Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Bone Stock GXP Checking In  (Read 1737 times)

Offline Kappaccino

• Apprentice/Gofer
Bone Stock GXP Checking In
« on: January 05, 2021, 03:03:38 PM »
Happy New Year!
Just picked up a 07 Solstice GXP 5MT a few weeks ago. Lots to learn about this car. My first car was a hand-me down Pontiac Sunbird coupe. That was my only foray in domestic automotive brand! I've been checking out Boxsters, Z4s and the odd Miata to add to my weekend fun-car collection. By chance stumbled upon this single owner no accident GXP specimen and the rest as they say is history. I remembered being really impressed when Lutz introduced the Solstice/Sky roadsters. I'll share my thoughts why I picked this over the other roadsters some other time. The car is bone stock.... even down to the Goodyear A/S tires.  :(
I love the rarity of this car. My neighbour asked if this is a Tesla roadster the other day.  :huh:

Anyway just want to drop by to say hello. I am glad to see an active owner community that I get to learn from!

Here are some cellphone photos when I picked her up. She'll be garaged 'till spring.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Bone Stock GXP Checking In
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 03:51:27 PM »
Congrats!!!  Great looking GXP.  Happy Modding...

Sound like your neighbor doesn't know that a Tesla is electric and doesn't have exhaust pipes.  :lol:

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:44 PM »
Good looking car and you got the best color.  The only issue with these cars are all the mods you can do to them, and once you start.........
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Kappaccino

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 07:00:48 PM »
Thanks!

Based on research thus far it seems that for power mods, I should get a tune and a HFC and call it a day. The other mods don't really come into effect or negligible until one installs a bigger turbo.

In terms of handling, my old school autox experience has been tires, tires, tires! Especially with these Goodyear Eagles. I'm just torn as the previous owner proudly told me she installed brand new tires! The colored strips are still on it!  :)
Then may look into the DDM bundle.

Offline KappaSky

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:18:07 PM »
Welcome fellow Canadian

Offline Kappaccino

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 02:34:31 PM »
Thanks Kappasky! I had fond memories living in South Western Ontario. Planning a trip to visit there once this COVID thing is over.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »
Thanks!

Based on research thus far it seems that for power mods, I should get a tune and a HFC and call it a day. The other mods don't really come into effect or negligible until one installs a bigger turbo.

In terms of handling, my old school autox experience has been tires, tires, tires! Especially with these Goodyear Eagles. I'm just torn as the previous owner proudly told me she installed brand new tires! The colored strips are still on it!  :)
Then may look into the DDM bundle.

Yes.  Tires first.  Bundle second.  Performance alignment third.  Better yet - all at the same time.  Alignment specs available somewhere....  I forget where.  Someone will chime in.  Or email DDM.
Also - and this part is just my opinion - zok springs if you can find them.  Just a tiny bit lower than stock GXP, 18% stiffer (I made that stat up) and very nice on the road.

Make the right choices now

Offline Kappaccino

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 07:36:58 PM »
I think if I were to lower the car, I'd probably go with H&R or ST as they are more readily available than Z0K. Coilovers are nice but when I had it in my WRX, the novelty of changing the settings wore off after a few months.
I quite like my current FE3 set-up except for the wheel gap. It's larger than my BMW wagon!!!

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
Hello Kap. from a fellow garaged newly owned 2007 GXP. I also purchased a low km GXP this winter and dove into the mods being I can’t drive her in the Alberta winter. I thought I could keep busy with adding the DDM back brace / probeam / viper brace / CAI / charge tubes, Westers tune, Solo Mach and HFC, thermostat, hitch, reverse sensor, painted mud flaps, cargo carrier and everything maintenance tip I could read up on the forum but sadly I ran out of projects and parked her outside under a fitted tarp. On the test drive The temp light quickly flashed on and off so the first project was the thermostat and bleeding the coolant system. Thanks for all the info on this forum. My biggest concern is the same as yours, the soft top. Crazy design. My top is as far as I can tell in perfect shape but sure seams tight when latching the trunk attachments. Now just trying to decide if I should carry a spare water pump on road trips ! Enjoy the wrenching
Westers tune, DDM CAI - Charge Tubes - Venom Brace - Backbone - Probeam, SOLO Mach Cat-Back and High Flow Cat., Draw-Tite hitch with a Curt cargo carrier, Ultra-Guage Blue OBDII.

Offline Kappaccino

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 09:29:36 PM »
@Rdesh,
It sucks to just bought a car and have to park it for a few months. You seem to have applied mods on your GXP quickly! I am going to take my time with it. Just going to perform fluid changes in the next two months. Look into performance mods come spring.

Anyone knows the usual deals season for DDM, Solo etc? I missed the DDM Christmas sale.