Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: WTB: Alternator for redline sky 2.0 turbo  (Read 2234 times)

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
WTB: Alternator for redline sky 2.0 turbo
« on: April 09, 2014, 03:17:10 PM »
Hey guys. My alternator started making some crazy issues the other day. I'm thinking the regulator went out or something because at high rpm the alternator is overcharging everything. Its supposed to maintain I believe 13.5 volts and it can get as high as 17 volts.

This being said, does anyone have this for sale? Thanks guys

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: WTB: Alternator for redline sky 2.0 turbo
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 08:05:32 PM »
If you're thinking it's just the rectifier, you can buy that for less than $6 over at RocKAuto

ACDELCO Part # 19116975

DIODE,MULTI-FUNCTION
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:44:51 AM »
If you're thinking it's just the rectifier, you can buy that for less than $6 over at RocKAuto

ACDELCO Part # 19116975

DIODE,MULTI-FUNCTION

Do you mind schooling me on this for a second? My problem is that my alternator charges just fine but when you go into high revs it overcharges. I've been told that this problem is due to being a bad regulator more than likely. Whats the rectifier? It sounds too good to be true at the price you mentioned. Because I was already looking at about a $200 fix with another alternator. Where does the rectifier go?

Thanks man

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
The alternator produces AC power that power then is routed through a series of diodes (the rectifier) which converts the AC to DC.

Given your symptoms I would say you have a regulator issue and not a rectifier issue.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:34:24 PM by Sol Asylum »
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
Must be the meds. Not sure how I got rectifier out of regulator...     :banghead:

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 02:45:40 PM »
do they usually sell the regulator separately, or does this usually involve having to get another alternator all together?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 02:50:52 PM »
There is no procedure to replace the Regulator in the service manual but it does state the obvious in that the regulator is built into the alternator.

If you can get the number off the regulator in the alternator, you might be able to service it.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 03:55:16 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 04:04:43 PM »
Looks like there are two different generators? Shows one for an automatic tranny and a different for a manual.

GENERATOR,(STAMPED '8387')(ACDelco #25948387). Required: 01
For: M 2.0(LNF),140 AMP(KG9),5-SPD A/TRANS(M82) (2007-2009)

GENERATOR,(STAMPED '8388')(ACDelco #25948388). Required: 01
For: M 2.0(LNF),140 AMP(KG9),5 SPD M/TRANS(MA5)

The one for the manual tranny is considerably more expensive.

I think I'd be pulling it apart to see what the issue is and then contacting this guy. I must say though that I have no idea who this guy is as I just found him through a Google search.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/

« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 04:58:21 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 04:25:26 PM »
Bob those drugs are getting to you. 

Looks like there are two different generators? Shows one for a manual tranny and a different for a manual.

GENERATOR,(STAMPED '8387')(ACDelco #25948387). Required: 01
For: M 2.0(LNF),140 AMP(KG9),5-SPD A/TRANS(M82) (2007-2009)

GENERATOR,(STAMPED '8388')(ACDelco #25948388). Required: 01
For: M 2.0(LNF),140 AMP(KG9),5 SPD M/TRANS(MA5)

The one for the manual tranny is considerably more expensive.

I think I'd be pulling it apart to see what the issue is and then contacting this guy. I must say though that I have no idea who this guy is as I just found him through a Google search.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/
Regulators used to be separate from generators, but with the switch to alternators 40 + years ago they are part of the alternator.  Can you repair them, sure they can be repaired, that is what happens when you buy a rebuilt unit.  Can the average shade tree mechanic do this?  I don't think so.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 05:29:11 PM »
I know that with the regulators built iin, what we used to call generators are now referred to as an alternator but if you look them up on a GM parts site don't look for an alternator, you won't find it.

I'd be really tempted to rip the thing apart if it's toast anyway. Nothing to lose and if it's an easy fix, the permagrin gets a little bigger. Just a matter of finding parts...

I know these alternators aren't the same as the ones on our cars but they aren't hard to take apart.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 08:09:33 PM »
Generators are different from alternators.

A generator uses permanent magnets and a rotating coil to generate DC power  Where as an alternator has a fixed coil and a rotating coil.  One of the coils, called the field, is energized and creates the magnetic field taking the place of the magnets in the generator.  An alternator produces AC voltage which then has to be passed through the rectifier to convert it to DC.  The voltage regulator works differently between a generator and an alternator too.  On the alternator the regulator varies the power going to the field winding making the magnetic field stronger or weaker as needed.  On a generator you can't control how strong the magnets are so all the regulator does is open and close the out put circuit of the generator to keep the generated voltage within a specified range.

Generators are heavy, don't generate nearly the amperage that the lighter alternators can and have problems with controlling their output voltage which is why most cars use alternators.  However because a generator doesn't need any power to create the magnetic field if you have a dead battery you can push start the car and the generator will be able to recharge the battery.

Years ago alternators did have separate voltage regulators but with solid state devices getting smaller and smaller manufacturers started putting them inside the alternator.

If you can find the parts its really not that hard to rebuild an alternator but most of the time the parts end up costing as much if not more than a rebuilt assembly.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 08:37:58 PM »
Rectum
damn near killed him

Offline Anthony H

• Tech
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 05:52:59 PM »
Mine went out a couple of weeks ago, but was sporadically charging.  Same thing, the regulator (or whatever) died.  I replaced it with one I bought from Autozone, with their 20% off online deal, and it was well worth it.  I've used several Autozone alternators over the years and never had one die.
2007 Sky Redline.  GMPP Stage 2 tune.  K&N Typhoon.  DDM Backbone.  DDM Probeam. SOLO Ultra High Flow Cat.  SOLO Mach Shorty.  WERKS Racing Adjustable Rear Sway Bar.

Offline ryansalazan

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
Mine went out a couple of weeks ago, but was sporadically charging.  Same thing, the regulator (or whatever) died.  I replaced it with one I bought from Autozone, with their 20% off online deal, and it was well worth it.  I've used several Autozone alternators over the years and never had one die.

Very good to know! I didnt know you could get 20% off