Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Can't wait until spring  (Read 6368 times)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Can’t wait until spring
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2020, 04:05:28 AM »
The GXP tires were speed rated higher than the NA otherwise like Bob said they are the same size.

Westers is another tune option and I think that members of this forum might still get a discount with them.  If I remember correctly he had one that worked with the GMPP sensors for even more power.

Shouldn't Spikey/Spicey/Steve from Solo be having a Black Friday sale going on soon?
Westers tune and Solo for exhaust are my top notch for tune and exhaust.

PS: Take into account advices coming from Sol Sylum, he is spot on almost all the time, including jokes :D
PS2: Stay away from Gentleman Jack, if you can't then you are doomed to join the misfits gang  ;)
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2020, 07:36:06 PM »
Solo has 15% off Friday to Dec 1st and DDM has their sale starting tomorrow.

Crazy expensive to ship from US to Canada

To do list : DDM delivery this week backbone, probeam and Venom brace

- SOLO delivery next week, Mach cat back with HighFlow converter

- DDM delivery next week, CAI and charge tubes

When everything is installed and running, Ken (U4E4) has sent me his old ECM with a GMPP and Trifecta tune that will hopefully work on my GXP with no hiccups.

So looking forward to this
Westers tune, DDM CAI - Charge Tubes - Venom Brace - Backbone - Probeam, SOLO Mach Cat-Back and High Flow Cat., Draw-Tite hitch with a Curt cargo carrier, Ultra-Guage Blue OBDII.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2020, 10:40:24 PM »
You could ask DDM if they will ship via the post office, that tends to be the most cost effective away to ship international.  I have probably shipped 1/4 of a Kappa to europe through the post office.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2020, 11:11:48 PM »
It was shipped with USPS $164.30 US, about $1 mmmiiilllliiioonn Canadian dollars lol
Westers tune, DDM CAI - Charge Tubes - Venom Brace - Backbone - Probeam, SOLO Mach Cat-Back and High Flow Cat., Draw-Tite hitch with a Curt cargo carrier, Ultra-Guage Blue OBDII.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2020, 02:03:14 AM »
Did someone call my name?
Make the right choices now

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2020, 10:17:05 AM »
Did someone call my name?

I didn't know you responded to "$1 mmmiiilllliiioonn Canadian dollars"!?
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2020, 12:05:37 PM »
Well played.

Aren't Canadian dollars know as Loonies?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 05:05:44 PM »
Solo is based in Canada, with a shop in the US.   Bob should know where it is located.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2020, 07:14:21 PM »
Bob is in Ontario which is like saying from the East Coast.

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2020, 08:45:25 PM »
Kind of crazy, paid in US dollars but told it would ship out of Ontario. Their site reports free shipping in the US and MOST of Canada. I ordered my parts over the phone and after requesting the Canadian deal Steve offered me the 15% Black Friday discount early. When he said $150 for shipping, I repeated their policy on their site and Steve said “ once you put the order on line and check out you would have received a phone call stating free shipping is only in Ontario and advised of the remaining cost owed to get it delivered. I said you’ve got to be kidding and after some complaining on my part he dropped the shipping to $100. I guess the rumours are true, Canada does stop at the Ontario border. LOL

When I received the shipping info it showed Departure from Kenmore NY? not Mississauga. Who knows

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 07:25:06 AM »
There are four Solo shops, they are listed on their site. One is in Welland not far from my house, one is in Stoney Creek(Hamilton), one is in Mississauga (Toronto), all in Ontario. The fourth is in Kenmore New York to service their US customers.

I'm surprised that the package would be shipped from the US but who knows. You DID order it from Canada I assume and even if you had ordered from the US you would think logically the would ship from here as that's where most of the parts are made anyway.

The cat for all the orders is made here in Welland. I've often spoken to the gentleman that makes them and he's surprised how many he still manufactures.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:17:49 AM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 01:53:42 PM »
Kind of crazy, paid in US dollars but told it would ship out of Ontario. Their site reports free shipping in the US and MOST of Canada. I ordered my parts over the phone and after requesting the Canadian deal Steve offered me the 15% Black Friday discount early. When he said $150 for shipping, I repeated their policy on their site and Steve said “ once you put the order on line and check out you would have received a phone call stating free shipping is only in Ontario and advised of the remaining cost owed to get it delivered. I said you’ve got to be kidding and after some complaining on my part he dropped the shipping to $100. I guess the rumours are true, Canada does stop at the Ontario border. LOL

When I received the shipping info it showed Departure from Kenmore NY? not Mississauga. Who knows

You're about a 4hr drive to Wester's Garage. 218 Centre St, Tilley, AB T0J 3K0, Canada.  He was the first I think to tune the LNF

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 02:34:10 PM »
If the model of exhaust you ordered happened to be in stock at their US location but not in the Canadian ones, it would account for it coming the route you said it went.

Sounds like you got the right shipping cost though. The free in Ontario shipping is probably by a local (and inexpensive) freight company - going half way across the continent is definitely going to cost more.

You got off easy - I buy quite a few books and other small items from the US. I often see free shipping in the USA on a $10 book, but to pop it in the mail to Canada they want $25!  In the mean time, things ordered all the way from China (and I recently got an item from Singapore the same way) with free shipping must be affecting sales by US vendors.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2020, 06:44:27 PM »
The good thing is for the exhaust, the shipping is free to most places in Canada. The DDM parts are a different story. As others have said, USPS is usually the least expensive route.

As I'm so close to the US/Canada border I used to ship to the US, drive to Niagara Falls USA, pick up the part and drive back. I can leave the house and be back to the house in an hour.

COVID closing the border is really cramping my style.  :D

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2020, 12:29:45 AM »
Nope, most places in Canada means “Ontario “

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2020, 07:47:05 AM »
I called Jeff from Solo yesterday and asked him about the free shipping and he said that shipping costs are ridiculous in Canada (no surprise there) and he just can't do free shipping to most places in Canada. He has personally contacted most of the carriers trying to get a break on the shipping costs but they are essentially unresponsive. In order to keep the cost as low as possible he has to ship many Canadian orders from his store in Kenmore NY which seems ridiculous but that's what he has to do to keep costs down for the customer.

It's ridiculous when you can't ship from within your own country because the costs are so high and we know that US costs are so much lower. Kind of similar, I suppose, that I can fly to Vancouver British Columbia far cheaper flying from Buffalo New York than I can flying from Toronto Canada. Doesn't seem right to me but I guess that's the world we live in...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 09:04:25 AM by Sly Bob »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2020, 10:33:27 AM »
Bob, guess that's another way they pay for that free medical.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2020, 02:54:22 PM »
Bob, some countries seem to have subsidized postal rates. China and Singapore are often free postage and I have bought books from the UK for a long time as the shipping is cheaper than getting them from 50 miles away across the border in the US.

And on the the flying issue, I can fly to London or Paris from Vancouver more cheaply than I can fly to Toronto, which makes little sense to me.

Deep - we don't have free medical up here, it is paid for in taxes and in some cases partially by contribution from the patient. What we do have is sensible laws about pricing. Your pharmacy industry are racketeers. They claim that they need to hike prices to get pay back for development costs on drugs. But then they do things like discontinue a cheap drug that does the job for a new one that they can bump the price on because...it is 'new'.

We can buy US made drugs here for a fraction of what you pay at your stores and it isn't because we are subsidized, it is because our government will not allow the pharma companies to gouge us so they either sell at a reasonable cost or not at all. That's why there are line-ups at the border for US citizens anxious to pay maybe 25% of US pricing for the same drugs.

We get a kick out of the pharmas saying that they need to charge you guys double or triple or they'd go out of business, but somehow they still seem willing to sell to Canada for a fraction of the price. Gee - if they were telling the truth, you'd think they would be losing money on every sale up here wouldn't you......?

And that isn't a political post, it is just a comment on how some companies gouge when they are allowed to.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2020, 12:39:55 AM »
There are a lot of our friends south of the border that have been duped into thinking health care in Canada is free. It is only free to those that can not afford it. For everybody else we pay high federal taxes along with provincial health care fees at around $75 per person per month. That covers going to a doctor or to the hospital. For dental, Chiropracter, vision, prescriptions,etc. it varies but it’s around $150 month to pay a discounted fee that is shared by you and your employer if your lucky but if retired or at a lower income job, you pay. Far from free !!

On a lighter note, the DDM probeam, backbone and viper brace are installed. The Solo Mach exhaust and High Flow Cat are in and after a lot of cutting and grinding put on a Draw-tite hitch. Purchased an Ultra Guage Blue for instrumentation and reading codes. The worst project so for was changing out the thermostat (was going to wait on changing out the Cat until after trying the ECM with the Trifecta Tune but ended up pulling the Cat to get the Thermostat seated properly). Still waiting for the DDM charge tubes and CAI, been travelling for a week and not to the border yet. Got ahead of myself so everything is off and not able to fire it up to at least hear the new exhaust.

Once the parts get here I’ll start it up, make sure there are no codes and swap the ECMs. Everything I can find says the 2007s can just swap them out. There’s a half hour learn procedure and the possibility of a key learn procedure but should work. The donor ECM is loaded with the GMCC and trifecta tunes. The Trifecta was Dyno tuned with aftermarket exhaust and CAI. The only difference from my GXP would be the High Flow Cat. According to Trifecta, the donor eCM might show a “no cat installed code” but should learn down and operate at a lower boost to compensate.

Would appreciate any feedback, thoughts, knowledge etc, don’t want to damage her before I even get her out on the road

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2020, 11:12:23 AM »
Under the wipers windshield surround is best to removed to gain access to the thermostat.  Hope you followed the burping procedures. Not sure on the learn down for the trifecta.   The stock tune always "learn down" can be reset by clearing fuel trims. Westers tune never learned down.

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
Re: Can't wait until spring
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2020, 12:44:02 AM »
She’s ready for spring. Went for the Westers Tune and everything is installed. Hardest install was the hitch but happy with the result. Love the sound of the SOLO exhaust and the look of the CAI and charge tubes under the hood. Hate that I can’t get it out of the garage and enjoy the ride. It’s going to be a long winter. Thanks for all of your inputs
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:37:12 AM by DeepBlueGXP »