Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Wanna play a game? Guessing my next fun car?  (Read 24697 times)

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Re: Wanna play a game? Guessing my next fun car?
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2021, 07:10:18 PM »
My questions are,
How long do you plan on owning the car?
Will the increased power of Stage 2, lessen the reliability of the car
What are common failures of cars that have been upgraded to that power? and what is the cost of repairs of those failures?
Besides HP bragging rights, what are the actual performance gains of Stage 1 and Stage 2? 
0-60mph time decrease, 1/4mile time decrease, 60-100mph time decrease

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2021, 03:48:15 AM »
Ask yourself this:

Will I be happy with a stage 1?   
   If yes, buy the stage 1
   If no, buy the stage 2.

Dickies?   They are a brand of work clothes here.
Dickies is something which came to my mind trying to avoid making conversions of currencies :D
Stage 1: bragging rights disappointing because 6xx sounds much weaker than 7xx. Performance wise I would be happy until I go out with some friends with tuned Nissan GTRs and other tuned cars and I start loosing and keep thinking to Stage 2 ...
Stage 2: Huge bragging rights, it might be annoying because of the cat-back sound half of the time when I don't want to hear the noise (no exhausts with flappers available at decent price anymore) but I know I reached the sweet spot of upgrades / reliability and accept it :)

My questions are,
How long do you plan on owning the car?
Will the increased power of Stage 2, lessen the reliability of the car
What are common failures of cars that have been upgraded to that power? and what is the cost of repairs of those failures?
Besides HP bragging rights, what are the actual performance gains of Stage 1 and Stage 2? 
0-60mph time decrease, 1/4mile time decrease, 60-100mph time decrease
I hope to own it at least 2-3 years more unless starts to break constantly and I get fed up.
Stage 2+ (downpipes and water/meth) is the maximum recommended spot for reliability around 800-850hp / 1000-1100Nm, I'm planning to stop at stage 2 (720-760hp / 900-950Nm) to keep it even safer. Normally the gearbox goes south or turbos above stage 2+, nothing major common.

Bragging rights is the major factor as I was saying above, performance wise, is pretty significand because of torque increase but people don't measure 0-60 or 1/4 mile on these cars to protect the gearbox of hard launches, most of them are measuring 100-200 km/h and rolling races.
I would estimate:

Stock:
- 100-200km/h - 10.1s (I measured it myself)
- 1/4 mile - 12.2s

Stage 1
- 100-200km/h - 8.8s
- 1/4 mile - 11.8s

Stage 2
- 100-200km/h - 7.3s
- 1/4 mile - 11.4s

Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2021, 11:06:32 AM »
Stage 1
- 100-200km/h - 8.8s
- 1/4 mile - 11.8s

Stage 2
- 100-200km/h - 7.3s
- 1/4 mile - 11.4s

Well there's your answer.  Those increases for stage 2 will be largely (if not completely) unnoticeable in the real world.  Plus your gas mileage will probably be worse.  So go to stage 2 for bragging rights ONLY.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2021, 11:50:01 AM »
For me- stop at Stage 1. There will always be someone faster, so throw pride out the window.
You bought a luxury car (that happens to be really fast) because you wanted a car for the family that was also fun to drive. If you swap exhaust and make it loud, you give up the nature of the car as well as the joy of hearing the small person in the back seat. Yes, I am sure sometimes you want to drown out the sounds, but you don’t have the option of a quite conversation with your son if you swap exhaust. If this was a third car the you took out for fun on weekends, great. Go crazy. But you will be picking up David from school someday and he will need to talk to you. You won’t be able to hear him.   On top of that, the whole character of the RS6 is understated and opulent. Why ruin that?  If you want a loud fast car, that’s great! But that isn’t why you bought the RS.
Make the right choices now

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2021, 12:08:55 PM »
The difference from stock to stage 2 on a rolling start is significant.
That's something you will feel.

It's only money.  I say go for the stage 2. 

Think about how much fun it will be to spank stock Camaro's and Corvettes with a grocery getter!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2021, 12:15:52 PM »
Well there's your answer.  Those increases for stage 2 will be largely (if not completely) unnoticeable in the real world.  Plus your gas mileage will probably be worse.  So go to stage 2 for bragging rights ONLY.

With the Camaro, MPG with UP when I got long tubes, so YMMV with upgrade impacts to MPG. Usually a cat back exhaust helps MPG though.

Kelu, do they make headers for that car/engine? Might be able to pick up enough power to get the results of "stage 2" with the exhaust note of "stage 1". Depends on how efficient the stock manifold/headers are though, I know my wife's Charger came stock with short tube headers.

Think about how much fun it will be to spank stock Camaro's and Corvettes with a grocery getter!!

Hey! My (not stock) Camaro is a grocery getter!  :poke:
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2021, 12:31:38 PM »
Go for stage 1 but find a decal that says "Stage 2" that you can put somewhere obvious.......
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2021, 02:12:26 PM »
Go stage 1 but let the wife drive it.  We know she's faster so it will be like you got stage 2 but for less Dickies!
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2021, 03:49:17 PM »
You can always add a Type R sticker
Rumor has it, they are worth 300hp

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2021, 03:57:50 PM »
The "feel" of stage 2 is more noticeable than going with stage 1 because of larger increase of torque. Bragging rights is something for every day self "feel":)

For me- stop at Stage 1. There will always be someone faster, so throw pride out the window.
You bought a luxury car (that happens to be really fast) because you wanted a car for the family that was also fun to drive. If you swap exhaust and make it loud, you give up the nature of the car as well as the joy of hearing the small person in the back seat. Yes, I am sure sometimes you want to drown out the sounds, but you don’t have the option of a quite conversation with your son if you swap exhaust. If this was a third car the you took out for fun on weekends, great. Go crazy. But you will be picking up David from school someday and he will need to talk to you. You won’t be able to hear him.   On top of that, the whole character of the RS6 is understated and opulent. Why ruin that?  If you want a loud fast car, that’s great! But that isn’t why you bought the RS.
Actually this is second car, for weekends and long trips :) and if I tell you the cat back has the option "resonated", basically has a set of silencers in the middle of the pipes and the reviews from owners is that this option makes it almost quiet as stock :D oh and by the way, for an untrained eye this is just another Audi A6 Avant which is full of them in my country. Hence I had 2 car guys first reaction was "Is this the real thing?". I bought this car because of the engine and being practical. On exterior for me is just another Audi with flared fenders, big wheels and breaks and some nice grilles.
I know you consider this as luxury because you know how these are build and quality, for me is a nice strong car with nice build and materials, but we don't consider this luxury.

You are right about stage 2 feel ;) Problem is I can't find Camaro's and Vettes, I'm having fun on highways with Mercs and BMWs :D

Uranium-238: You got stuck in NA cars, this is twin turbo V10, no headers on turbo cars and manifolds upgrade is useless unless the turbos get upgraded :D I think I got your point, the biggest gain in turbo cars is coming from downpipes but also the biggest noise increase and generally if downpipes get empty the cat back needs to be empty also otherwise back pressure will happen in cat-back. Full empty turbo-back exhaust is a huge noise increase and is up for 800hp.

Go for stage 1 but find a decal that says "Stage 2" that you can put somewhere obvious.......
I would go stage 1 and put 2L badges :D

Go stage 1 but let the wife drive it.  We know she's faster so it will be like you got stage 2 but for less Dickies!
You are still thinking to Dickies? :)) soon I have to pay the tax for this year, you don't want to know how many Dickies that is :(

« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 04:01:55 PM by Kelu »
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2021, 06:06:38 PM »
Kelu -

I guess Stage 1 vs Stage 2 comes down to dickies then.  If you got a big enough dickies account, then go for it.  If your dickies account is smaller and the VAG is going to make it worse when you page the tax, then go Stage 1. 

No reason you can't go Stage 1 this year and then Stage 2 next year when your dickies account gets full again.

I'll start another thread on "my next car" as I would NEVER want to derail your post.  If anyone is interested in what my wife is looking to buy for her next car, please do not post about that here in Kelu's thread.  We want to keep this on topic.

GJ.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2021, 09:38:01 PM »
I would never drift Kelu's thread by asking GJ what car his wife is thinking about getting even if I was really interested and wanted to know, which I am.  Especially given there really isn't anything else going on right now just some guy who's Dickies (assuming he has more than one) are lacking, trying to make the family truckster more cool.

"If you hate it now just wait till you drive it."

GJ does your wife still read some of these posts?  If so I could just ask her directly and therefore I didn't ask you so we should be good with Kelu.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2021, 10:17:57 PM »
Uranium-238: You got stuck in NA cars, this is twin turbo V10, no headers on turbo cars and manifolds upgrade is useless unless the turbos get upgraded :D I think I got your point, the biggest gain in turbo cars is coming from downpipes but also the biggest noise increase and generally if downpipes get empty the cat back needs to be empty also otherwise back pressure will happen in cat-back. Full empty turbo-back exhaust is a huge noise increase and is up for 800hp.

Was wondering if it was FI, based on stock power and the gains from bolt ons. I'm not familiar with that particular engine, and the article I looked at didn't mention turbos, so I went with a response for an NA engine. Pics looked turboed, but again what I'd seen on line wasn't precise.

Likely my search engine knows my preferences.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2021, 05:18:10 AM »
GJ: Going first with Stage 1 and get used with it, test it for a period even for one year makes the most sense and then down the road to fit the cat-back and update the tune is a good path. I loose only 100-200 difference in tune update.
Where is your topic :D

SA: Family car is the main topic nowadays, I still keep an eye on car sales sites, Kappa is something which I didn't forget :D

Uranium-238: If you are interested:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_RS_6 section for C6 (Typ 4F, 2008–2010)
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nzp4oym/
Is the only V10 RS6, before this gen and after they were all V8. Audi took this engine from Lamborghini Gallardo and used the NA version for S6 and S8 and turboed for RS6 and .

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2021, 08:45:29 AM »
I'd figured it was a variant of the Gallardo engine, based on your initial description back when you revealed the car. (Wiki was one of my sources, still doesn't say on the page that it's turboed, lol) Kinda shocking it's only in the 12's stock with that kind of power though. It's about identical in weight to my wife's Charger, and that should be good for a mid to low 12 with 485 crank HP.

I vote stage 2. With a turbo, it still won't be too loud, IMO. Keep in mind though that you have to shout to be heard over my Camaro at idle, and at cruise cabin SPLs are about 90-95 dBA, so I may not be the best judge...
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2021, 05:05:13 PM »
This car is quoted as 12.1s 1/4 ET in stock form ... I would not imagine it would go 10s without some serious power as it weights 4500lbs.

Don't forget Europe does not run for 1/4 ET ... heck there is only one pure drag strip in whole Europe ... in UK ... Santa Pod  so not 1/4 ET around here, now people started to use devices to measure 1.4 ET times but even so europeans don't like stand still hard launches to put stress on the tranny on their daily "luxury" cars. Most of Europeans are measuring dyno figures estimated at crank or rolling times.

US are wizards in terms of launches and ET, most of rwd in US are doing better 60ft times than 4x4 advanced trannies in Europe. For example I saw some numbers with this type of car, 4x4 60ft times are around 2.1s - 2.3s  :gaah:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 10:46:12 AM by Kelu »

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2021, 12:22:05 AM »
SA - There is a ball sitting on a T....

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2021, 12:28:25 AM »
So it's been like 2 weeks Kelu did you get done modding the LamboVagon yet?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2021, 03:31:38 AM »
Where are the vids of this Vagon in action?

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2021, 03:46:18 PM »
Since this is a vagon
If he adds meth, is that car douching?
:lol:

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2021, 12:43:42 AM »
UPDATE!!!! 

Team GJ made a purchase!!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2021, 08:44:14 PM »
UPDATE!!!! 

Team GJ made a purchase!!!!

In before Kelu...

:ttiwwp:
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2021, 10:35:42 PM »
In before Kelu...

:ttiwwp:

How dare you try to hijack Kelu?s car thread with nonsense about someone else!!!  This is HIS thread about HIS VAG!!!!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 01:18:32 AM by Gentleman Jack »

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2021, 04:38:04 AM »
How dare you try to hijack Kelu?s car thread with nonsense about someone else!!!  This is HIS thread about HIS VAG!!!!
Damn, you came down to this? :))

Cat-back ordered, estimated delivery 2-4 weeks :( damn brexit