Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Wheel liner info - are yours cracked?  (Read 21347 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Wheel liner info - are yours cracked?
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 07:40:22 AM »
The removal of the screws at the rear of the front wheelhouse liner and their replacement with push pins is recommended in the TSB for the cracking issue. That is definitely something I would do.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 07:52:46 AM »
06-not cracked (yet)
09-not cracked (yet)

As far as the fender liners folks are talking about I'll have to take a look and see if the 06 has them as a separate add-on and if the 09 were molded in as part of a change, and will report back.

I can't commit to buying any until I run it by my real boss and tell her what they will costs (because she will ask).  BTW, are these something you're going to be prepared to mail if enough interest is generated?

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 07:55:33 AM »
A dead blow rubber mallat and a padded chair is all I need to do wonders to fix the dents on the fender.  I have straighted many this way so that they are barely noticable.

We might have to work something out at the mod meet next year. My drivers side is so bad the paint is coming off it. The metal is crunched, but a rubber mallet would definitely take out the noticeable dent and the passenger side dent. It probably won't help on the bottom part that looks like a wad of tinfoil. :(

I didn't get a chance to check for cracks last night, but I will for sure today. One would think I would have noticed them the other day though.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 07:59:27 AM by ihawk95 »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 08:07:29 AM »
ihawk, I'll look at it this weekend to see what we'll have to do later.

Choptop, it may be better for you to go to the seller since he's about 1hr south west of you.

Offline Imaj

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 08:46:52 AM »
07 GXP

LF - Left Front
RF - Right Front

Mine are both cracked.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 08:50:13 AM »
I notice some where that someone took the screws off the wheel liner and replace them with push fasteners, the ones that holds the trunk liner in place....... I have 2 extra sets for the front an 1 extra for the rear that I was able to buy at $20 each. Will be replacing the front with new liners and was thinking of using the push fasteners idea....
The push fasteners are from the TSB that GM put out to try to avoid the cracking from overtightened/inflexible screws.  You can get the same things from any auto parts store and I did when the dealer replaced my wells but didn't read the TSB and reused the screws.  Idiots already managed to crack one of the holes on the passenger side when the put on the new ones <sigh>.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 08:57:34 AM »
I would want a set for front for Sky Redline because I have one crashed and my dealer wants 150$ for each (discounted price from 200$) but I have no idea how to ship them at a decent price over here.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 10:01:37 AM »
The push fasteners are from the TSB that GM put out to try to avoid the cracking from overtightened/inflexible screws.  You can get the same things from any auto parts store and I did when the dealer replaced my wells but didn't read the TSB and reused the screws.  Idiots already managed to crack one of the holes on the passenger side when the put on the new ones <sigh>.

The dealer had to replace the LH liner on my wife's redline when the engine was replaced. I need to take a look and see if they reused the screws or if they read the TSB. I will also check her front right liner also.

Both my fronts are cracked (around the mounting holes) on my GXP but I need to see if this is covered under the extended warranty. I guess they should be since they know there is a problem and issued the TSB.
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline Dr. Gronk

• Master Tech
  • carpe diem incoronatus
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
Mine aren't cracked but pretty scratched up.

Depending on price/shipping I'm in for
Solstice GXP Front
014  25914761  LINER. Front Fender Inner Wheel House
LINER,FRT W/H - RH. Required: 01RHD. For: M TURBO GT(GTA) (2007-2010) (2007 - 2010).  $74.80   
014  25914762  LINER. Front Fender Inner Wheel House
LINER,FRT W/H - LH. Required: 01LHD. For: M TURBO GT(GTA) (2007-2010) (2007 - 2010).  $74.80   
07 GXP - Trifectatated Hahn S20G - carpe diem incoronatus

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 01:19:25 PM »
I wonder if the use of a rubber washer could eliminate the cracking under/around the bolt head.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 01:28:40 PM »
I wanted to install shoulder bolts/screws so that you can't over tighten them and stress the liners.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
Even a small piece of tubing that could be used as a spacer around the screw before it's installed would work. Good idea.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 03:44:27 PM »
I wonder if the use of a rubber washer could eliminate the cracking under/around the bolt head.
I think that doing this might not let you tighten the screws enough to stop them backing out.  I would go with the push pins, or maybe the screw+spacer idea above.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 04:00:51 PM »
You mean the rubber along the top of the front fenders?  :idk:
Wouldn't they be too thin?
They do not look to be that thin, I would say they are about a 3/8 of an inch wide.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline redragon

• Tech
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 09:11:41 PM »
I might be in for a set.

07 sky NA
only need the front passenger side but will take both right and left front liners if the price is right.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 02:05:04 PM by redragon »

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 09:20:39 AM »
I think mine are okay. But I'll have someone else take a look at them just to be sure at the next event.

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 01:22:10 PM »
I think mine are okay. But I'll have someone else take a look at them just to be sure at the next event.

Open the hood, look down... are they cracked?

Then check behind/in front of each tire and see if they're cracked where the screws are. If not, they're not cracked.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 01:34:04 PM »
Shiny

Let me get this straight.  If they don't have any cracks then they aren't cracked?  Good to know!
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline SHiNY

• Faster than Slowest Romanian
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Every Cloud has a Silver Lining
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »
Shiny

Let me get this straight.  If they don't have any cracks then they aren't cracked?  Good to know!

That is correct. Would you like me to post pictures documenting this process just in case you're still not sure? :poke:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »
No need, cracks are one of those things I look for when inspecting airplanes.  I just wanted to make sure since it sounded like a complex procedure to determin if they were in fact cracked.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2011, 02:28:49 PM »
No need, cracks are one of those things I look for when inspecting airplanes.  I just wanted to make sure since it sounded like a complex procedure to determin if they were in fact cracked.

Speaking of inspecting for cracks...and realizing this is a little hijacking (something I would never do of course)...

I had a fracture mechanics prof in college that was supposingly a guru on the subject.  He used to go out and inspect cracks on planes and was present for some testing on the 777 before it was introduced.  He was telling us it's not a crack unless it's a pretty good size crack...like several inches.  Probably depends on the size of the plane.  Do you agree or was he full of it?

So...what if a crack on our fenders is very small?  Is it still considered a crack?  :idk:

:D

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2011, 03:40:24 PM »
Believe it or not some cracks are acceptable depending on where they are and how big they are.  It all comes down to what the manufacturer defines as airworthy, and they speck out what is OK and what scraps a part.

I worked with one tech that told the story of having to repeatedly inspect a cracked wing spar on an aircraft every so many hours of flight only to find out when some other tech did the inspection that what was called a crack was in fact only a grease mark on the spar.  He literally cleaned the mark off the part and then asked why it took years worth of inspections to determine that it wasn't a crack but grease.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 03:43:25 PM »
Would that be a greased crack?
2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline ihawk95

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 04:26:17 PM »
Believe it or not some cracks are acceptable depending on where they are and how big they are.  It all comes down to what the manufacturer defines as airworthy, and they speck out what is OK and what scraps a part.

I worked with one tech that told the story of having to repeatedly inspect a cracked wing spar on an aircraft every so many hours of flight only to find out when some other tech did the inspection that what was called a crack was in fact only a grease mark on the spar.  He literally cleaned the mark off the part and then asked why it took years worth of inspections to determine that it wasn't a crack but grease.

Cool!  I didn't figure he was full of it and he said basically what you just did.  Except for the grease crack!  He was also a product liability guru and was an expert witness in several court cases.  His experiences made for some interesting discussions in Fracture Mechanics and Mech. Systems Design class.

Unfortunately...he owned an early red Miata.  :lol:

Oooh...I see his jean jacket must have worn out!
http://www.engineering.uiowa.edu/faculty-staff/profile-directory/mie/stephens_r.php

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 05:05:33 PM »
Joe is trying to gauge interest on a possible group buy for wheelhouse liners so please try to keep things on topic if you would.   :slap:

That's my administrator's voice.  :D