Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Farewell from Midlife  (Read 1688 times)

Offline Midlife

• Tech
Farewell from Midlife
« on: January 09, 2021, 11:46:01 PM »
Friends,

This is a post I have been regretting sending for some time.  Now that "midlife" has turned to "senior," I decided to move to a car than is a little roomier with some additional creature comforts.  I bought a used Mercedes SL550 as a replacement today.  I'll be putting my GXP up for sale on the forum and elsewhere very soon.  It's been 129,000 miles of fun (and only 52,000 miles of fun on my replacement engine.) 

It all started in early 2006 for me.  I took one look at this new car and fell in love at first sight.  What followed was a daily obsession with watching videos and looking at the forum. Then Pontiac announced the GXP and I suffered an agonizing wait for that until I could get my hands on one.  It was life changing. 

Meeting so many of you in person was a real unexpected pleasure.  I went to several annual and regional meets, three pilgrimages to the factory, and several weekends hosted by Joe, who created this forum, to work on modifications to our cars.  You are fun loving, easy going, non-pretentious, great people who are passionate about our cars.

So while I'm excited about the SL550, it is a sad day for me because it means saying goodbye to my GXP, this forum, and the many friends I have made among you.  While my car in now replaced, you are irreplaceable. 

And so many of you give of yourself so freely to organize and volunteer at the events, for some MANY hours.  I am overwhelmed in gratitude.  I'm tempted to name names, but I won't because I know I'll forget someone.  Well, I have to mention Joe, his wife and his son.  Great and generous are you! For the rest of you, you know who you are.  If you don't remember me by the name Midlife, I was "the cocktail guy."  Now you remember.  You are the best.  Thank you for creating so many happy memories for me.

I'd love to stay in touch.  Send me a PM if you'd like and I'll provide contact information.

I'd close by saying the Irish Blessing: "May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. ..." except that that the wind is always IN FRONT of you in these great cars.  So, I'll just say drive safe, be well, and carry on.

Cheers,

Midlife

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Farewell from Midlife
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 11:51:25 PM »
Don't be a stranger, you are still welcome here.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 01:40:12 AM »
Sorry to hear but you have to do what is best for you. I thought about doing the same thing ( & My time will come in the near Future )I just don't want to let go just yet  The     1 LILNDN   is 12 yrs. old  now with almost 50,000 miles . Wish you Good luck  and Happy Motoring along the way My Friend . STOP IN from time to time just to say HI   

Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 04:45:25 PM »
Sorry to see you go. Wish you all the best in the future as well as a long prosperous life. Don't forget to stop by from time to time to say hi and let us know how things are going.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 05:10:08 PM »
I sold mine, but still come here to chat with the guys, whish you the best.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 06:25:37 PM »
Good luck with your sale. 

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 07:55:46 PM »
GLWS but you can still come on the forum.  There are a bunch of us "Previous" owners that still hang out

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 08:50:30 PM »
There are a bunch of us "Previous" owners that still hang out

I'm one of them. Sold my Sky Redline back in 2011, and I'm still around. Great bunch of folks on this site.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Hobart

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 08:50:03 PM »
You may want to also consider a home equity loan to pay for the parts and labor the SL is going to need.  I don?t think there is a part on that car that?s not 4 figures.  It?s a dream to drive and really makes a statement, but it?s certainly not a penny-pincher?s paradise.