Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Went Solo and now F$%#ed  (Read 25264 times)

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
Re: Went Solo and now F$%#ed
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2011, 03:29:18 PM »
This is concerning. I've got the Solo Down pipe and RCD for almost 25,000 miles. The only thing I notice (so far) is that I get a lot more black sut than I like. No other exhaust issues though. I'm no gear head but the basics dont add up here. exhaust is simply a process of tubes, filters and sensors. It seems that something is getting heated up and burned; producing smoke. I would think to remove the system and start from scratch; working my way back from the Turbo.

All. Is there anything that can be run threw the motor that would change color if it runs into oil that shouldn't be there? Just asking (hmmmm, maybe something to develop here) :huh:

The black "soot" is "normal". ALL of the LNF engines (and most direct injection engines) do this. As for preventing a failure, the only this is correct oil, HIGH quality filter (OEM or WIX), and correct mileage intervals. I have 26K miles on my Redline, have a lot of city and highway miles on it, and going into the fifth season of Solo. ZERO oil consumption between 5-6000 mile oil change intervals. HTH.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2011, 04:03:06 PM »
I have been running the Solo hi flow cat and the race exhaust for 40,000 miles and had no issues at all...
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline spartan

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2011, 05:27:27 PM »
I might think about picking up another turbo cheap (stock or otherwise) and slap that puppy on and see what happens.  Save that, get the seals replaced.  Or, maybe a good time for a big wheel upgrade or the like; once they clean it up they can tell you what's wrong with it if anything.  

Like others, I've had no problems for about 10K miles with a SOLO Mach and Hi-flow Cat.  But then, Joe and DDM Dave put it on so I don't expect I'll ever have problems with it.  :drive: 

Seriously, I doubt it is downstream from the turbo, or the result of improper install of same. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:38:24 PM by spartan »

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 06:23:31 PM »
Exactly how much black smoke is coming out?

A) Oil is not the only thing that can cause black smoke. http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5016601_can-sensor-cause-car-smoke.html
B) The exhaust/ O2 sensor fault, although not probable is still possible, should be ruled out.

Normal troubleshooting technique would still indicate changing the exhaust because of the ease of doing so as compared to changing the turbo or associated parts likely at fault, also coupled with the fact that the car STARTED displaying the OPs symptoms after the exhaust was changed. I know there are plenty of SOLO systems running around with no faults, but that doesn't mean it CANNOT be a defect in something that is man made. I know if it was my car that the exhaust would be the first thing I would change in my process of troubleshooting prior to pointing at someone or something else. Remember, we pay to play.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2011, 09:55:12 PM »
Like spicey 3480 said exhaust systems don't smoke. The fact that your exhaust doesn't smoke is not just luck of the draw or someone's ability to install it so it doesn't smoke......The issue is that he would like the dealership to honor his warranty (2009) & diagnose his problem but like most, they want you to take all the extraneous crap off first. Not implying any of it causes the problem, thats what they do! The 2nd O2 on a long bung freaks them out.(Ack!) They tend to have a hard enough time with bone stock cars unfortunately.
Pay to play is something tossed around alot but when it comes someone's turn they usually start singing another tune.

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 11:40:09 PM »
Quick delete the last part & start a new thread before you accidently hijack this one!!! Or not & suffer the consequences,rath, or worse yet-------------wet noodle. If you do I'll tell you how to fix it.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 11:43:45 PM by spider »

Offline Duck1313

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Facebook
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »
EDIT: Jeff spoke with the dealership for you and they noted that they are not blaming the exhaust or cat...GM just wants to stock one on before they will look at it further.  We have no problem going to bat for you.  We have hundreds of these out on cars already and none of these issues.  We kindly ask that you modify the title of this thread in order to not attack the Solo name.  Thanks so much and let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Steve, Jeff, and the Solo Crew 

Problem is the exhaust cost me $112 becuase the diagnostic time was not paid for by GM due to the exhaust is not set up the same way as stock. Location of O2 sensors and use of a spacer are the culprits. In the end it's negating the warranty that I was told would not affect it in any way. Would I have known I would not have wasted the time and $1,000. I was under the impression that this was a tested system by GM and that they had no problems with it. Now it's uncertain if they do find the problem after I change the exhaust back whether it would be covered or not.

If you want to go to bat for me come on over to my house and swap it out for me or have your legal team duke it out with GM. I'm the one with the problem, by myself....Solo.

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2011, 12:14:15 PM »
EXhaust systems do not make smoke,they transport it ! First go simple and pull your sparks plugs, inspect them to see if they are burning the same. Bad spark from one coil or wire? Could also be from bad valve, piston, or as others have suggested a cracked turbo. PCv is possible. It is also possible a rocker arm or lifter has broken . A simple compression test is also in order after you pull the plugs.
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline ASETech67

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2011, 01:25:52 PM »
This is an interesting thread to be sure...Lets start with some basic info...what color is the smoke when it is smoking?  Secondly, has the dealer actually seen the car smoking and agrees that there is some kind of problem, or are they just seeing an aftermarket exhaust and blowing you off because of it??  Having asked those 2 questions,  if it has a Bluish hue to it coming out of the tail pipe, its going to be oil, that means oil consumption of some sort, which means the Exhaust has nothing to do with the smoking issue, its simply a coincidence that it happened around the time the exhaust was installed, keep an eye on your oil level if this is the case till you figure it all out and get it repaired. If it is Black, then it is running rich, which could be a by product of the O2 placement, or another problem with the Air/Fuel mixture...as its been stated before, our cars run rich for several reasons, so the black soot in the Exhaust Tips is normal, some slight exhaust smoke is going to be seen because of this, so again the question is asked, How much smoke are you actually seeing?  Last, but certainly not least, if it is white in color and kinda whispy, most likely its just condensation burn off but you should only see that if the engine has been running for a short period of time (less than 15 minutes) and it goes away... if the engine has been running awhile and you are seeing some white smoke thats more than whispy, thats usually engine coolant related, something internal and serious with the engine is going on thats not good! (head gasket, cracked or warped head etc etc)  Which ever the case may be...I hope this info will help you in some way to figure this problem out, and you can get it fixed and back to happy motoring!! 

2008 Aggressive GXP (VIN 8Y113718)   Premium package, 6 CD Head w/Monsoon Sound, Onstar/XMRadio,  ASAP: Center Brake Light Cover (Turbo),  Beach Party Central: Engine Bay Fusebox Cover,  DDMWorks: Race Backbone, ProBeam, T-bolt Clamps,  Dejon P/H: High Polished Lazer Cut Engine Cover,  GM Parts Direct: GMPP Tune, Standard Splash Guards (Front/Rear),  MBRP: High Polished T-304 IC Charge Pipes, High Polished Lazer Cut Turbo Cover,  WindRestrictor: Version 2 Custom Graphics, Lazer Etched, Red LED Lighting

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »
Duck1313 I sympathize with your problem. But too many of us, myself included, have installed Solo Cats and mufflers and had no problem.  I know advice is easily given, but you should reinstall the stock cat and muffler then see what the GM says. There is no way aftermarket exhaust can harm you car. I personally would have taken the magnusson-moss act to a lawyer and let him handle it.  Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2011, 03:14:54 PM »
Sorry to hear this, Duck. :(

Hope you get it all worked out BEFORE the parade. :)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2011, 03:26:29 PM »
When I was having engine problems, my dealer told me something similar. I had cut the resonator off the front of my airbox. The at the dealer agreed that it likely wasn't the issue, but the first thing that GM would ask when he called them to troubleshoot it was "Is it stock?" Because GM won't go into troubleshooting the car if it isn't stock, only way he was going to work on it was if I brought it back bone stock.

Borrowed a intake box from Jimmybaja, (I still haven't forgotten to return it, it's sitting in the garage ready to go.) brought it back bone stock, dealer figured out what was wrong and I haven't had any issues since. Seems that although dealerships are fine with some mods we can't expect them to troubleshoot our cars with them installed. Perhaps if the tech was skilled enough not to have to call GM for help this wouldn't be necessary.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060
2018 Dodge Charger Daytona 392 HEMI
1998 Ford Mustang - Getting a transplant as soon as something major breaks

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 05:03:29 PM »
Okay I'm going to say something you are not going to like.  No one forced you to change a damn thing on your car.  You did it because you wanted to.  So you are out a 112 bucks because you changed your exhaust.  Quit whinning and suck it up.  Take one of the several offers to help you return your exhaust to stock so the dealer can look at it.  It sounds like he is willing to work with you but you have to make the first move.

And just remember, you could be out the entire cost of the repair.  Plan on it then anything else will be a pleasant suprise.  Sure it sucks and we all feel your pain, especially those of us that have modded our cars.  And in the end if you think you got F%$# by the dealer and GM talk to a lawyer.
2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2011, 06:25:22 PM »
Okay I'm going to say something you are not going to like.  No one forced you to change a damn thing on your car.  You did it because you wanted to.  So you are out a 112 bucks because you changed your exhaust.  Quit whinning and suck it up.  Take one of the several offers to help you return your exhaust to stock so the dealer can look at it.  It sounds like he is willing to work with you but you have to make the first move.

And just remember, you could be out the entire cost of the repair.  Plan on it then anything else will be a pleasant suprise.  Sure it sucks and we all feel your pain, especially those of us that have modded our cars.  And in the end if you think you got F%$# by the dealer and GM talk to a lawyer.

Amen, brother.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2011, 06:37:36 PM »
Paul, I'm really sorry you are going through this but it is one of the reasons why I haven't changed anything on my car. I bought this car with the intention of having a car with a warranty and wanting it to be covered if a problem should occur.  Now that I am passed the 35k mark I'm more willing to change stuff, but reading what you are going through just reminds me why I didn't want to mod stuff in the first place.

Good luck and I hope you get it all worked out.

Offline Duck1313

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2011, 06:46:19 PM »

Well my lawyer is looking into the issue of some information given to me prior to the sale. I do feel I got f^%$ed, but not by GM or the dealer. Yes I'm not out just $112, I could possibly be out thousands. True no one forced me to put the exaust on, have a child or even buy the damn car. I do appreciate the offer of assistance from others and fingers crossed a little extra time and elbow grease will get things fixed. I don't appreciate people saying I sould have known better or that I am whining.

I thought I had done my homework by asking the appropriate questions but not getting it in writing seems to have been where I f&^%ed up.

Susan I will be in the parade, smoke and all.

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2011, 07:25:44 PM »
No comment.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 07:34:16 PM by spider »

Offline Duck1313

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2011, 07:51:44 PM »
You're wasting your time & money going after Solo. Your lawyer will gladly take your money, he wins regardless. Spend your money wisely on anger management. You are the one F$%^^%ing up. Swallow your pride, go back to stock exhaust & get you f^%^&ing car fixed.  Jeez! Thanks for sharing, glad we could help.

Pro bono (cousin) so no waste other than a 12 pack and have him tell me over and over "get it in writing next time". Yes I f&^%ed up as I admitted and thanks for reminding me. Would be funny if the stock exhaust makes the smoke go away. As far as spending my money I should probably save it to replace anything that GM won't cover. Any ideas on what a new turbo, enigne or full exhaust costs?

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
Good luck, I believe Joe said he has a full exhaust except for the tips (round instead of square) and you aren't that far from him.
2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 08:21:09 PM »
Well my lawyer is looking into the issue of some information given to me prior to the sale. I do feel I got f^%$ed, but not by GM or the dealer. Yes I'm not out just $112, I could possibly be out thousands. True no one forced me to put the exaust on, have a child or even buy the damn car. I do appreciate the offer of assistance from others and fingers crossed a little extra time and elbow grease will get things fixed. I don't appreciate people saying I sould have known better or that I am whining.

I thought I had done my homework by asking the appropriate questions but not getting it in writing seems to have been where I f&^%ed up.

Sorry for all your problems, I hope everything works out to the least impact to your wallet!

Yet, the title of your thread does make it sound that Solo, the company and their product(s) are what has caused the oil issue and you to be F$%#ed . Sounds to me like Jeff has gone far beyond what ANY company, that I have ever heard of, along the lines of customer service in trying to help you resolve an issue between you and your dealership as well as find our what is the root of the problem.  One in a Million if you ask me - no, it does not change your situation, no it does not change the possibility of some financial responsibility - but, each and every one of us who modify our cars know that we are taking a risk if we do these modifications before our cars are out of warranty - more so now that Pontiac and Saturn no longer exist.
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline Graywolf

• Master Tech
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 08:40:55 PM »
Solo is not at fault, your problem is more complicated than a simple exhaust system
Bates cylinder sleeves/oil pump,Carillo Rods,Wiseco pistons,Ferrea valves/springs,CNC Race Ported head,Neutral balance shafts,CustomATI Damper,ZOK suspension,Custom Roll Bar and Wind Splitter by Chassis Concepts,6 pt Schroth harness,Extreme Dimension nose,Fidenza Flywheel/Spec3+ clutch,OZ ultrleggra wheels,Hoosier A6/R6 tires,Norms Fiberglass side vented fedders,side skirts and rear race bumper/fascia

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 08:51:21 PM »
Hi guys this is Jeff from Solo Performance. First I would like to say thank you to the people who have tried to help solve Duck1313's problem and have given us their support. Second I would like to say that I called Duck1313 as soon as Steve alerted me to this problem. What I got out of the conversation was that you were upset that the dealership would not diagnose the problem with our converter on the car. I offered to call the dealership which I did. There was no mention on your part that you were unhappy or dissatisfied with our exhaust only that you had excess smoke. I called the dealership and talked to the service adviser for about 1/2 hour. I have done this for customers about 30 times before. I have always had success when I have called dealerships. This time I did not. I have never spoke to such a rigid, uncompromising dealership before. During the conversation I asked the service adviser how our exhaust could cause the smoke. He said he didn't know. I then asked if they thought it was our exhaust set up that was the problem. He told me "no" but they wanted it put back to stock before they would diagnose it any further. I told him that we had 100's of exhaust systems like this out there and there has never been an issue like this. I also let him know that there has been many GM/Saturn dealerships that have put on this exact set up for customers. As asked him to check with the GM design center in Warren MI as they have purchased this exact set up from us (SD290 concept car) a few times for testing and a concept car. When I could not get any satisfaction from the dealership I called Duck1313 and told him what happened. I suggested another dealership and he said this was the best around. I suggested a very good mechanic shop could diagnose the problem but Duck1313 did not want anyone non certified to work on the car. I suggested posting on the forums to see if anyone else has had this problem and Duck1313 told me he had already done this. At this point I had no idea that you thought it was our product that was at fault. I believed that you were upset at the situation and that any hostility was aimed at the dealership for not wanting to get to the bottom of the problem. I read the dealer report and at no time did they blame the exhaust/converter for the problem in writing or verbally. If I had known that you thought it was our product that was at fault I would have offered you this...The dealer report only focused on the converter and O2 extender. If you take these off and put it back to the stock converter with no O2 extender the dealership can't/shouldn't/hopefully won't have a problem with just the cat back exhaust. Return the used converter and O2 extender to us and once we receive it I will issue a full refund either by Paypal or check, whichever is best for you. We always want our customers to be happy and to be treated fairly when there is a problem. All of the Solo team including Steve, myself and my co-workers take these matters very seriously. I/we have no problem refunding the converter purchase in full once it's shipped back to us. I think this is more than fair since there is no indication that our product is at fault. Honestly I don't understand the hostility being aimed at us when the dealership is refusing to even try to get to the bottom of the problem? Sorry for such a long post. Thanks for listening. Duck1313 feel free to call me.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 08:56:58 PM »
Well my lawyer is looking into the issue of some information given to me prior to the sale. I do feel I got f^%$ed, but not by GM or the dealer. Yes I'm not out just $112, I could possibly be out thousands. True no one forced me to put the exaust on, have a child or even buy the damn car. I do appreciate the offer of assistance from others and fingers crossed a little extra time and elbow grease will get things fixed. I don't appreciate people saying I should have known better or that I am whining.

Duck, I want you in the parade. You are one of my best friends and try not to let this get you down.

Hopefully, it will get resolved.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:00:31 PM by smartin »

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2011, 09:17:48 PM »
Dude, you REALLY need to try another dealer.  Yes, its aftermarket but you are having unique issues.  Yes, in theory the position of the O2 sensor can affect combustion, but why just you???  There are inflexible, unreasonable dealers and there are good ones.  In your area, folks have said good things Koons in Manassas. Is a lawyer and all this yelling easier and cheaper than listening to what folks are telling you and driving down the road? 

If you go aftermarket, especially with something that is part of emissions equipment, you have do be ready to work with those that are willing to work with aftermarket.  SOLO has provided you a product that you chose and paid for.  You have no evidence at all that their product, which has been successfully used by many, is at fault. 

If this is your attitude, you should not do anything aftermarket.  You should stay stock.  There are things that I am not willing to change because I don't want the hassle.  But I where I do go aftermarket, I will not blame the vendor for a dealer that can not cope.
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline lilaggressive

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2011, 11:58:43 PM »
That sounds like some pretty good customer service to me. Which is why I will be ordering a solo exhaust system in the near future.  :thumbs: