Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Limp mode strikes....*Problem Found-Wastegate Died* (Well...maybe not...)  (Read 35884 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Hope they figure out what is going on.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Got car back, still having the exact same problem. Back into the shop it goes...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Damn, did they do anything???

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Man this starts to be frustrating, hang on buddy
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Replaced the MAF. I was pretty sure that wasn't the problem, and I was right lol.

Gotta be something electrical though. Bluetooth has been on the fritz from time to time as well. Today I could hear a high-pitched noise that rises and falls with engine RPM while talking on the phone with bluetooth. Weird thing is, that's the on-star circuit, I've never even touched that. Has to be something electrical. Maybe when they were working on the turbo something in the fusebox cracked/came loose/unplugged/whatever.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
So what exactly is it still doing? Going into limp mode during boost?

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Not limp mode exactly, that's just what I thought it was. It's throwing mad p0101 codes, which disables computer boost control and opens the waste gate up. It's also throwing a code for running rich, I can look the exact code up in the morning.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
Have you done a boost leak test? Checked all the hoses/clamps/vacuum lines?

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Yes, I've checked all connections, several times in fact. It is possible that my intercooler has developed a leak, though that won't explain these weird electrical goings-on.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
U238,

I am still fighting the P0101 code myself.  I have checked and rechecked all the clamps and keep looking at my intercooler for issues.  My problem is intermitent.  I can drive hard for a while with no issues, then all of a sudden when I let off after a hard push, poof.  Limp mode, sort of.  I will be in limp mode, then if I let off the gas and then go back on it, it runs normal!  Very strange...  I keep thinking it's a leak in a pipe somewhere as I can't find any other reason.  I am at a loss for now.  I just keep erasing the code and tracking the circumstances as best I can to see if I can find a pattern.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Mine has never come back to "normal" that fast. Take today's drive into work. Twenty minute drive into work, no boost for the first 15 minutes, then, hey! everything started working fine. A few minutes later, back to not more than 3 psi of boost and no power.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
when i was having my tune issues it would not give me mroe tha 3psi without any codes or "reduced engine power"
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
ok, that s a long shot, but it is worth checking since for this issue you guys have checked almost everything.
can you check the (this is the difficult part, i will translate from Greek and it will probably need your expertise to understand) boost controller N75. is it broken?
it is quite common fot it to brake if somebody does some job in the engine bay and accidentaly push it a little bit.
it probably is BS, but worth checking to eliminate this possibility too
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Bummer. We need to move that black cloud over your head.

I am sure it something they did. You went in with one turbo problem and came out with a different problem. Have looked around to see that all hoses and wires are hooked back up well?  Also try reseating you engine related fuses
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
I've done both. Nothing looks abnormal, reseating the fuses didn't do anything.

I'm convinced the service techs just don't have a clue. They just follow whatever the procedure is, with no real troubleshooting.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
Is  there a different place you can take it?

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Yeah, but there's no garuntees they would be any better. Plus, at least this shop has been working on this car from the start, they have should have a good idea about what hasn't fixed it yet.

At the dealer right now, waiting on my rental. Hey are treating me really well here at least, however competent the techs are b
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Mine has never come back to "normal" that fast. Take today's drive into work. Twenty minute drive into work, no boost for the first 15 minutes, then, hey! everything started working fine. A few minutes later, back to not more than 3 psi of boost and no power.

U-238,

That is exactly the opposite of my issue.  I loose boost for a short time and then it comes back.

Kenny,

I think you are describing it better.  I don't think my "engine" ever loses power, just loses boost.  It won't boost past 3-5, which in turn kills power.

U-238,

I know the car is frustrating, but there is something to be said for a company / dealership that takes good care of you while they know there techs are frustrated.  Many of us hope that your patience hold out and you find a fix for this as it may lead us to the light as well!  I will send you some of my patience for the next few days.  I don't mind having a short fuse once in a while if it means helping you out  :)

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Thanks man. Having a rental means I'm feeling much better. Honestly though, it's not just patience I'm running short of. I've burnt through a good chunk of my leave reserves, much more and I'll have to start cutting into my hunting plans for the fall.

The fact that this is all happening while things are crazy busy at work isn't helping either. The people I work for are cool, but I can tell they're getting tired of me having to leave work at odd times all the time.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
Yes, I've checked all connections, several times in fact. It is possible that my intercooler has developed a leak

Its possible, but you won't know that until you pressure test the all of the intercooler piping. Not sure about the electrical issues, possibly battery/alternator related?

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Who knows. I replaced the battery myself, way back at the start of this mess. I'm fed up with trying to troubleshoot it, since I don't have the tools to properly do so. A real scan tool is a must for what's going on here. With one, I could figure out if it's the ECM, MAF (well it's not the MAF) a leak or possibly something else.

The dealer has a real scan tool, hopefully they'll use it this time.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
...and you want put a V8 in?  :)

Welcome to mod hell!
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Actually a V8 swap would likely solve all my problems, and is on the list of things I may have to resort to.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Well, I think I can call the car fixed. Dealer replaced the entire charge air cooler system, IC, charge tubes, hoses, the works. Tech said that the IC was ballooned, (we knew that already) and that there was something wrong with my charge pipes. Didn't really understand what exactly, he said something was loose. Thankfully he re-used the DDM clamps when he replaced the tubing that connects to the throttlebody.

Oh, and I burnt down a Challenger R/T on the way home...that felt really good.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
So you got it home and no more issues?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!