Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Lost my radio display...  (Read 4783 times)

Offline Vanguard

• Master Tech
Lost my radio display...
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »
About a month ago, I started up the Sky and my radio display was completely dark.  All of a sudden after driving for a few minutes, it popped on.  Wierd...

Fast forward to these last couple weeks.  About 1 in 3 starts would have no radio display.  Now, it's completely dead. 

I'm hoping its just a fuse, but who knows.  Anyone have this problem?  What are some of the things I should look into?

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
Re: Lost my radio display...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »
My radio started showing hieroglyphics on the display. I took it in and luckily I got a brand new one under warranty.

If you are still under warranty, take it in and have them put a new one in.

The new one they installed was better than the one that came with my Solstice originally.

Good luck getting it fixed. Let us know the result.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 12:25:29 PM »
Fast forward to these last couple weeks.  About 1 in 3 starts would have no radio display.  Now, it's completely dead. 

I'm hoping its just a fuse, but who knows.  Anyone have this problem?  What are some of the things I should look into?
Does the radio still work?  (I.e. do the buttons still control station selection, volume, etc?)  If so, then it's not a fuse as the lights don't have a separate one.  Plus if it came and went, not likely to be a fuse anyway.  Sounds more like either a bad solder joint or internal connector.  You could try banging on it :)

As Susan said, if you are still under warranty, take it in to the dealer (while it's not working ;) )
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 03:42:33 PM »
I'm not sure but I think the dash light control also controls the radio display.  See if it was turned down when cleaning.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 04:22:25 PM »
I'm not sure but I think the dash light control also controls the radio display.  See if it was turned down when cleaning.
Oh, good point!
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Vanguard

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »
What sucks is that just barely passed 36,000 :(

I checked the dimmer and that's not the culprit.  I remember that if you dim it all the way down, you can see the faintest little dot matrix over the entire panel...but that is gone.  Its almost like it has just lost power to the display. 

I guess I just need to start looking for a how-to on how to get in there and check out the connectors...

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 06:57:20 PM »
I think there are quite a few radios avaiable cheap.  I know I left one at joes.
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline Vanguard

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2010, 08:58:02 PM »
On the way home, I tapped on the display a few times and it came back on.  So I'm guessing a loose connection...

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »
On the way home, I tapped on the display a few times and it came back on.  So I'm guessing a loose connection...
Bazinga!

Some info here may be of use...
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/migrated-my-old-solstice-radio-faceplate-my-new-sky-usb-radio-62652/

Offline Vanguard

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 11:46:46 PM »
Im not too up-to-date on the 09 radios...are they plug-and-play in 08s? 

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 06:24:14 AM »
Spiky is having the same issue, has been happening for a while now. It's not the dimming switch.  He's looking into replacing the radio as it's out of warranty, but maybe the above will help him.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 08:50:22 AM »
Mine has been doing the same thing...it works fine but there is no display most of the time.  I am trying to figure out what's going on.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 08:52:10 AM »
perhaps your eyes are going blind from your inappropriate relationship with that goat in the other pictures?
Make the right choices now

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 09:31:14 AM »
Thats very possible...I dont know what I was thinking LOL.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 12:59:58 PM »
Im not too up-to-date on the 09 radios...are they plug-and-play in 08s?  
If you mean the '09 USB radios, then yes they are if you have Monsoon.  If you don't have Monsoon (as I didn't) you have to add amplification or the volume will be too low.

The other radios all work too (presupposing Monsoon to Monsoon, or non-Monsoon to non-Monsoon).  Even Sky to Solstice and vice-versa.

Offline tazzman

• Master Tech
  • with new paint
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 01:15:48 PM »
Having the same issue on my sol, but it also includes the dash display. Thinking its in the ignition switch? waiting for it to go altogether. Loose wire mabe. Probably the only way the dealer will figure it out is when it does go. :kwh:
King Penn, W.R.
ASAP Fuse box cover
ASAP Fog light cover
ASAP BU light cover
Debaged
Shorty antenna
Magnaflow catback 3''
New Paint

Offline Vanguard

• Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 08:39:51 PM »
Well that's good to know.  I have the Monsoon system, so it sounds like it would work. 

Quick stupid question...is the USB on the outside of the deck to where I can plug in a stick and play music?  And does the 2009 deck retain the aux jack?

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2010, 09:16:54 PM »
Quick stupid question...is the USB on the outside of the deck to where I can plug in a stick and play music?  And does the 2009 deck retain the aux jack?
Yes and yes.  I re-routed my USB socket out the back however, so I could leave the USB drive plugged in out of sight.  See:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/usb-radio-usb-port-relocation-62320/

(as well as my own: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/migrated-my-old-solstice-radio-faceplate-my-new-sky-usb-radio-62652/ )

Offline Vanguard

• Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2010, 02:09:20 AM »
Neato.  Does it have the same connectors as the 08?  And does anyone have a p/n for it?

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2010, 08:58:04 PM »
Mine has been doing the same thing...it works fine but there is no display most of the time.  I am trying to figure out what's going on.
Take a look over here volleyball-man... loose connections in the dimmer control?: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f61/migrated-my-old-solstice-radio-faceplate-my-new-sky-usb-radio-62652/index2.html#post994733