Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Uh-Oh 2.0  (Read 5159 times)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Uh-Oh 2.0
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2009, 04:18:25 PM »
It's more about predictability than anything else. A properly tuned setup and the backbone/probeam can't hurt. Besides, like the cops pointed out I spun over gravel, so the best suspension in the world wouldn't help there.

One of my friends pointed out that if I had just kept the throttle open and drifted through the corner things might have gone better.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060
2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 HEMI
1998 Ford Mustang - Getting a transplant as soon as something major breaks

Offline Kenny

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »
backbone will let the car handle the power. once i got mine on, the car got pretty boring to drive. there was no challenge to keeping it straight anymore :)

power is only a problem if you use it at the wrong time.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

lil goat

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 09:15:21 AM »
The heatsoak issue is because when you compress air it gets hot, doesn't have much to do with the engine bay temp per say, air flow across the intercooler yes. There was a huge fan in front of the car, maybe 5 foot diameter and it was on high. Heatsoak occurs because the intercooler can not remove the heat from the tubo, the stock intercoller is a tube and fin design, the cheapest and least effective design for an intercooler. It is also fairly small. Being small has an advantage in that there is less pressure drop (loss of boost) but it has less heat sink ability as well, so the charge is not cooled as well. Intercooler design is not easy, you want the pressure drop to be low and cooling to be good. The best intercooler for racing might be a poor choice for daily driving, it's a balancing act. That is why many race teams use fans or external cooling, some have NOS spray on the intercooler while the car is running to cool the intercooler. Remember that GM engineers design great stuff then the bean counters screw it up by trying to make it cheaper than what the engineers want. Our intercooler is a product of economics, not science.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »
The heatsoak issue is because when you compress air it gets hot, doesn't have much to do with the engine bay temp per say, air flow across the intercooler yes. There was a huge fan in front of the car, maybe 5 foot diameter and it was on high. Heatsoak occurs because the intercooler can not remove the heat from the tubo, the stock intercoller is a tube and fin design, the cheapest and least effective design for an intercooler. It is also fairly small. Being small has an advantage in that there is less pressure drop (loss of boost) but it has less heat sink ability as well, so the charge is not cooled as well. Intercooler design is not easy, you want the pressure drop to be low and cooling to be good. The best intercooler for racing might be a poor choice for daily driving, it's a balancing act. That is why many race teams use fans or external cooling, some have NOS spray on the intercooler while the car is running to cool the intercooler. Remember that GM engineers design great stuff then the bean counters screw it up by trying to make it cheaper than what the engineers want. Our intercooler is a product of economics, not science.

Up until the last two sentences, this was a very good technical response. The first and last conclusions of the next to last sentence are baseless. The fuel tank design and location (lousy design and location that the bean counters COULDN'T make worse) is one example and the engine (the Ecotec is fantastic and who can show what the bean counters mucked with there) is another. The intercooler is fine for the car as it was designed. GM did not build a platform to hot hod, and never has. They build cars that CAN be modified and what happens there is nothing that they should worry about. This is like buying a truck and complaining that it sits too high!!   :violin:
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

lil goat

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 01:01:08 PM »
 The engine was certainly effected by the bean counters make it strong so we don't have to do warranty repairs, use it in multiple platforms. My comments are a matter of opinion and so are yours Bob, neither of us can prove our points of view. The intercooler is a very cheap shortcut to what have could have been done for not a lot more money.I was speaking to a singular issue. One of the primary goals when designing the Solstice was to make it inexpensive and affordable, had it not been it would have been a Corvette.

Offline Kenny

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2009, 01:10:26 PM »
I'm really pissed that the beancounters said to make the engine so strong so it wouldn't break. :)
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Mac

• Master Tech
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2009, 01:11:31 PM »
short cut in the motor: they forgot/not needed? to use forged pistons.  Even GM says if you are going over 300Hp REPLACE pistons. I think we know why the GMPP tune then is 290HP, just under the line. So all the guys350- 400 +RWhP i wonder how long before "Huston we have trouble". Then i wonder of those how many will try to say its GMs fault?  lol

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2009, 01:35:58 PM »
The heatsoak issue is because when you compress air it gets hot

Yes and it gets just as hot the first run as the 5th under the same conditions.  The air intake system is an open system and so does not accumulate heat.  A heat accumulation issue lies elsewhere.
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!