Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: autox n00b  (Read 3881 times)

Offline boardkat

• Master Tech
autox n00b
« on: October 14, 2009, 05:59:16 PM »
been spending my time over @ the "other" solstice forum up until today, when i first heard about kappa performance.  i'm an avid autox'er that recently jumped out of a DS-prepped '98 Acura Integra Type-R.  it was a hoot on and off course, especially for a stock FWD car, but got tired of essentially playing russian roulette everytime it got out of my sight.  picked up an '07 GXP last weekend, with plans of prepping it for AS autox duty.  here's how it looked when i bought it:

it'll be a work in progress preparing it during the offseason, but so far i've already picked up a set of SSR Type-C RS 18x8 +55 wheels and mounted up some Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 *Spec 245/45R18 tires for daily driving duty.  installed a SOLO Performance Street Race exhaust yesterday - can't say i'm too fond of the sound currently, but the 22WHP/9WTQ i picked up makes it bearable - let's hope it doesn't tune down and sticks!!  Z0K parts have been ordered, shock plans are in the works [can anybody help me find a donor set of stock GXP Bilsteins??], rotors/pads/fluids will be replaced when everything gets in, and some 295 A6's will find their way onto a second set of SSR's once my co-driver ponies up some cash in the new year.

glad to be a part of the community - this car is a blast!!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:10:34 PM by boardkat »
'05 Lotus Elise || SS/42
'09 GXP 5MT Sly Coupe #802 - RIP :(
'82 Reynard FF1600 || CM/70
'86 Golf || chumpcar monster

Ben L

Re: n00b
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:00:40 PM »
Welcome.  Sounds like exactly the right moves for A Stock.  But there is SO much more that can be done. . . .  There's always BSP.  

Still, we have an SCCA guy in the WDC region (Eric Kremelmeir) who runs a GXP in ZOK trim in A Stock (pretty much configured exactly as you propose, except ZOK valved Bilsteins), and he is friggin' fast!  Even our top guys in XP have a hard time beating his raw times, and he kicks us all silly in PAX times.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:11:42 PM by Ben L »

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: n00b
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 06:10:56 PM »
ohooo, welcome and congrats for the new toy ;)

Enjoy your stay and have fun, well not too much :P you have races to do ;)
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline boardkat

• Master Tech
Re: autox n00b
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 06:13:15 PM »
lol, it's silly season now, the forums are all i've got for awhile!!  damn winter... :(
'05 Lotus Elise || SS/42

Offline boardkat

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:17:42 PM »
Welcome.  Sounds like exactly the right moves for A Stock.  But there is SO much more that can be done. . . .  There's always BSP. 

Still, we have an SCCA guy in the WDC region (Eric Kremelmeir) who runs a GXP in ZOK trim in A Stock (pretty much configured exactly as you propose, except ZOK valved Bilsteins), and he is friggin' fast!  Even our top guys in XP have a hard time beating his raw times, and he kicks us all silly in PAX times.
i know eric well - i had a spec v before my ITR, and we spoke a number of times about driving/setup.  anxious to see how i stack up against him in lincoln next year, now that we're both in the same car!
at least this time around, the GXP is only a slight underdog, course dependent, against the S2K CR's and C4 vettes (well, when mchugh is running it anyway).  my friend alan dahl up here in the northwest has shown me that the car can be competitive on any given day, time and again.  whereas the spec v was hopelessly outclassed against the minis, which made eric's driving even more incredible!!
'05 Lotus Elise || SS/42

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 06:48:38 PM »
Welcome!  Plenty of autocrossers - serious and just for fun folks - here! 

I did not notice a tune in your list.  Without one, you are right - the ECM will learn down that power you gained from the Solo exhaust.
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »

Welcome 
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 11:26:29 PM »
Welcome!  Plenty of autocrossers - serious and just for fun folks - here! 

I did not notice a tune in your list.  Without one, you are right - the ECM will learn down that power you gained from the Solo exhaust.

Yep, sadly you're not going to see much in terms of power since a tune isn't AS legal. Still, it should be a weight savings.

And Welcome! Always good to see another autocrosser join.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline boardkat

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 11:42:43 PM »
Yep, sadly you're not going to see much in terms of power since a tune isn't AS legal. Still, it should be a weight savings.

And Welcome! Always good to see another autocrosser join.
yeah, i was aware of this issue before i bought the system - it was purchased mainly to allow for a seamless hitch installation.  and i didn't want to cut the stock unit under the car and have nothing to fill out the exhaust tip slots in the rear fascia. 
'05 Lotus Elise || SS/42

Offline DrJones

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 03:02:39 PM »
yeah, i was aware of this issue before i bought the system - it was purchased mainly to allow for a seamless hitch installation.  and i didn't want to cut the stock unit under the car and have nothing to fill out the exhaust tip slots in the rear fascia.  

Do you have a hitch and trailer yet?
I've got both i'm going to sell. the trailer can hold 4 315/30R18 Hoosier A6's on 11" wide rims. and has a Cargo box on it.
The hitch alread has been "adjusted" to fit the solo performance exhaust.

Although it would be a bit tough to get it to Oregon :/
2007 - GXP - White
F-Prepared - Crazy Monkey Racing
Westers Garage/Norms Fiberglass/AVON TYRES

Offline boardkat

• Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 04:39:49 PM »
Do you have a hitch and trailer yet?
I've got both i'm going to sell. the trailer can hold 4 315/30R18 Hoosier A6's on 11" wide rims. and has a Cargo box on it.
The hitch alread has been "adjusted" to fit the solo performance exhaust.

Although it would be a bit tough to get it to Oregon :/
if i could find a trailer, and save myself the hassle of building one, it would be a huge coup!!
but yeah, i'm in oregon, and i'm guessing you aren't on this side of the country, eh? :(
as for the hitch, alan is selling me the curt 11119 that bolts right up without modification, so i'm good to go in that respect.
'05 Lotus Elise || SS/42

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 05:23:08 PM »
if i could find a trailer, and save myself the hassle of building one, it would be a huge coup!!
but yeah, i'm in oregon, and i'm guessing you aren't on this side of the country, eh? :(
as for the hitch, alan is selling me the curt 11119 that bolts right up without modification, so i'm good to go in that respect.

As much as I do not like them, Harbor Freight is your solution. I bought one of there 4' utility trailer just like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90153 . I used a piece of marine grade 3/4" plywood for the floor, and then bolted a 40" wide plastic lockable box on it for "stuff" (air tank, jack, box of tools, etc.). Note that it has 12" wheels. The tail lights SUCK so I replaced them with real nice LED type from a trailer supplier. Now they offer THIS http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2575 which is about 100 pounds heavier, but that piece of plywood on mine is almost as heavy as the difference. It tows great, and the Sky barely know it's there, except with the tools and tires it "costs" about 3-4 mpg on a stock tune and about 5-6 mpg on a tune (both at about 70mph). HTH.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline boardkat

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 05:29:18 PM »
As much as I do not like them, Harbor Freight is your solution. I bought one of there 4' utility trailer just like this http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90153 . I used a piece of marine grade 3/4" plywood for the floor, and then bolted a 40" wide plastic lockable box on it for "stuff" (air tank, jack, box of tools, etc.). Note that it has 12" wheels. The tail lights SUCK so I replaced them with real nice LED type from a trailer supplier. Now they offer THIS http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2575 which is about 100 pounds heavier, but that piece of plywood on mine is almost as heavy as the difference. It tows great, and the Sky barely know it's there, except with the tools and tires it "costs" about 3-4 mpg on a stock tune and about 5-6 mpg on a tune (both at about 70mph). HTH.
oh wow, had no idea that they had a semi-finished solution with a floor, was only familiar with the one you modified.  that might be a great pickup, thanks for heads up!!
'05 Lotus Elise || SS/42

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 05:59:49 PM »
Just plan on new tail lights (they are just world class GARBAGE) and new grease fittings on the wheels. There MAY be a spare tire bracket included, so check. I bought a spare wheel/tire assembly when I bought my trailer. The latest trickery is moving the spare from the tongue to the back rail (sort of a bumper!!) and installed a cheap tongue jack with a wheel. Now it sits on three wheel when not hooked up.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing