Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Cost for used ls3  (Read 3371 times)

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
Cost for used ls3
« on: August 01, 2012, 10:45:18 AM »
Hey guys,
Assembling parts for my swap which now looks like it will happen the winter of 2013 due to time constraints, but I was wondering; what's a reasonable price for an ls3? I know new they are 6k and up but I found a guy who does ls7 swaps in new camaros and has a regular flow of ls3's with usually 8-10 miles on them.  He says he gets 4500 each for them and wouldn't mind getting me one for 4k since I will be picking it up..

Good deal?

Posted using Tapatalk on god only knows which device.
The fun starts when it's paid off.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
Re: Cost for used ls3
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:07:24 PM »
Are you planning to modify it? or just slap it in 100% stock?

GM will warranty a crate motor if you buy it new through them, however if it was me, I would throw a big cam and perhaps some forged pcs in the shortblock to take power as wells springs and retainers for the top end. Hence a warranty would be worthless

If you are going to go purely stock, I would consider new through GM to get the warranty.

But to answer your question, 4k on an LS motor... assuming its complete with belts manifolds etc, is a pretty decent deal from what a quick web search shows
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:31:34 PM »
At this point it does look like it will be going in stock.  I hadn't even thought about a warranty, though I'm not terribly concerned. All toys break and this car will never be my primary vehicle. It just isn't practical enough.

Honestly the way things are panning out now I'm hesitant to add any more work to the project as it is already a year out.

Thanks for the confidence on the price, I haven't been able to find a similar one for less yet, and this one includes most of the serpentine system and a ton (two large boxes) of extra parts.

Posted using Tapatalk on god only knows which device.

Offline miller11386

• Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 01:32:50 PM »
If you choose to want to up the performance and want to build up an LS with a bigger cam/ upgraded pcs, let me know and I can put you in contact with a reputable v8 builder here in Ohio. Obviously you would need to tune a little bit though to make it work properly with upgraded parts.

However IIRC the3 bone stock LS3 makes around 350sh whp and  to the wheels, so IMO its worth spending the money on a cam and a tune to get up to 400+whp
Check out Miller's Youtube Channel HERE

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 07:05:07 AM »
1. You plan on doing the install yourself?
2. You plan on buying the WERKS DIY (wiring harness) install kit?

Offline pew

• Tech
  • Stage 2 DDM SC
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 08:58:26 PM »
1. You plan on doing the install yourself?
2. You plan on buying the WERKS DIY (wiring harness) install kit?

Sorry for the massive delay; I do plan on doing the conversion myself WITH the DIY WERKS kit, though I have excellent resources in the form of professional mechanic friends that are more than excited to be a part of this build.. I myself would never attempt something this large or it would take me two years.

I have completed engine swaps on my own before, but never anything other than a stock engine or equivalent.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:04:42 PM by pew »

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »
Good Luck

Please take pictures of the process along the way.

Offline ChopTop

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:37:03 AM »
Good Luck

Please take pictures of the process along the way.

Thanks for the follow up and ditto on pics, or maybe a new thread or blog entitled; How to install LS3 in your Kappa.  Plus it would serve as inspiration for others to try because sooner or later; lifer Kappaholics may begin to turn to this engine or other replacements. 

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 04:52:00 PM »
Make sure if you do a how to it's detailed ie like converting the toque arm diff to a none. ( well if you have a toque arm that is )