Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Went Solo and now F$%#ed  (Read 31189 times)

Offline Duck1313

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Facebook
Went Solo and now F$%#ed
« on: February 11, 2011, 07:34:08 PM »
Well this is a last ditch effort to figure out my issue. Many have seen it first hand and no one has been able to diagnose or come up with a solution. Last dealership called GM directly and the finger still points to aftermarket exhaust. Any ideas out there or ways to get the dealer to not point the finger at the exhaust? I went Solo and now I'm stuck by myself with my d%^k in my hand. :(
[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Went Solo and now F$%#ed
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »
Still have the OEM exhaust?  If not get one from someone that has removed theirs and put it back on your car.  If it still smokes take it back and tell them it ain't the exhaust they can now remove their head from their ass and fix your car.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Duck1313

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 08:05:42 PM »
Nope. Did not have room in the trunk on the way back from the mod meet.

Jebsmith

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »
i thought you were talking about  solo the company

Offline Duck1313

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:23:26 PM »
Thats whats on there now. Hi flow cat and Mach shorty. $1,000 intermittent smoke machine. :thumbs:

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 08:31:13 PM »
If GM is already involved, putting the stock exhaust back on will not get around the issue. Google the Magnuson-Moss warranty act  and read up on it. If there is something there that will help you, print it and take it to the dealership. Expect MORE push back and be prepared to a) live with the smoke issue, or b) lawyer up.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline Duck1313

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 08:48:07 PM »
If GM is already involved, putting the stock exhaust back on will not get around the issue. Google the Magnuson-Moss warranty act  and read up on it. If there is something there that will help you, print it and take it to the dealership. Expect MORE push back and be prepared to a) live with the smoke issue, or b) lawyer up.

Thats all fine and good but unless I can find out what is causing the issue I can't use the Magnusson Moss act card. Solo says it GM, GM says it's Solo. GM says it needs to be stock before they will go forward becuase of the location of O2 and use of spacer. Just becuase you are told it won't void the warranty by the sales rep you should probably get it in writing. (Lesson Learned) :banghead:

Anyone friends with or know John Beralta at GM?

Offline JimVonBaden

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 08:56:39 PM »
Not sure how hard it is to swap them, but I live only a couple miles from you. If you want to swap them out with mine, I might be game.

Jim :cool:
Never think you are forgotten!

Offline Buzzardt

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 08:57:53 PM »
I don't see were you have checked with SOLO. If you haven't already, give them a crack at it.

Nice offer Jim.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 09:02:16 PM »
I have a stock exhaust and CAT you can borrow to get it back to stock.  It won't have the Sky tips but it's the same thing.

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 09:37:53 PM »
if your smoking that bad, it could be oil in your intake.  Did you consider getting the Oil Catch Can from DDM.  Quick install and helps keep the oil out of intake thus minimizing on the smog out your rear. 

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »
at least open your intake tube near the turbo.  See if there is any oil sitting inside of the the tube.  That should help some.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
A) I assume it wasn't smoking prior to the SOLO exhaust mod? B) How long did it take after the mod for the current symptoms to develop (months/ miles)? I agree that returning the exhaust back to stock would be my first step in troubleshooting the problem.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Duck1313

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 12:26:08 AM »
Joe, I might take you up on it. Can discuss during the parade. Would like to solder the GMPP sensors too. had a couple instances where I think there was something loose (code thrown and no boost after start up)
Joe Jr. your dad and I checked and clean as a whistle.
Buzz, yes. E-mailed them today before I picked the car up.
Helios, it did it right after and I thought it was the new pipes burning the crap off of it.

Time for another shot and a beer.

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 01:21:48 AM »
Joe, I might take you up on it. Can discuss during the parade. Would like to solder the GMPP sensors too. had a couple instances where I think there was something loose (code thrown and no boost after start up)
Joe Jr. your dad and I checked and clean as a whistle.
Buzz, yes. E-mailed them today before I picked the car up.
Helios, it did it right after and I thought it was the new pipes burning the crap off of it.

Based on all of the previous information, I would have to agree that the O2 sensor may not be fully in the stream of exhaust. I know after I installed my RPi exhaust and then later DDMs S/C setup that I noticed quite a bit more black smoke and soot. Mine was only really noticeable when I stepped on the gas esp. at WOT. I can't say that I've ever just had black smoke billowing out of the tailpipes though.

"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Duck1313

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 01:28:27 AM »
Based on all of the previous information, I would have to agree that the O2 sensor may not be fully in the stream of exhaust. I know after I installed my RPi exhaust and then later DDMs S/C setup that I noticed quite a bit more black smoke and soot. Mine was only really noticeable when I stepped on the gas esp. at WOT. I can't say that I've ever just had black smoke billowing out of the tailpipes though.

Pretty sure this is oil, Joe do you agree?

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 07:25:14 AM »
Pretty sure this is oil, Joe do you agree?

It just seems odd that it would be oil if the car started smoking right after an exhaust system change. Under normal troubleshooting logic, I would be hard pressed to think it was oil.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline spartan

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 09:22:13 AM »
Wasn't it CHUCKDOC that had the PCV valve or related issue?  If that is kaput you could be getting oil into the intake periodically, but ack that you checked it.

I just can't figure out how it could be related to anything downstream of the connection to the cat but am in no way a gearhead.  The engine diagnostics didn't pick it up.  Could it be the turbo is cracked or something is loose and after WOT it smokes from some residual oil? 

Hate to see you have to retro but that looks to be what you'll have to do to get GM's help.  McKay is one of two GM dealerships I go to and they seem to be better than average but not as good as Saturn of Fairfax was.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 09:26:13 AM »
Chuckdoc's ended up being a Turbo and it did the same thing that Duck1313's did.  These engines aren't that easy to trouble shoot.  Chuck had the PCV valve changed on his own dime and that didn't fix it.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 09:40:01 AM »
I think it's bullshit that they are saying that the cat is causing the smoke.

But I'm going to have to put my stock cat on as well so I guess we're equally f'd :)
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Jebsmith

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »
its oil from somewhere.  turbo seals most likely.

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 11:39:47 AM »
In the mean time keep close track of your oil level, just to be safe. Check your plugs. If they all look the same it won't be a piston or ring issue. A turbo seal leak can also happen at the turbine side which won't show at the compressor side but will produce smoke without any misfiring. How is your gas milage lately?
If you have an aftermarket CAT or no CAT you will see smoke you didn't see before. These things run rich to protect from detonation plus boosted engines produce a bit more blowby  than the norm. So a smaller CAT or no CAT won't burn as clean. So is it "some smoke" or "lots of smoke"?

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »
EDIT: Jeff spoke with the dealership for you and they noted that they are not blaming the exhaust or cat...GM just wants to stock one on before they will look at it further.  We have no problem going to bat for you.  We have hundreds of these out on cars already and none of these issues.  We kindly ask that you modify the title of this thread in order to not attack the Solo name.  Thanks so much and let us know if we can help you in any other way.

Steve, Jeff, and the Solo Crew 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:01:33 PM by spicy3480 »
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 12:15:24 PM »
I edited my post above...we have already been in contact with dealership...see edit above in reply #23.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 12:58:02 PM »
Agreed the title is very misleading. I was surprised & curious when I saw it. I was pleased to see the OP wasn't attacking your name etc. ANOTHER TITLE would & SHOULD describe his dilemma properly.