Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Wet Ankle While Driving  (Read 4582 times)

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
Wet Ankle While Driving
« on: February 25, 2010, 08:13:44 PM »
(Joe, if I didn't put this in the right place please move it for me)

I have never seen this posted anywhere before so I am posting now in hopes that I will get some kind of technical feedback. And you guys are the Kappa Techies (I mean that in the nicest way possible  :) )

I never drive my car in the rain (Saturn Sky R/L). However, today I was bringing it home from the Saturn Service Center (now a Mitsubishi dealer, used to be a Saturn Dealership) and I went through a large puddle of water (lots of rain here today) and I felt something drip on the top of my leg (ankle area). I thought it was a little weird, then when I hit the next large puddle it happened again, only this time there was a little more water, almost a splash. By the time I got home my sock and my pant leg were soaked. I immediately called Reedred to see if he ever heard of such a thing happening and he told me "That's not f'in right".

I called the dealer, they told me to bring it in immediately. They checked it out and said something is definitely wrong but they're not sure where it's coming from. They said it will take a couple of days to try and track down. I brought the car home as I have a Kappa run in Philly planned for Sunday.

My opinion is that the water is coming in somewhere near the brake pedal. Do any of you have any ideas as to what it could be?

I drop the car off again Tuesday AM and would like to be empowered with a little knowledge as to what it can and can't be. Any suggestions?

Any help/feedback is appreciated.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Wet Ankle While Driving
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
Go to the bathroom before you get into the car!

I believe there is a wire bundle pass through right there, the sealing around it might be linking
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
Wonder if it could be the windshield washer fluid hose came off or has a hole in it. If so could be running down the wires that way. worth checking out. Pump can be defective letting it pass the water all the time.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 04:42:30 AM »
First off, knowing you, you were probably just a little excited (aroused) from driving and making a big splash!

That being said, Open the hood, look down at the firewall.  There should be some wires/cables running down behind a piece of metal flashing (sound deadener).  As Critter said, where they pass through is inbetween the deadener and the firewall.  There is a rubber plug that surrounds them and protects them from rubbing against the edge of the hole in the firewall.

You can shine a light at either side of the plug (interior or engine compartment) and check for light leaking through on the other side.  It may have become dislodged for whatever reason.  If it is, just wiggle it back in place and you should be done. 

If all else fails, try putting the top UP while driving in the rain! 

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:45:10 AM »
Go to the bathroom before you get into the car!

Thanks Critter, that's what the empty Gatorade bottle is for!

First off, knowing you, you were probably just a little excited (aroused) from driving and making a big splash!

Oh man! I have SOME reputation. My Mom was right, I should start behaving like a lady!

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I will check this out before bringing it back to "Mitsubishi"!

Offline BigSal

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 11:18:00 AM »
SkyhighNY,

It's still snowing here and supposed to go all day! Are you still planning the run for Sunday?
Performance Mods
Westers Tune v5.2
DDMWorks Extreme BackBone
DDMWorks Charge Tubes
kappaSPRINGS by Eibach
Dejon Cold Air Intake
DeJon BOV Spring
Solo High Flow Cat
Solo Mach Shorty Cat Back

Show Mods
lil' Chromies
Lambo Doors
JPM Leather Center Console
JPM Sown Seatbelt Loops
DeepBlueGXP Front Light mod
Debadged except for
WG Badge Added (Westers Garage)

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »
It's still snowing here and supposed to go all day! Are you still planning the run for Sunday?

We have similar weather here. It's kind of up in the air. We are thinking about taking our winter vehicles instead, going to make the final call tomorrow evening. I will post either way as soon as we make a decision.

Offline BigSal

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »
It just started snowing again here. If that helps. Supposed to be light snow on and off for the duration of the day.  The roads were clear but below 32 temps are letting the snow stick quickly
 :sorry:
Performance Mods
Westers Tune v5.2
DDMWorks Extreme BackBone
DDMWorks Charge Tubes
kappaSPRINGS by Eibach
Dejon Cold Air Intake
DeJon BOV Spring
Solo High Flow Cat
Solo Mach Shorty Cat Back

Show Mods
lil' Chromies
Lambo Doors
JPM Leather Center Console
JPM Sown Seatbelt Loops
DeepBlueGXP Front Light mod
Debadged except for
WG Badge Added (Westers Garage)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 09:41:24 AM »
SkyhighNY,

The car cannot handle large/deep puddles.  If you notice the jackpoints under the car are large holes and if you pull off your door sill, there are alot of slots that actually pass through.  Driving through a large puddle fast jets water into the holes and onto your floor board.  Now you mentioned it dripping, that could be a totally different area.  Have you installed/modified any lighting or aftermarket stuff that would go through the firewall?

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 07:15:23 PM »
It just started snowing again here. If that helps. Supposed to be light snow on and off for the duration of the day.  The roads were clear but below 32 temps are letting the snow stick quickly
 :sorry:

Thanks Sal, we decided to cancel/postpone it. I wasn't crazy about driving 3 hrs. in unpredictable weather conditions. We will reschedule when the weather gets nicer.  Hopefully we'll catch up soon!

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 07:18:32 PM »
SkyhighNY,

The car cannot handle large/deep puddles.  If you notice the jackpoints under the car are large holes and if you pull off your door sill, there are alot of slots that actually pass through.  Driving through a large puddle fast jets water into the holes and onto your floor board.  Now you mentioned it dripping, that could be a totally different area.  Have you installed/modified any lighting or aftermarket stuff that would go through the firewall?

Joe, I was thinking about the gap in the door but if it was from that side it would have hit my left leg/ankle. It didn't it hit my right ankle which I usually leave placed somewhere in between the brake and gas pedals.

The only mod I have on my car is the one you did... the blinker mod! :)  Well maybe I also have a stubby antenna and wind restrictor, but nothing else.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
Have you had your windshield replaced?

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 05:14:33 PM »
Have you had your windshield replaced?

Nope

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 07:21:00 PM »
SkyhighNY : When you pulled out of garage did you use the windshield washer? If your not sure try it aand see if you get Water inside.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2010, 01:41:40 PM »
No, it was definitely from the puddles. I was driving along and everything was fine. It was only when I hit a large puddle and you can hear the water splashing all up inside the wheel well that I felt the water. The rest of the time, although the wipers were on and the roads were wet, it was fine.

I kind of tested it because the first time it happened I thought I was imagining it, the second time it happened I knew it wasn't my imagination and something was up so I avoided the puddles. The third time (when I was almost home) I intentionally drove through the puddle just to make sure I wasn't crazy.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »
I intentionally drove through the puddle just to make sure I wasn't crazy.

And how did that work for you?  :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Online Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 04:35:44 PM »
Patient: Hey doc, it hurts when I do this.

Doc: Then don't do that.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060
2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 HEMI
1998 Ford Mustang - Getting a transplant as soon as something major breaks

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »
The third time (when I was almost home) I intentionally drove through the puddle just to make sure I wasn't crazy.
Heh, further to Critter's comment, I though the definition of insanity was "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
 :lol:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline SHiNY

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 06:41:12 PM »
Heh, further to Critter's comment, I though the definition of insanity was "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".
 :lol:

Oh, I already know I'm insane!

I dropped her off this morning and they called back a little while ago. It appears that there is a seam underneath the car near the firewall that was not sealed properly. They have fixed it and are letting her sit overnight. Should have her back sometime tomorrow. YAY!

Thanks for the help and thoughts everbody!

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 06:45:02 PM »
Definitely it's time for more puddles  :lol:
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!