Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Check Engine Light question  (Read 2983 times)

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Enjoying the cool summer
Check Engine Light question
« on: March 18, 2009, 08:23:58 AM »
While driving my car this past weekend the check engine light came on.  Now this has happened a couple of times since I've added my BSR Tune but I thought I'd ask how do I tell what this light means?  I know in a past car I could press a button under the dash and based on how many short & long flashes it would tell me what the problem was. 

Now the light went out after driving for awhile so it could be me getting on it while she was a bit cold didn't agree with everything.  I drove the car for a couple hours yesterday and it was great so I don't believe it's anything fatal, just curious.

Another question (and I can post separately if needed) I just got an iPod Touch and I can get programs that go with it to do things like check 1/4 mile and 0-60 times (like my Passport GT2 timer) but was wondering if anyone was familiar with other apps or options these things can do with cars.  Maybe a mobile diagnostic tool? 

Thanks
Dean
Sly with premium-auto-spoiler-pedals-onstar-xm-monsoon-crome wheels-a/c-headliner.
BSR Tune / GM Performance Exhaust / Xenon fog lights / K&N drop in / Debadged
Best 1/4 - 13.12 @ 102.6 / 60 foot 1.9 seconds
0-60 in 4.37 seconds

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
Re: Check Engine Light question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:55:16 AM »
That's waht I like about the dashhawk.  I can pull the code and clear the codes to see if it was a one time glitch or a real problem and have a history of codes thrown. 

Not sure about the Ipod touch but if it will do 1/4 mile times I'm sure something like a reader capability is in the works.  I would call thier tech support and ask them if they know of anything. 

I know I read it somewhere on the big board a long time ago about a key turn combination that brought up codes but I can't find it or remember what it was. 
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:04:05 AM »
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »
Do you have an aftermarket CAI?  Autozone and Advance Auto Parts will do code reading for free. 

There isn't a key on and dash light blink code reading system.  You need something hooked up to the OBD-II. 

DashHawk, AeroForce Guage, HPTuners etc... will scan and clear codes.  It is possibly a missfire condition since it goes away.    IT will still be in history though

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
Having an aftermarket tune I would invest in some sort of code reader if I were you.  I agree with DBG.  I think it probably a misfire or possible a MAF glitch.  if it's a miss fire you may want to look into the spark plug TSB also.

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 10:05:11 AM »
There is an iphone app that works on the ITouch called dynolicious, that will do what you wish.  It is expensive though.

Apps also work on the Itouch, you just have to be hooked into a wifi to download it quickly. 

My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

lil goat

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »
Dynolicious is $12.99, I guess that is expensive in this economy.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
yeah, go with the dynolicious ! :)
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:31:02 AM »
 :agree:

That's the app I was reviewing and I guess with my Passport I might not need it but to have another comparison or if I'm riding with someone else it might come in handy. 

I'll see if I can get an ODB-II connector for the iPod or Passport. 

The misfire makes sense, especially with my sparkplug issue which come to think of it might have been when I started having this problem. 

Thanks for the info guys!!   :urock:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:54:22 AM by sol_man »
Sly with premium-auto-spoiler-pedals-onstar-xm-monsoon-crome wheels-a/c-headliner.
0-60 in 4.37 seconds

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 07:34:23 AM »
This may help with the Ipod question.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/new-iphone-program-reads-your-obd-ii-using-rev-50767/

Thanks Gunny!  That has post has some great details that I'm currently researching. 

I found this link - http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/ot2.php
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:54:00 AM by sol_man »
0-60 in 4.37 seconds