Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: General G-MAX AS-03 tires  (Read 2621 times)

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
General G-MAX AS-03 tires
« on: September 13, 2014, 06:30:01 PM »
Tire Rack has a sale on these tires and I was thinking of putting them on my wife's Sky RL.  She is an easy driver and does kill corners with it, so are these tires Ok?

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=G-MAX+AS-03&partnum=445WR8GMAS03XL&autoMake=Saturn&autoYear=2008&autoModel=Sky+Red+Line&autoModClar=
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: General G-MAX AS-03 tires
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »
Seem to get good reviews but tread life doesn't seem to be their strong suit.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »
If the car is strictly a DD I see no reason why you shouldn't give them a try. All the reviews are favorable.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 08:09:56 PM »
Just read a review on these in the latest issue of Grassroots Motor Sports (they put them on one of their Miatas) and they had good things to say about them and especially liked the wet weather handling

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 11:49:33 AM »

Yeah, I do agree.  Looking at the Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 too as I found it for $132 fo the tire-easy site.  A little more treadlife there and a lower price. 

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 12:19:04 PM »
Just read a review on these in the latest issue of Grassroots Motor Sports (they put them on one of their Miatas) and they had good things to say about them and especially liked the wet weather handling

Wow, you are quick. That issue didn't hit my mailbox until late yesterday afternoon.  Yep, they appeared to like the treadware rating also, and it was a good review, though a bit short.
Aggressive #000741

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 12:29:22 PM »
What's the general consensus on UTQG rating (higher vs lower) and tire grip/performance? Are the lower rated tires better on road grip, or is it a non issue?

Offline Carey

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 01:18:38 PM »

My comment is based entirely on having read a LOT of "user/owner" reviews -- and not on the specific tire you've asked about.

The range of tire/tread life for the EXACT SAME TIRE (again, not YOUR make/model, but rather mine [as well as others I was considering]) that owners/users gave was so incredibly extreme (from <30k to >100k!!!!) that I ended up deciding that it was probably impossible to really know what to expect.

I think the reasons include:
*  Different makes/models of cars on which the exact same make/model of tire was used
*  Different driving conditions (in terms of types of roads, road condition, mostly highway or mostly city street driving, mostly good weather vs bad weather, etc.)
*  Different driving styles (if you burn rubber all the time, your tires won't last as long as if you never do that)
*  Mistakes made by the reviewer
*  People with something critical to say seem to say it more often than people who had good experiences post their opinions
*  Etc.

I guess that's why a lot of people state their opinion and end with "YMMV" -- Your Mileage May Vary (which fits this subject PERFECTLY!:-)

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 08:25:35 AM »
Went ahead and snagged 4 Generals from tires-easy.com (thanks much for the heads up on that site!!!).  Awesome deal at $136 a tire and $13 shipping each. I'll report back after install with some pics and thoughts.  One of the features I liked was the rim protector.  The other tires I looked at didn't seem to have that like the original Goodyear tires. As little as she drives it, they should last her a good long time.