Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Only half boost, Oil vapor leak, and throwing codes  (Read 3708 times)

Offline e-sarge

• Tech
    • My Page on IMSaturn
Only half boost, Oil vapor leak, and throwing codes
« on: December 03, 2013, 02:46:15 PM »
I have noticed that I have oil vapor leaking somewhere and accumulating around the intake side of the turbo. I also have code P2187 (twice) currently on the computer. The third major symptom is that I can hear the turbo when I'm on the gas (kinda like driving next to a Semi with the boost whine rising with engine revs). Prior to this issue, I would only actually hear the turbo whine briefly when letting off the gas (venting excess boost).

I have the GMPP tune, SOLO hi-flow cat & exhaust, t-bolt clamp upgrades, and an oil separator (same function as a catch can but is self-draining). Otherwise, engine bay is pretty much stock.

I have checked all intake fittings and everything seems to be in place, so I'm not sure where the turbo whine is coming from. Seems that the car will only produce about 15 pounds of boost even after resetting all codes.

On my most recent trip to the shop, my mechanic found codes P0101, P0106, P0236, P2187 twice, and P0139. He did notice that the PCV nipple on the air intake duct was cracked, so I have just replaced the air intake duct, but yet the car can't produce full boost (as reported by the DIC boost gauge) and it threw a couple P2187 codes again on the test drive after replacing the air intake duct.

I searched for P2187 in this forum but only found the exhaust leak thread -- that doesn't match up with all of my symptoms (oil vapor accumulation on the intake side and the turbo boost whine).

I had my inspection cam out today and the oil vapor leak residue is probably thickest on the block side of the turbo, but is also present on the wheel side as well. To a lesser degree, there is oil residue in other areas as well, but only in places where it would make sense that the air moves the vapor under the hood downwind of the turbo. My mechanic and I have not been able to locate an obvious source for this vapor. Thee is also some accumulation on the side of the engine block, again seemingly downwind of the turbo area.

Any ideas? Only thing I can come up with this that the boost controller system is messed up and not closing completely? Don't even know if that's possible?
2007 Sky Redline, Midnight Blue, Black top, Ebony/Tan interior.

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Only half boost, Oil vapor leak, and throwing codes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:35:55 PM »
I would check the solenoid that is located below the intake of the turbo.
Make sure is clean and not oily. Also check the connection, the wires can come loose if someone pulled on the connector the wrong way.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline e-sarge

• Tech
    • My Page on IMSaturn
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »
The solenoid area is also coated in oil vapor and dust, but not more so than other parts of the turbo, and not obviously oilier than other parts. It is certainly not "clean". The wires do not look like they have been touched.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
This could be the oil seals in the turbo going out.  Didn't ChuckDoc have something like this happen with his GXP?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:31:08 PM »
cat gasket leaks will darken the turbo, check the back side of the turbo cover

Offline e-sarge

• Tech
    • My Page on IMSaturn
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
So I think I found the source of the oil vapor. The fitting at the turbo after the oil separator (which is installed in the PCV line from the front of the valve cover to the turbo), the last fitting seems to have fresh oil vapor. Everywhere else, the vapor is covered with dust. Time to contact the guy who installed the separator, since I don't have the right tools to get in that tight spot to remove/inspect or tighten that connector.

Follow up question: If this is the source of the oil vapor, this would be a leak of metered air (PCV input is after the MAF), so could this be related to the codes I have (see first post)?

Offline WWI Flying Ace

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »
This could be the oil seals in the turbo going out.  Didn't ChuckDoc have something like this happen with his GXP?

Relpy #157 and higher on this thread:
http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,5079.msg73771.html#msg73771

Offline e-sarge

• Tech
    • My Page on IMSaturn
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 05:38:42 PM »
cat gasket leaks will darken the turbo, check the back side of the turbo cover
So I finally got around to checking under the turbo heat shield today, and yes, the cat gasket is pooched. Not sure that's related to the codes (all codes seem to be air/fuel related) or oil vapor problems (should be no oil vapor on the exhaust side, and in fact the back of the turbo shield is evenly coated with dry soot, no vapor), but definitely something I'll be getting fixed soon.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »
Take it to Zorro, they'll fix ya' up.  :thumbs:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 05:47:12 PM »
I know that thread ist ancient, but I have the Same Problem.
Double p2187, catgasket leaking AND the solenoid area is a little bit wet with oil.
I also have the solo Cat and a Catch can.

Literally the exact same situation and problem.

Did a new gasket fix it for you?