Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Aluminum door sill separating  (Read 1638 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Aluminum door sill separating
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:01:29 PM »
The aluminum door sill plate is lifting in the centre on the passenger side of my GXP.  :cryin: Has anyone repaired this them selves? I'm afraid that if the dealer just replaces it, it will happen again. Drivers side so far seems okay.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline anorth45503

• Tech
Re: Aluminum door sill separating
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 02:59:38 AM »
I have the same problem, I think there is a tsb. I will fix myself with some glue

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2009, 01:12:09 PM »
I had the same problem and fixed it with some Liquid Nails the Joe Jr found lying around Joe's Garage.

Something you might want to do is remove the entire aluminum strip and carefully shave/grind a couple of mm off one end.  It seems to be just a hair long for the depression it sits in. 

Something else you'd want to do is remove the entire trim piece from the car before attemptin a self-repair.  This way you can clamp it down until it dries...

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2009, 10:33:29 PM »
Had mine replaced by the dealer. Got them to give me the old one. Upon measuring I would say the sills are a bit too long and they press them into place with the tape and eventually that fails. Taking just a bit off the end of  the sill should fix the problem.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 05:05:55 AM »
Mine was replaced for the same reason, I'll cut some off the next time it lifts or I'll just put on the new Windrestrictor Door sills when they become available.

Offline ctyankee

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 10:53:53 AM »
One of mine fell off shortly after I got the car. The dealer fixed it and I haven't had any problems since.