Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: New Redline Owner Here. Just Saying Hello  (Read 1895 times)

Offline mevmyself

• Apprentice/Gofer
New Redline Owner Here. Just Saying Hello
« on: November 15, 2021, 12:33:35 PM »
Just introducing myself to the forum. I reently picked up a super cheap low mile green/tan color Redline with 50k miles. I have been cleaning up the car and about to treat the top with waterproof spray and hit the road.
The car looks amazing, but it has its minor issues I hope to learn about on the forum. I want to order all the mods on RPMs' website lol, but now I am starting to see that some mods may not be necessary for me.
I would like to get the most out of this car while still running on pump gas (not many fuel options here where I live) without compromising reliability.

Well that is my plan. Glad to be here. See you in the forums!
Pics are terrible but just figured I would put some up.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Re: New Redline Owner Here. Just Saying Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 01:04:53 PM »
couple other websites you can check out are zzperformance.com, performanceautowerks.com and ddmworks.com

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 01:38:33 PM »
She IS pretty, love that colour combination. Thanks for sharing the pics and welcome to the forum.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 02:21:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline mevmyself

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 05:57:18 PM »
Thanks everyone. I am checking out all those websites now :)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 09:42:27 PM »
Welcome!

I sold my Sky Redline almost ten years ago, but made enough friends in the community that I'm still around.

Personally, I have to recommend an LS swap, but that's me. (I'm not a fan of the LNF.)
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline mevmyself

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 12:40:18 AM »
Welcome!

I sold my Sky Redline almost ten years ago, but made enough friends in the community that I'm still around.

Personally, I have to recommend an LS swap, but that's me. (I'm not a fan of the LNF.)
Of course, I assumed everyone did that after you know 70-80k lol.  I have wondered how drivable it is with the LS motor.  Saw it on you tube where the guy swapped his moms engine.  She seemed like she hated it, but it sounded bada$$!

Offline mevmyself

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 12:48:11 AM »
She IS pretty, love that colour combination. Thanks for sharing the pics and welcome to the forum.

I agree.  I have always wanted a car or truck with this color combo.  The right car/truck and it just looks.... I don't know, classy.?  Someone back me up, is that the right word for it?
90's Ford trucks, late 90's Cadillac's, NA NB miatas,  Some BMW's, Lotus too, and many more I'm sure.  Just a great combo like you said Sly Bob.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 04:14:44 AM »
The only thing you gain from doing an LS swap on a Solstice is an empty wallet and a sound. You can achieve the same power as an LS3 for 6,000 grand where an LS3 is going to cost 25,000. It doesn't make the car faster then doing a couple of bolt on parts. I am not sure why there is such an attraction to it. Anything over 500 hp and the vehicle really can't utilize the power because of the inability to get the tires to hook up unless you make the car look like a roller skate which is illegal in a lot of states.

Not bashing an ls3 conversion at all but I just don't see the point to spending 25,000  because of the sound the car makes.  Put 4 grand into the audio system and play a recording of a V8 running.  :rofl:

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 09:57:59 AM »
Not bashing an ls3 conversion at all but I just don't see the point to spending 25,000  because of the sound the car makes.  Put 4 grand into the audio system and play a recording of a V8 running.  :rofl:

Maybe one of these?    :D

« Last Edit: November 18, 2021, 10:51:41 AM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline mevmyself

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 10:22:30 AM »
The only thing you gain from doing an LS swap on a Solstice is an empty wallet and a sound. You can achieve the same power as an LS3 for 6,000 grand where an LS3 is going to cost 25,000. It doesn't make the car faster then doing a couple of bolt on parts. I am not sure why there is such an attraction to it. Anything over 500 hp and the vehicle really can't utilize the power because of the inability to get the tires to hook up unless you make the car look like a roller skate which is illegal in a lot of states.

Ok, so what you are saying is go bigger? Like Viper V10? J/K Yeah funny you say recording. Some cars (I think the RS ford) do that.  When you race the engine it plays audio to compliment it and make a high end sound. Oh how stupid.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2021, 11:45:41 PM »
What I am saying is if you couldn't do anything to the stock engine that would bring it up to the same HP and it  costing the same or less then an ls swap then what would be the  purpose? If it was because it has not been done before that would be a good reason. So yes cramming a Viper engine into a Solstice would be something worth doing because it has not been done.

Now if you have the  engine kicking about or you got some sort of a crazy deal on it I could understand doing that. But going out and buying a brand new LS engine  with the sole intent of installing it into a Solstice just doesn't equate to me.  It's not my money and people can do whatever they like with the money they have. It's not something I would spend 25+ thousand dollars on. PerformanceAutoWerks sells a 1000HP LS7 installed into a Solstice for 60,000.00.. for 60,000 I could drop in a built rb26dett pumping out 1500+hp or even a 120+hp 2jz  engine for 1/2 the price. 60 grand for a 1000 hp motor  don't see how it would be better.

Probably the Solstice that had the most in upgrades done by Mallette sold on Bring a Trailer earlier this year. 130,000  in mods so 160,000 total for the price of the car and the mods. Has an LS7  in it pumping out just over 1000bhp (900whp). it sold for just over 60,000 and it was only driven maybe 3000 miles.  someone took it in the shorts on that one. Whats worse is I think the car was sold years earlier for 30,000....

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2021, 12:19:28 AM »

Why on earth would you swap in an LS3, and I say that as an LS3 owner. Cheaper options out there that'll get you close, unless you happen to have one laying around.

I maintain a nice truck aluminum-block build in the 300-350ish HP range will be more reliable than an LNF at the same power, and that's why I'd do the swap. Water pump failures every 60k miles or so? No. Timing chain worries? No. Turbo complexity worries (intercooler ballooning? Boost leaks?) Sure, if you turbo the LS and make even more power. Hell, an iron block 5.3 LM7 is within about a hundred pounds of the weight of an LNF.

I enjoyed my Kappa, but I traded it for a 5.3 LM7 pickup. 290HP/350 ft/lbs or torque, and it's run like a top, only needing spark plugs, oil changes, and one injector in 130k miles. Reliability is why I'd want to do the swap. (Parts availability a close second.)

2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.