Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: NASSM 2014 National Information  (Read 2929 times)

Offline solli

• Master Tech
    • 2008 Solstice Gals
NASSM 2014 National Information
« on: January 14, 2014, 01:08:46 PM »
Hey kappa kids, as we begin moving into the next six months, we will be posting more informational threads on the following events and whatever else occurs to us.   :)

*Rally information, including how to order boxed lunches for Fri/Sat Skyland's rally to Westfall Winery. A menu for selection will be presented at that time.

*Vendor information, including how to contact our vendors for specific products.

*Car show information with categories for awards.

*Additional overflow hotel information.

Thanks for your continued enthusiasm, support and patience!

Offline rotarypiston

• Tech
  • 1 of 274 Magnetic Paint color Solstices ever made
Re: NASSM 2014 National Information
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
Any update on making the Poconos Raceway event an SCCA Autocross event?   
Ride: 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP in Magnetic (aka carbon flash) with manual transmission
Mods: GM Stage 1

Offline solli

• Master Tech
    • 2008 Solstice Gals
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »
If it happens at all it's going to happen as described here: http://66.132.1.89/raceway.asp

Offline rotarypiston

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:29:35 PM »
If it happens at all it's going to happen as described here: http://66.132.1.89/raceway.asp

That did not answer my question.

I posted up asking if we could eliminate this track day and instead have an SCCA autocross event in replacement at the Poconos raceway.  The event would be considerably cheaper and no one would have to buy this extra insurance.  Plus, then people could ride as passengers with each other and since it all is timed, we can maybe do a grand prize for the winner for overall best kappa performance. 

Honestly, this I believe would be much easier to do.  And considering it is only January, we have plenty of time to organize this.
Ride: 2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP in Magnetic (aka carbon flash) with manual transmission

Offline solli

• Master Tech
    • 2008 Solstice Gals
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
I'll get back to you with an answer. Any changes or considerations would be done by committee.

Offline Rusty

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 11:57:15 AM »
Rotorypiston; we don't have timing equipment or cones to do that ourselves. What is your relationship with SCCA?
Retired Educator & Tech Inspector for NHRA Dragway.

Offline rotarypiston

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 12:39:13 PM »
Rotorypiston; we don't have timing equipment or cones to do that ourselves. What is your relationship with SCCA?

As someone who races at many local SCCA events, it is not that hard.  The key to organizing this I believe would rest on our ability to contact the local SCCA chapter that hosts the events in the region of our meet.  When we do, we can setup that event and see if they would be willing to help operate the event.  I will check into my local chapter and see what I can manage to find logistically here in Michigan. 

Offline rotarypiston

• Tech
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 03:57:49 PM »
As someone who races at many local SCCA events, it is not that hard.  The key to organizing this I believe would rest on our ability to contact the local SCCA chapter that hosts the events in the region of our meet.  When we do, we can setup that event and see if they would be willing to help operate the event.  I will check into my local chapter and see what I can manage to find logistically here in Michigan.

Okay everyone, so I have checked on this and here is what we can do. 

I contacted Stephen Tichy, Regional Executive for the Northeastern Pennsylvania Region, and after discussing what I had in mind for our group he gave me the contact information for the Solo II Chair, Chris Haydu.

Chris and I discussed all of the logistics behind this event and it turns out this will be a lot easier than one would first think.

Fortunately, the track we rented out, East Course Option 2, is the exact same course Chris uses for his autocross event at Poconos.  Also, it turns out that while our event is on June 20th, he is hosting a autocross event for the region on that Sunday before on June 15th.  That means that when they set up their course, he suggested that in an effort to speed up preparation, he could use some wax crayons to leave all of the marks of the cones and their location for us to have for our event 5 days later.

If we hire the SCCA Region to sponsor the event to organize and bring out all of their equipment, he suggested that it would cost roughly $500 for the entire group.  And, if we wanted to use the SCCA insurance, (which would then not require everyone to get insurance and provide it for the track day), it would cost $20 per driver. 

From his experience, he turns the course from a .92 mile track into a 1.3 mile track (because of the cones) and is able to get at least 4 runs per person in between 7am-6pm.  That includes all of our setup, course walk, driver meeting, and running everyone. 

Per our agreement with Poconos, because we are renting their track, cones will be provided by them and if we hire the SCCA Solo II guys, they provide extra cones, timers, and all of their gear to do the event.  This also includes the 6 Chiefs that coordinate the event and the workers to help the event run smoothly. 

We can limit the cars to just our cars for this event, giving that we allow the workers who are volunteering unpaid for the event to work to allow them to run their cars for a heat.  Which is pretty standard among autocross events. 

Also, we can have passengers in our cars while racing in this event!!   :yay:

_______

Bottom line, I think this would be a great thing for us.  We could all compete with each other, get trophy's at a trophy presentation for the winners, and have a great time.   We all will have time to go around the state of Pennsylvania for our fun driving, so this will be a nice change of pace.  And considering like I said earlier, that we won't have to get separate insurances for everyone, it will cut down on the liability everyone needs to provide because we can just use the SCCA insurance. 

Timeline for providing we do this would mean we need to make a decision 2 months in advance of the event so they can verify workers and insurance.

The cost for all of this per car if we do 135 people running this event, is $24.00 each.  (This includes insurance and SCCA fee)

($20*135+$500)/135 = $23.70 each

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
There is still the track rental.  Other costs include liability and staff/emergency personnel.  Not as easy as it looks.

Offline rotarypiston

• Tech
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 05:07:48 PM »
There is still the track rental.  Other costs include liability and staff/emergency personnel.  Not as easy as it looks.

Yes, however, the extra insurance we have to buy for that track day if we do that will cost more than $24 that the SCCA can provide. 

The liability and staff/emergency personnel should be included in the SCCA fee I discussed.

Offline solli

• Master Tech
    • 2008 Solstice Gals
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 05:11:57 PM »
Hey James, did we meet at the Buds & Blossoms rally last April at the winery? R U Reed/Shiny's friend? What's the cost if we only have 40 people? I'm just curious.

Offline rotarypiston

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 07:12:06 PM »
Hey James, did we meet at the Buds & Blossoms rally last April at the winery? R U Reed/Shiny's friend? What's the cost if we only have 40 people? I'm just curious.

Yes and yes  :D

If we have just 40 people, it will cost $32.50 per person. 

Remember, this is not including the track rental fee we have as well. 

And if we only have 40 people, we will be able to get a lot more runs if it is just us too.  But, we can earn money to help offset having a higher cost by opening up the event to the public.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 07:25:17 PM by rotarypiston »