home.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2009, 05:11:29 PM »
OK so I had something similar happen with my GXP today when I tried to take it out for a drive.  The last time I drove the car was January 2 and I have never had any issues with starting it, FYI mine is a manual trans.  I put the key in the ignition radio and lights all worked turned the key and click click click the car didn't even act like it was trying to turn the started over.  The needles all did a little sight seeing and bounced around.  Turned the key off and watched the needles return to normal resting places and then they would pulse back and forth a little.

So since I haven't seen much on how to trouble shoot this issue here I thought I would share what I did to find the problem.  I started by locating my volt meter and its leads, this by the way took almost the longest amount of time.  Hooked the meter up and noticed that the voltage was about 11.8 which I knew was low but not by much.  With the meter still hooked up I tried to start the car and noted the voltage, it dropped to about 10.4.  So 10.4 is not really that low but my guess is that the computer says the voltage under a high load is too low and doesn't even try to engage the starter.  Fortunately I didn't have to move cars around to be able to connect my jumper cables up to my truck which I just ran the day before.  Now with my truck off and hooked up to the GXP I tried to start the GXP.  Still nothing, so I started the truck reconnected the jumper cables to the GXP and left it run for awhile.  Then I tried to restart the GXP which this time started without hesitation, I disconnected the jumper Cables shut off the truck and took the GXP for a 40 mile drive.  Problem solved as the car now starts and runs on its own.

So in theory connecting the truck to the GXP should have been enough on its own because essentially I was just putting its battery in parallel with the low voltage battery in the GXP but it wasn't enough to start it.  Why?  Most likely because of a bad connection with the jumper cables but it could also still not have had enough voltage for the computer and in hind sight it would have been interesting to have noted what the voltage was with this setup.

My advice to Gunny is hook up a volt gauge across the battery if you haven't already done so and see what you get.  Then try to start the engine and note your voltage.  If you get numbers like I did I would suspect your battery is weak.  Try to jump the car again and make sure that you have good connections for your jumper cables.  Also you might want to check and clean your connections at the battery.  If your voltages are close to 12 or more when you try to start the car I suspect that you have other issues and will need to take the car in for work.

Safety note:  When jumping the car always attach the positive (red) cable before the negative (black) and when removing the cables its negative first then positive.  In fact this goes for anytime you are installing or removing a battery too.

Hope this helps
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2009, 06:30:23 PM »
Glad it worked out for you Sol Asylum,  I wish mine were that easy.  I've had about 12.7 volts the whole time and the battery that's in there now in just hitting a year old.  I know I can have a reading of 12+ volts and not hae enough amperage but trying to jump it with the truck would have solved that one.  I'll just take it in when I get back cause it is not something obvious or I would have found it already.

I just don't look forward to getting it onto a trailer safely with no power.  Guess I'll have to break out the come-along.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2009, 07:36:59 PM »
Gunny  1 more thing  pull the Emergency brake allthe way up .get the shifter in nuteral then while turning the key MOVE the shifter from 1 to Park slowly ccoulle times KEEP the key in the Starting position. Your Battrey has enough power with 12.7 volts switch your lites to the OFF mode
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2009, 08:56:53 PM »
I'll try that.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2009, 11:29:12 PM »
I wonder if the roadside assistance part of your warranty would get you some help at your place and worst case get you a tow so that you didn't have to mess with trying to get it on a trailer.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009, 01:14:03 AM »
 Gunny  and  Sol   road Side Assistance came out w/rollback when my key would not turn . But they first tried to get it working on the phone that was just Jan.20th. 1 month after I got it. I called the dealer service dept. and they gave me the Phone #.
Mods

Offline solid

• Tech
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 02:06:46 AM »
I wish I knew enough about this to help...but good luck getting Demon back to its health.
Live everyday like shark week!