Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: cooling fan not working??  (Read 2013 times)

Offline wegman

• Founding Member
  • Tech
cooling fan not working??
« on: March 12, 2009, 06:06:23 AM »
ok so check it out.. my car has been over heating for a few months now and only when im at a stop.. nothing new right??? well i had the top down the other day (pre gm tune) and i didnt hear the fan.. so i checked the fuse..its good.. checked the voltage to the fan and its good.. BUT there is a little wire that is my guess a sort of kick on wire? tiny wire right next to the 10g wire and well any ideas??  :idk: why that wire isnt getting power?? maybe something i can check?  any help is greatly appreaciated!!!!

thanks every one, wegman
08 gxp 2 10\" subs and avic fb900..
wish list/
other rides= 2004 rubber mounted 1250cc harley davidson sporster custom complete engine up grade 100whp and 100 ftp

Offline wegman

• Founding Member
  • Tech
Re: cooling fan not working??
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 06:07:36 AM »
o and it does not matter if the ac is on or off it still wont come on.... :gaah:
wish list/
other rides= 2004 rubber mounted 1250cc harley davidson sporster custom complete engine up grade 100whp and 100 ftp

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:17:33 AM »
There is a possible short on the harness going down to the fan.  Check for wear on the lower side to the frame area. 

Was your battery ever dead or your car used to jump another?

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:45:16 AM »
Don't get  :gaah: at me ........... but if there is a loss of power then the circuit is "open". If there were a short then either a fuse would blow, circuit breaker would pop, or there would be a LOT of smoke and melted insulation.

It's dealership time.

I pulled away from this response and opened up Mitchell OnLine. Assuming you have a LNF engine, here is how it appears to work. Twelve volts is supplied to the fan via the 60A fuse at pin 1 of the fan. The fan is always "hot". The ECM supplies a signal from the ECM via the Cooling Fan Speed Control which supplies GROUND through a jumper in the Fuse Block to pin 4 on the cooling fan. Thus the fan is "ground controlled". (Please, no references of "Ground Control to Major Tom" !!) That little wire that is "nicked" may be broken (not ground signal) or frayed (high resistance or partial ground). If it is either, that may be the issue. Look at the connector. If there are only two wires (pins 1 and 4) you might have identified the problem. Your choices are to try to repair the wire (properly) and see if that solves the problem, or take it to the dealership. This depends on you comfort level in playing around in a wiring harness that is linked to the computer  -  make a mistake a POOF.

If it's an LE5 that has a completely different wiring diagram, and appears to be more complicated. THAT should go straight to the shop.

edit:  Didn't you just get a GMPP tune installed? If so, D'OH !!!!!!!!! You were in the shop -- why didn'y you tell them? If you haven't done the tune, never mind!!
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 02:00:12 PM »
I believe the fans are controlled by the Temp sensor on both engines.  If the sensor is bad, the ECU will never know the engine is getting hot.  Does your dash display show the temp?
2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline wegman

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »
the display worksas far as i know.. tonight im gonna throw a temp meter on it to find out.. ok so i checked the voltage to the fan at the plug it was showing the 12v and the small wire was .01v on my multi meter... i tryed to get them to fix it at the dealer ship 5x now and cant reproduce the car over heating.. they said (the fan will come on when it has too) and i call that  :bs: !!!   the temp sen. was right next to thermostat, or just to the right about 4 in with a silver wire protector?

thanks every one, wegman
wish list/

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 04:24:30 PM »
Working backwards on the wiring diagram I viewed, the DIC receives data from the Data Bus. The Temp sensor sends its signal to the ECM. From there it is how I described before. The actually factory wiring diagram shows, AT the fan, Pin1 12V, Pin 2 Ground, and Pin 4 feeds the ECM signal to the COOLING FAN SPEED CONTROL module. So, a correction is in order; IF the ground is GOOD, then one has to diagnos BACK from the fan starting with the Fan Speed Control Module. These modules often fail on all manner of cars, not just GM.

As for the :bs: from the dealership, they can (would) use their Tech 2 scan tool to command the ECM to activate the fan. [One can do that at home. Start the car and warm it up, open the hood, turn on the A/C, and listen for the fans to come on. You may need somebody to activate the A/C with you head sort of buried in the front of the engine compartment to listen for the fan. If it doesn't come on, then that nearly eliminates the Temp Sensor as those commands are independent.] If the fan will not come on, they don't NEED a hot engine, as THE FAN WON'T COME ON. If they insist on duplicating the problem, the fans are programmed to come on at (I believe) at about 230deg F. Have them start the engine with the A/C on. The engine will get hot enough. Politely ask the Service Writer or SVC. Mgr. the following question; "Would you like to correct the problem in cool weather, or have me bring in a car with all the coolant blown out of the cooling system because it all boiled out in traffic? After all, we may be talking about an ENGINE, not a RELAY." This should work. If not. customer service at GM will. Dealerships HATE those calls from GM. Regardless of how good or bad a store is, they live/die by their CSI ratings, and GM is using CSI scores as one of their criteria for closing stores.

BTW, since you are attempting to measure voltage at ground, it WILL be zero. What you should do is measure continuity between Pin 2 on the wiring harness plug and a good known ground point. Supposedly, that point will be a tab bolted to some sheet metal at the right front corner of the engine compartment. It should be ZERO on the ohm setting of your meter.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:29:41 PM by snaponbob »
Bob Buxbaum

Offline wegman

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 05:20:31 PM »
ok heres the update i put a dwell tach meter on the 3rd small pin and the other to a ground and its getting a signal (so its not the ecm) so thats when i went to the dealer and they put the fan on a 90% duty cycle and nothing so i have to replace the whole fan assy.. they want $332.48 for just the part!! gmpartsdirect has it for like $122.00 me and the tech at the dealer looked and its 2 bolts and 2 possible clips holding it on there all i have to do is remove the air intake to get it out.. i currently have 48000mi on the car and i only have the 100,000 5 yr, its not covered!! i will take pics of the whole process when the time comes..

i just want to deeply thank every one for helping me find out what to look for and check out!! i love this forum!!

thanks again, wegman
wish list/

Offline wegman

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:25:21 PM »
o im not mad at anyone its no ones fault... sh!t happens..  im just frustrated thats all.. ;)
i mean its an 08 who wouldnt be upset?? right?? thank you for all the help!!!

thanks again, wegman
wish list/

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 06:07:22 PM »
Confirmed the warranty issue. It's cash time. GMDirect will hboe you on the "shipping and handling" charges. Trust me. This has been beat to death on the Solstice forum. Call GMDirect and ask them for the price/cost AT YOU DOOR STEP. Example, Crate Engine Depot (a GM dealership venture) sells the GMPP tune for $550 ples about $5 shipping. GMDirect sells the tune for $481 and chanrges about $95 shipping and handling. How about THEM apples? If it were me, I would contact Crate Engine and get a price on that fan assembly. Before you dump money on the fan assembly, is the control module available as a replacement part and can THAT be the problem?

If you need a fan assembly, PM me with a part number. I can help you.
Bob Buxbaum