Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Overheating  (Read 3270 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Overheating
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:47:07 PM »
Originally Posted by Flash's Owner on the BB, revised to make for simpler reading...

Question: Are you absolutely sure your cooling system is full?
Question: Have you experienced a coolant light on your dash?
Question: Has your Solstice overheated on one day and fine the next?

If so, it is possible you have a trapped air bubble. Many times, simply topping off or even slightly overfilling the coolant surge tank is enough.

GM Service at the Dealer:
First line of defense is to properly fill the system. The tech should follow the static fill procedures to a T. If they skip steps:
  • raising the surge tank over a foot while filling
  • clamping the turbo coolant feed hose
  • etc.
the result can be a trapped air bubble or symptoms you describe.

Even if done properly, it is conceivable that there could still be a stubborn airlock or bubble in the system.

Try a home remedie:
Temporarily raise the coolant tank to remove air from the system.
  • On a COOL engine, detatch the surge tank (without disconnecting any of the hoses)
  • Raise it a little more than a foot above its mounting bracket with the cap off. (this is described in the standard service procedures) use a box or another person to support the container.
  • Disconnect the hose at the forward driver's side of the engine, where the coolant hose says "engine top", under the plastic cover. The nipple for this specific hose points up, and it is held on with a clamp, and the line runs from the engine to the surge tank along the brake booster.

Notes: The tank detaches with a couple of bolts, that I recall, and you may have to pop the bottom hose from the surge tank out of the clamp to get the tank above the engine.
When you pop the hose off, it may dribble, squirt, or nothing may happen at all. The goal of this exercise is to allow any trapped air to get out of the system through this return line. Let gravity drain the system for a bit, especially if nothing comes out at first, then connect everything back up. Be sure to top off your coolant, and wash down any coolant that has come out of the system.

If you still experience overheating, then the next step is to replace the Thermostat. 

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Overheating
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 02:42:29 PM »
All the newer systems that are semi-seal are a pain to get the air out of when you fill them.  I would never have thought about lifting the surge tank.
2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »
Remember, never add water to the GM Coolant.  That will cause it to coagulate.  Only add approved GM Coolant.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 05:05:51 PM »
In my experience, I have seen two reasons for overheating. 

1. Thermostat sticking- this is a dealer repair and has been quite common (this was repaired on my car)

2. Air in the coolant system.  This will always cause overheating and the car will run poorly.  This has happened sometimes by chance and other times when people incorrectly flush the coolant system.  These cars have VERY specific directions for flushing the coolant and refilling it.  I know one person who had a major issue with this when they added the Killerglass coolant hose (it is clear glass and has an LED) and drained the entire coolant system instead of simply draining part of it.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 05:50:25 PM »
Whoa, that's not a good sign.  I thought I read in the manual you were supposed to cut the coolant (not gm branded but it matched the standards the manual stated) with water. 

Is that just a GM branded coolant or all (red/orange) stuff?

I did notice mine ran really hot before i added the water.  It's still higher than normal for an NA but i'm sure there's a bubble somewhere.  Fans cut on around 210 and bring it back down to 190 without much issue.

Offline Sky 5

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 10:40:43 PM »
Just slowly opening the pressurized coolant tank lid and pouring in a few ounces of DEX-COOL will cause a bubble somewhere down the line? How does that work?

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 07:05:10 AM »
Joe, I believe you left out a step before replacing the thermostat.  I think (may be wrong) there is a dealer TSB or just information to the dealer on how to fix the air bubble problem.  It involved a special piece of equipment and was posted in another lesser board by smalldealer.  Maybe someone can find it.

Also don't forget about checking for kinking of some hose somewhere.  I do not remember where cause I am old, but it was posted by Just Mike.
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 07:27:32 AM »
Whoa, that's not a good sign.  I thought I read in the manual you were supposed to cut the coolant (not gm branded but it matched the standards the manual stated) with water. 

Is that just a GM branded coolant or all (red/orange) stuff?

I did notice mine ran really hot before i added the water.  It's still higher than normal for an NA but i'm sure there's a bubble somewhere.  Fans cut on around 210 and bring it back down to 190 without much issue.

Adding water to the GM coolant is bad news, not compatible with it.  Causes the GM to coagulate.   You had better change your fluid ASAP

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 02:25:26 PM »
I'm pretty sure I read it in the manual.  50/50 distilled water/dex-cool.

I won't have access to the car this week but I'm almost positive.  I had actually just put the coolant in at first and was wondering why my engine-temps were higher than before and finally read the entire section.  So I drained half and replaced with distilled water and temps have been fine.

The coolant will be drained during the down-time here anyway so I'll re-read that section.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 02:37:44 PM »
Correction on my post.  Distilled water is ok, mixing green and pink antifreeze is bad and will cause it to gel.  I was giving bad info. 

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 04:24:38 PM »
WWWHHHEEEEEWWW

man, since i don't have the car here this week i've been searching all over the place trying to find more info.

Thanks!