Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: got a strange noise.... :'(  (Read 1053 times)

Offline The_Saj

• Tech
got a strange noise.... :'(
« on: January 25, 2014, 06:58:33 PM »
Alright, i'm normally over in the skyroadster forums but i havn't been active much since i havn't done much with the car.

so when cold and a few occasions when warm but really cold outside (specifically on my drive back from oregon to tennessee... 8F outside) it makes this sound approximately between 2k-2.5k rpm that sounds a lot like a sportbike chain that is loose and over lubricated.

now i'm sure this is partly due to a hole in the tune file i used for a while... my mistake for not looking over the work before using it... i've since fixed it but i did beat on it a good bit with two cells in the high 5800rpm range of cam timing going from -11 to 10 to -9 over about 300 rpm... i'm sure that's likely the cause. i've since retuned the car myself... other than the boost of power from properly tuning it and such... no more hole in the tune.

the car has aftermarket bov, i made a new charge pipe for the turbo side of the intercooler and it's re-circ (i didn't have the ability to remake the other side at the time... and no definitely don't or i'd move the maf). cat-back exhaust. and tune... that's it.

i know i'm likely in need of new valve springs and i intend to upgrade the cam when i do. running 20psi around 60 degrees f at 30% humidity.

i'm mostly trying to figure out if i need to replace more parts... and about how long before it likely starts damaging other components...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:03:07 PM by The_Saj »
Tuned to run... :)

Offline Napi

• Master Tech
Re: got a strange noise.... :'(
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 06:07:52 AM »
Any chance to upload a soundfile?

Offline The_Saj

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 03:21:58 PM »
i'll try to record one... it usually like to do it when moving but not when parked. i'll take one from inside the car and then try sticking my phone out the window... i might be able to get it to do it moving slow enough that wind won't bother the recording. *wishes he had a go pro* ^_^
Tuned to run... :)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 06:17:37 PM »
How 'bought an external mike with that cell phone.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!