Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Which oil do I need?  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
Which oil do I need?
« on: August 29, 2020, 12:37:59 PM »
Hi there!  :devil:

I would like to change the oil in my Saturn, but I'm not sure which oil to buy.

We are not able to buy the oil you're using in the U.S. and I had to take a look in the Opel Forum.

Some say use SAE 5W-30 GM/Opel Dexos1 Gen2  and others say use  Dexos 2. :banghead:

CARiD suggests ACDelco - GM Original Equipment Dexos 1 SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil (Gen2)

Opel changed the oil they use from Dexos 2 to Dexos 1 Gen2, because it would be better for turbo engines.

Unfortunately Opel didn't approve the Dexos 1 Gen2 oil for Saturn Sky / Opel GT.

I've asked the local Opel dealer for an oil change, but they want 150$ just for the oil (I'm not sure if they would take this f.... Peugeot salad oil :slap:)

If I would buy the oil from Amazon (or on EBay) I would have to pay 30$ for 5 liter.

Oliver  :usa:

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Which oil do I need?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 07:52:55 AM »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 02:17:53 PM »
And just to complicate things further...
https://www.fuelsandlubes.com/fli-article/the-new-gm-dexos2-its-complicated/

Thanks Bob, that's exactly what I needed! :cool:

That article included a  a pretty interesting statement: "Elsewhere in the world, GM requires dexos1 for gasoline engines and dexos2 for diesel engines". :devil:

That's what I've read somewhere in the Opel forum, too.

Additionally the guy in the Opel forum wrote that Opel didn't approve the Gt (Saturn), because it's no German / Opel car.

The  Opel Insignia (Buick Regal) which has the same engine (2.0 Turbo) got the approval for the Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil ( to prevent unpredictable pre-ignition / LSPI).

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 04:41:21 PM »
Why screw around with Dexos1 or 2 and put what it was required originally and that was Mobil I 5W-30 period.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »
Why screw around with Dexos1 or 2 and put what it was required originally and that was Mobil I 5W-30 period.

Thanks for the good advice. :cool:

I guess the problem in Germany has been, that Opel replaced the Mobil 1 filling with some GM/Opel stuff. :gaah:

Additionally GM has asked all German 2.0 Turbo owners (except Sky/GT) to only use Dexos 1 Gen2 (starting in 2017).

So many Opel GT owners got uncertain what to do and have been afraid of breaking their engine. :banghead:

I've checked the Mobil 1 oil and it has a Dexos2 approval.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 07:23:33 AM »

Mobil 1 today is not the same as what it was back in 2006 when these cars came out...go read up on ZDDP. Long story short, anti-wear additive in oil that's often claimed to poison catalytic converters, despite only anecdotal evidence of this happening out in the field.

Personally? For an engine designed before 2010, I run Royal Purple HPS. It's got the good anti-wear in it still, so I expect it's more in-line with what the engineers specified than the modern crap. The Charger get the SRT branded 0W-40, as that's what it's engineers specified. (At least for as long as it's available as specified...)
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 04:58:58 PM »
I use Mobil I on both the Solstice and the 2015 Vette and have had no issues with it, specially when GM continues to specify Mobil I for the Vettes.
I will never put the Dexos 1 or 2 on it period.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 08:10:17 AM »
I use Mobil I on both the Solstice and the 2015 Vette and have had no issues with it, specially when GM continues to specify Mobil I for the Vettes.
I will never put the Dexos 1 or 2 on it period.

But you DO put dexos1 in the car every time you change oil if you use Mobil1 as dexos is a GM spec. That is why GM recommends Mobil1 but that said, Mobil1 is not the only dexos1 oil out there. That said, as per the Mobil site, below not all Mobil1 oils meet the dexos1 General Motors spec. although most of them do.

You should be looking for the dexos logo on the front of the bottle.

https://www.hankgraffbgc.com/Dexos1.pdf

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants/for-personal-vehicles/our-products/motor-oils/mobil-5w-30-viscosity-oils

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:29:07 AM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 08:15:04 AM »
Although it's easier to just look for Mobil1 there are a PILE of GM approved dexos1 oils out there. One of them on this list surely is available in Germany Ironhide.

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 08:22:18 AM by Sly Bob »

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 01:33:43 PM »
Although it's easier to just look for Mobil1 there are a PILE of GM approved dexos1 oils out there. One of them on this list surely is available in Germany Ironhide.

https://www.gmdexos.com/brands/dexos1/index.html

Finally ordered genuine Opel / GM longlife syn. oil. :cool:

In Germany they only approved Dexos 2 oil for Saturn Sky / Opel GT. :banghead:

I guess 30$ is a fair price for 5 quarts.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2020, 04:21:35 PM »
Sly Bob.
I should have expanded on my line "I will never put the Dexos 1 or 2 on it period." and added the GM dealer Dexos 1 or 2 you find at all GM dealerships.

Solstice GXP 2007.