Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Went in for warranty work, 50-50 success rate (plus Wheel Liner question)  (Read 3952 times)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Took my car back in to King-GMC in Gaithersburg this morning to get some parts replaced under warranty (I had it in last month where they ordered them).  Not a great deal of success.  This is what I had to have done, and the results in italics:

- Replace Sill trim plate (Passenger side - aluminum strip came unstuck)) - replaced OK!
- Cracked wheel wells replaced -- replaced but using same screws, not clips/pins per TSB
- Free Oil Change -- (apparently) changed OK, but oil life not reset, and level is higher than max on dipstick
- Missing weatherstrip on passenger door -- part not found in stock, reordered
- +ve cable terminal cover missing (underhood fuse box) -- part not found in stock, reordered

I also asked them to check the handbrake adjustment.  It comes way up and needs some real umph to lock the wheels on a hill...  No fault found.  Guess I'll be fixing that myself.

Anyway, rather than go back about the wheel liner clips, I was going to try to get something suitable at Pep Boys.  Anyone out there who's had this done correctly, could you please take a photo of the inside and outside of the top clip/push pin and post it, so I can see what I need to match?  Thanks!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
My dealer's tech gave me a few extra of the fasteners for the fender liners so here are a few pic of them.
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

The splined part is about .75 inches long .30 in diameter
The head is .7 in diam
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
My dealer's tech gave me a few extra of the fasteners for the fender liners so here are a few pic of them.

The splined part is about .75 inches long .30 in diameter
The head is .7 in diam
That's beautiful!  Thanks you Soooo much!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Happy day - I just found I had a pack almost exactly that size!  Woo Hoo.

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
If you don't mind driving a little bit, Fox Chevy in Laurel will do you much better.
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
If you don't mind driving a little bit, Fox Chevy in Laurel will do you much better.
Yeah, I've heard that, but it's 45mins away.  However, I'm beginning to think that may be the way to go, certainly for more complicated issues.

Back to the wheel liner clips, I put them in last night and all seems OK.  I checked online places for the actual part number and they're charging around $2+ each for those push-pins!  The pack I'd got from Pep Boys was about $2 for a box of 12!  (I'd originally got them for replacing the broken ones in my seat covers when I put in my seat-heaters.)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
With your center console off, you can adjust the e-brake with a 10mm ratchet rench.  Adjust in when the handle is in the down position.  Then pull up and check, repeat until you have it the way you like.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
With your center console off, you can adjust the e-brake with a 10mm ratchet rench.  Adjust in when the handle is in the down position.  Then pull up and check, repeat until you have it the way you like.
Yes, thanks Joe, but I'm wondering if the rear calipers are not adjusting properly and/or are partially seized, my car sat on the dealer showroom/lot for nearly 2 years before I bought it.  I'm gonna get into the rears and turn the pistons all the way in and start from there first I think.  Or do you think that's not worth it?

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
It's worth it but you have to pump them out once until you hear a click to get the e-brake to work, before you place them back over the rotor.  My adjuster is all the way to the bottom of the bolt so I have to back mine off and do the same as you are to the rear brakes.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
TS - very worth it.  when we replaced my rear pads we missed one of the connections in the rear for the emergency brake it didn't engage.  you could push my car with the brake on.  Re-did them and it is about halfway up and will hold on any hill I have been on.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline timlange3

• Master Tech
I too had my hand brake adjusted.  I bought my 2007 GXP two weeks ago with 26,000 miles on it and
the hand brake would not hold, barely engaged.  I took it to the local dealer and they checked the
pads, which were fine, and adjusted the brake at the console.  It works fine now.

Tim.
Tim.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
It's worth it but you have to pump them out once until you hear a click to get the e-brake to work, before you place them back over the rotor. 
Oh wow, hadn't heard about that before.  Thanks!  Will do.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
The step Joe listed is the one we missed replacing my pads :(
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
I have had the gxp for 3 years now and the parking brake has never been right. If you search there is a post I made I think last year of the car rolling into a fench. All they did was adjust it. I can pull the brake handle almost all the way up.
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
I have had the gxp for 3 years now and the parking brake has never been right. If you search there is a post I made I think last year of the car rolling into a fench. All they did was adjust it. I can pull the brake handle almost all the way up.
Well, if my attempt is successful, maybe we can tackle yours at MMM7.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Well, if my attempt is successful, maybe we can tackle yours at MMM7.

I would say it's a must. Can't have IBD rolling in to any more fenches.  They are endangered and are only found locally near his house.  The fenches must be saved!

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
I would say it's a must. Can't have IBD rolling in to any more fenches.  They are endangered and are only found locally near his house.  The fenches must be saved!

GJ

If Moby knows only one thing about me he will know I say screw the Fench!
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
OK, so got into my rear calipers today... started badly when I found the caliper slider bolts are 7mm Allen heads.  Lots of Allen key sets, not a 7mm among them!  So a quick trip to Harbor Freight got me a $7 metric allen socket set and I was set.  Anyway, long story short, the pistons went in fine, no binding or corrosion, but after all was said and done, the full retraction had no effect.  While I was in there though I decided to take off the rotors and paint the top hats... but that's a different story.

Bottom line, went back to the handbrake lever and adjusted the cable there.  Tightened it up fine and got my handbrake working to where it'll hold me on a hill. :woohoo:

Ah well, at least I know the calipers are in good condition.