Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Dirt, Dust, And Grass In Trunk  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Charlie W

• Master Tech
Dirt, Dust, And Grass In Trunk
« on: November 10, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »
Today is the 1st anniversary of the last day I worked. I went on short and then long term disability on 11-11-08 to begin my battle with cancer. After 6 weeks of radiation and chemo, two operations, then 8 more rounds of chemo my Doctor says there is no reason I can't live out a normal life. I applied for Social Security in August and went on Medicare in October.
I had a lot of time to work on my car this summer. After 22,000 miles and almost 3 years it was getting a little dirt and dust under the hood and in the trunk. I started cleaning every little nook and crannie. At one point I even washed and waxed the inside of the wheel wells. Buy the time I was done it looked better than when it came out of the show room.
Now the problem. On one of our OKISS Sunday runs on county roads in Kentucky we encountered a lot of dried mowed grass and dust. When we got home and put the top up there was grass and dust all over the top and in the trunk. I found it was coming in through a big hole behind the liciense plate light. I used duct tape to close up the hole and went on two more runs, one of which had more mowed grass, and it solved the problem. This weekend I made a cover out of .025 thick aluminum, that mounts on the light, allows the light to shine through, and closes up the hole. Can't have duct tape on a GXP.
Aggressive,5-speed Manual. Mods: Westers Race Tune, K&N Drop In Filter, Dejon SS BOV Spring, JPM Visor Covers, 3M Clear Bra, GM Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Silver Painted Calipers W/Red GXP Letters, Red Arrow Decals, JPM Stitched Console, Silver Painted Rotors, Mirror Polished Stainless Engine Cover, Fuse Box Cover and Visor Mirrors, DIY Tunnel Brace, Dual Horns, DDM Pro-Beam.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Dirt, Dust, And Grass In Trunk
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:44:49 PM »
Where the hood meets the fender, place a foam rubber seal on the edges of the fender well.  That will seal up the gap and prevent durt from slinging off the tires under the hood

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:50:59 AM »
Charlie W, as far as the dust in the engine bay, you should take a look at mine...then you would believe yours is cleaner than clean... :gaah:
about the trunk, yeah you should fix that the way DeepBlueGXP says...
enjoy your kappa, your retirement and i truly hope that you feel better, stronger and healthier each and every day!!
i am sure your kappa is your best buddy to achieve this  ;)
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
Just one problem with what you did Charlie, the hole you covered by the lincense plate is the drain for the lip around the trunk.  You know the big pan in the back catches all the water that runs around the side channels back into that tray.  In the back is an s shaped channel that ends at the hole above the license plate.  As long as you never wash the car or drive in the rain you will be fine, but if you do either of the above you might want to rethink covering that hole.

GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Charlie W

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:21:17 PM »
Just one problem with what you did Charlie, the hole you covered by the lincense plate is the drain for the lip around the trunk.  You know the big pan in the back catches all the water that runs around the side channels back into that tray.  In the back is an s shaped channel that ends at the hole above the license plate.  As long as you never wash the car or drive in the rain you will be fine, but if you do either of the above you might want to rethink covering that hole.

After I read your post I pulled the light back out. On my car there is 1/2 an inch between the edge of the tray and the hole. Any water that runs off the tray will go on to the back of the valance then on the road.
Aggressive,5-speed Manual. Mods: Westers Race Tune, K&N Drop In Filter, Dejon SS BOV Spring, JPM Visor Covers, 3M Clear Bra, GM Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Silver Painted Calipers W/Red GXP Letters, Red Arrow Decals, JPM Stitched Console, Silver Painted Rotors, Mirror Polished Stainless Engine Cover, Fuse Box Cover and Visor Mirrors, DIY Tunnel Brace, Dual Horns, DDM Pro-Beam.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 09:47:03 PM »
Charlie can I kindly ask you take some pictures?
After reading your post I have discovered I have problems with the water in the trunk. Because I barely open my trunk I didn't noticed I have a wet carpet in the trunk.
I don't know yet if it is because of the drain or other things.
I did some research but I'm not sure where is the drain spot of the water, are those 2 small square holes next to the license plate lights?

P.S. I was suspected of cancer at 23 years, but turned out to be just a non cancerous tumor. I don't want to remember that period between I have discovered I have a tumor and until I found out it isn't actually a cancerous one, all that period I was diagnosed as cancer tumor. I don't want to think how you felt when you find out your problem, it's awesome to hear what your doctor said, I wish you all good well and to live many happy and long years next to your kappa and to post many nice post like you did until now. You should be one of ours Kings of Clean  :cheers:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:52:33 PM by Kelu »
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Charlie W

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:48:04 PM »
Go here and take a look at another and better way to solve the dirt and dust problem.
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/dirt-dust-grass-trunk-60436/#post907654

I don't know if the drains are in the same place on an Opel GT. I don't have any square holes by my light.

Offline Charlie W

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »

I took some measurments just to make sure that I was right about the relationship of the drain pan and the hole I closed up. I am not much of an artist but here is what I came up with. The lip is actually 1.5 inches below the hole.