Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Quick question!  (Read 2941 times)

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
Quick question!
« on: February 14, 2014, 01:19:29 AM »
Will a solstice gxp gauge cluster work on a saturn sky redline? and does it matter if the cluster is an 07 and the sky is an 08? 

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
Re: Quick question!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 11:36:41 AM »
Anyone?

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I don't think any ECM related changes happened until 2009, if any. Don't take my word on it.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline InTheSky831

• Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 12:05:04 PM »
I believe it should work. maybe look at the connectors on them or google some pictures?

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 12:08:58 PM »
There were a number of posts on this somewhere, about swapping Solstice clusters. There ARE model-year differences and IIRC, 2006 clusters can only be swapped on 2006 cars. Then there were also other MY ranges that were/weren't compatible.  Sky to Solstice swaps is yet another level.

I'd be wary about this if you're buying online. If local though, you could try it first.

UPDATE: see this:http://www.kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php/topic,9867

... certainly the DIC message display will be different and I have doubts that the outside temp display would work on a Sky.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 12:14:34 PM by TomatoSoup »
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 12:11:43 PM »
Here is one post on the issue.

Some scratches on the lens, but appears to be in perfect working order.
Selling for what I paid on eBay + shipping to you (shouldn't be more than $10-15 in the continental US.)

$125

Mileage: It will pick up mileage from your car, the mileage isn't stored in the cluster.
Scratches: mainly at the bottom, except for the tach, nearly all covered up by the dash tunnels. Lenses are all interchangeable, so you can use your good set if you want.
Functionality: All the indicators, idiot lights, tach and speedo work, and read the correct speed. I tested in a base Solstice.

Why I'm selling the gauge cluster: The cluster worked nearly perfectly in the car, but the DIC would only report the mileage. Investigation on Cobalt forums (who use the same cluster, just cosmetically different) is that there are DIC compatibility issues not between 2.4L and LNF cars, but between model years. I'm selling this to get one for the same model year as my car. If you have an '07, you should have full functionality. Any other year, you should have a working odometer, but no way to check the tire pressures, trip computer, etc.

PS Tomato worry is not spelled with an A, even Critter knows that.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 12:17:04 PM »
Update snap!

But, SA, wary <> worry  :slap:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:33 PM »
Ok ya I had read that quote on the solstice forums. Apparently there was a guy that had changed his cluster out for the cobalt ss ones.

The whole reason I'm wanting the solstice gauge cluster is simpler haha

The solstice cluster has a gauge sweep when you start the car where as the sky doesn't. I was wanting to get a new background done from blackcat customs also. Sooo... I thought, well why not get a solstice cluster and then change the faceplate on that gauge and use it for the sky? That way, I have the faceplate in a cluster that I want, with the gauge sweep, and even get to keep my factory as a spare!

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »
Simple* lol and I know this seems like a lot to do just for a gauge sweep but why not? haha

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
Simple* lol and I know this seems like a lot to do just for a gauge sweep but why not? haha

The gauge sweep may not be a function of the gauge, but that of the ECM. Just an FYI.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 03:32:33 PM »
The gauge sweep may not be a function of the gauge, but that of the ECM. Just an FYI.
:agree: ... and even if not, do you REALLY want your display DIC to read "Solstice GXP" when you start your Sky?

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
Update snap!

But, SA, wary <> worry  :slap:

Yeah I know but this way I was able to indirectly give Critter a hard time.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 05:21:21 PM »
:agree: ... and even if not, do you REALLY want your display DIC to read "Solstice GXP" when you start your Sky?

Lol it really doesnt bother me at all if that shows up. Its visual for about a second and a half and then goes away. lol Good point about it not being an actual cluster deal. Is there anyone in Houston TX that would mind swapping just to see if it would work? I'll buy lunch! haha

Offline L-N-Fn

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »
That would be good question for GMT. To bad he was banded for being honest about vendors, and other BS reasons.
Coupe 993 5mt. GMPP CAI, GMPP tune+ HPT, 3 inch catless ext. Dejon cooler and Piping, AME water meth, Garrett Manifold, EFR 6758, Werks springs, 2010 lifters, 5th injector,E43, CCW Werks rims285 front-305 rear PScup's. Zok cross member, sway bars, back bone, LVFB. 407 WHP.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 07:21:52 PM »
That would be good question for GMT. To bad he was banded for being honest about vendors, and other BS reasons.

Him being banned doesn't mean it's now not a good question for him. It's still a good question for him. He is still available for questioning I'd guess. Perhaps directing the OP to the guy that might be able to help him would be more helpful to the OP than just postulating your take on an issue?

Just a thought.

OP- I don't know GMT, but apparently he may be a good resource for you. Perhaps someone here will offer up a way to contact him for further questioning. Wish I could be of more assistance.

Seacrest out
Make the right choices now

Offline InTheSky831

• Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 08:25:03 PM »
people get banned for all sorts of reasons, dumb or not.

he may be able to be contacted via someone who knows him, but at the same time...cant blame him for not wanting to help people that booted him, indirectly or not.

I think the sweep is part of the ecm as well. I will get with one of the techs here on Monday if you haven't had an answer yet and see what I can find out

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 12:03:42 AM »
To bad he was banded for being honest about vendors

Honest about vendors? That's laughable.
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2014, 02:02:44 AM »
Why not just ask Scanner?  He's pretty knowledgeable about how the electronics on these cars work and he's still on the forum.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2014, 03:44:50 AM »
Ok guys thanks for all of the help so far! My dela is if its ecm, what differences do the sky and solstice ecm pose? Looks like all of the electronics and motorwork would be the exacr same.

Offline boboborino

• Tech
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2014, 10:39:04 AM »

Him being banned doesn't mean it's now not a good question for him. It's still a good question for him. He is still available for questioning I'd guess. Perhaps directing the OP to the guy that might be able to help him would be more helpful to the OP than just postulating your take on an issue?

Just a thought.

OP- I don't know GMT, but apparently he may be a good resource for you. Perhaps someone here will offer up a way to contact him for further questioning. Wish I could be of more assistance.

Seacrest out

You can still find GMT on the other forums related to the Kappa Platform, maybe the OP can go over there and find out.

Bert

Offline L-N-Fn

• Tech
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »
Try a P-M on the Sky Forum.
Coupe 993 5mt. GMPP CAI, GMPP tune+ HPT, 3 inch catless ext. Dejon cooler and Piping, AME water meth, Garrett Manifold, EFR 6758, Werks springs, 2010 lifters, 5th injector,E43, CCW Werks rims285 front-305 rear PScup's. Zok cross member, sway bars, back bone, LVFB. 407 WHP.