Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Too many LNF's failing  (Read 12782 times)

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Too many LNF's failing
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »
In the GM ectotec build book- the LNF piston is good up to 300 hp then they should be replaced with after market pistons. Gm racing put alot of testing to come up with when failure occurs with different engine parts. Of course why should you believe them! You know plenty of people running 400hp and their engine is fine! I have not had problems with my Wiseco pistons. I was a victum of piston failure with no warranty coverage. Like it or not ,GM used some cheap parts in many areas on this car,

Were you running more than 300 hp when the pistons failed? I remember you built the engine after the damage but don't remember what tune you were running. As for us we are running the GMPP only so 290 hp is what we have. I am seriously considering a rebuild next summer just to be on the safer side. Of course that will mean a new tune with more power...!
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2011, 03:07:22 PM »
Does anyone know what the compression reading is on our cars when new? Can use the number as a benchmark.
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #52 on: July 07, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »
I currently have a problem with my 93 not being that great, but the knock goes away after you do a few pulls. The ECU is smart. It's fine.

Summer gas?
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2011, 03:29:54 PM »
i don't think so. i think it's been for a while actually. i've never been able to run as much timing as other kappas out there on the same gas.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Buzzardt

• Master Tech
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2011, 04:49:36 PM »
Off the top of my head, around 100 to 125 I think. I am sure more knowledgeable people will kick in also.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 04:52:49 PM by Buzzardt »

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2011, 06:01:28 PM »
I'd run what ever gas brand just run the highest octane. Along with Aeroforceinterceptor to watch for knock($260?) and you'll be fine.

If normal driving I can run 89 octane with Hahn Stage ll plus about 4 lbs. Obviously I'm not boost hard but can drive normal on lower octane just watch the Aeroforce Interceptor for knock.
07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2011, 08:03:15 PM »
Does anyone know what the compression reading is on our cars when new? Can use the number as a benchmark.

Compression ratio is 9.2:1
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2011, 08:35:29 PM »
Compression ratio is 9.2:1

Thanks  Ron! What I am actually looking for is the cylinder compression psi number.

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2011, 10:53:05 PM »
Funny thing with the DIC it will round up or down so if you hit 22.5 or 22.6 it will read 23 but if your sustaning 23 on the DIC all the way till Redline your probably higher than 23psi no way to tell until unless you have HPT and carry it out 2 places past the decimal or possibly your scan tool..

I did a quick log with my scan tool (actron CP9180)

ABSLT TPS%             81.9
RPM                         3641
BARO PRS KPA           95             PSI 13.779
CALC LOAD%            100
MAF FLOW GR/SEC    184.02 LBS/MIN  24.342
MAP KPA                  255            PSI 36.985
IAT                         80F
OUT TEMP.               80F
IGN ADVANCE DE       6.5  

If I did the conversion right: BARO PRS - MAP = BOOST 0f 23.206 PSI

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2011, 11:27:19 PM »
Yup that's how you do it.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 08:16:42 AM »
Thanks  Ron! What I am actually looking for is the cylinder compression psi number.
There are so many things that can make the numbers vary that to say this is what it should be is kind of foolish.  What you get with your gauge on your car may not be what I would get with my gauge on your car just after you take a reading.  If your car is running fine now just keep tracked of the results you get and over time take note of any trend in those numbers.  So just take readings like when you do an oil change or maybe every couple of months.  You will see the numbers rise and drop but over time you will see a trend and that is where you make decisions about your engines health.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 10:31:30 AM »
There are so many things that can make the numbers vary that to say this is what it should be is kind of foolish.  What you get with your gauge on your car may not be what I would get with my gauge on your car just after you take a reading.  If your car is running fine now just keep tracked of the results you get and over time take note of any trend in those numbers.  So just take readings like when you do an oil change or maybe every couple of months.  You will see the numbers rise and drop but over time you will see a trend and that is where you make decisions about your engines health.

Exactly! Looking for any trends that could indicate an upcoming problem. I realize the compression check is not the end all, be all -  but it seems a good thing to watch for possible issues. I guess the main thing is that all the cylinders or within a few psi of each other so either they or all bad or all good.   :huh:   :D