Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Solstice Spoiler  (Read 3260 times)

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Solstice Spoiler
« on: November 06, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »
I want to put an OEM style spoiler on the car but wondered if it was just better to get a OE one instead?  I have seen several offered by other vendors, but I am concerned with fitment and installation. Anyone here use something other than the GM OE lip spoiler (as in someone else's version)?  Recommendations?  I know its going to be a PITA...
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline Helios

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Play Hard; Drive Harder!
Re: Solstice Spoiler
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 12:30:12 PM »
I want to put an OEM style spoiler on the car but wondered if it was just better to get a OE one instead?  I have seen several offered by other vendors, but I am concerned with fitment and installation. Anyone here use something other than the GM OE lip spoiler (as in someone else's version)?  Recommendations?  I know its going to be a PITA...

I installed the carbon fiber top RK spoiler on mine. It was a little bit of a pain. It doesn't come with a template to mark and drill holes with. Here's what I did:

1) Set the spoiler on the truck lid, centered, and marked with grease pencil where the spoiler "feet" would be. Ensured the spoiler would not contact the rear bumper with trunk open.
2) used painters tape to mask over those two areas. This helps prevent marring the paint/ paint chips should the drill bit decide to walk on you while drilling.
3) created a paper template of the spoiler feet and hole positions. Keep it as one piece of paper to keep the correct spacing between the two. I did this by laying down some brown masking paper (sold in rolls for a couple bucks in the paint section of Lowes/ Home Depot). Set the spoiler on top of a sheet of the paper. Trace around the perimeter of both feet. Flip the spoiler over so that the piece of paper is now on top. Gently press around the holes to mark their position (3 holes on each foot). Cut out the 6 holes and the outer perimeter of the 2 feet with an exacto knife and scissors.
4) On a long piece of scrap cardboard I layed the spoiler upside down and traced the perimeter then cut it out.
5) Married up the paper template to the cardboard template and transferred the foot/ hole pattern.
6) Positioned the template on the truck lid and centered it. Marked the 6 holes with sharpie marker onto the previously installed painters tape.
7) Drilled the holes first by using a small pilot bit then gradually stepping up to the final size. I used 3 or 4 different sized drill bits. I think the final hole size was a little over 1/4". Touched up the drilled holes with primer and touch up paint to prevent corrosion.
8) I noticed after drilling that the holes were not symmetrical from one foot to the next. This caused me to panic because I thought I messed up while marking/ drilling, but I realized that RK sport did not fabricate this part very well.
9) Also, the included mounting hardware from RK Sport was incorrect. The thread size was right (1/4-20?), but the heads on the screws were oversized so that they wouldn't fit through the underside access holes of the trunk lid.
10) I bought stainless steel hardware from Lowes. (qty 4 - 1/4-20x1/2"L [maybe 3/4"L?] SS pan head screws, qty 2 - 1/4-20 SS hex nuts, qty 6 - SS lock washers, qty 6 - SS flat washers, 1/4-20 all-thread.
11) Installed 3M adhesive tape on each spoiler foot. (also purchased at Lowes/ Home Depot). Cut out mounting holes. Do not remove paper backing at this time.
12) Cut 2 pieces of all thread into 1.25" - 1.5" lengths. Clean up the threads after cutting. Install 1 each into middle hole on each spoiler foot with red loctite. Let dry. These now serve as alignment pins to make installation easier.
13) "Dry fit" the spoiler into place and make sure all 6 holes line up and are accessible from the access holes on the underside of the trunk lid. Mounting holes in the trunk lid may need to be widened to allow repositioning/ correct fitment.
14) Once holes are verified, remove spoiler; remove 3M adhesive tape backing paper, re-install spoiler with hardware and tighten down.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:37:39 PM by Helios »
"Gwyneth"
V8 swap in progress
RPi GT/ SOLO Exhaust

Offline Sting Ya

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 03:39:28 PM »
You might want to look at a Colbalt SS spoiler I have seen them on a few cars and it's a nice look .

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 03:41:58 PM »
I bought a RK Sport, the instructions were a bit crappy so I re-did them and documented it.  RK now uses that as their download instructions. It's really easy this way

http://rksport.com/v/WebImages/Instructions/26012006.pdf

Offline roxer

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 04:07:51 PM »
I installed the carbon fiber top RK spoiler on mine. It was a little bit of a pain. It doesn't come with a template to mark and drill holes with. Here's what I did:

1) Set the spoiler on the truck lid, centered, and marked with grease pencil where the spoiler "feet" would be. Ensured the spoiler would not contact the rear bumper with trunk open.
2) used painters tape to mask over those two areas. This helps prevent marring the paint/ paint chips should the drill bit decide to walk on you while drilling.
3) created a paper template of the spoiler feet and hole positions. Keep it as one piece of paper to keep the correct spacing between the two. I did this by laying down some brown masking paper (sold in rolls for a couple bucks in the paint section of Lowes/ Home Depot). Set the spoiler on top of a sheet of the paper. Trace around the perimeter of both feet. Flip the spoiler over so that the piece of paper is now on top. Gently press around the holes to mark their position (3 holes on each foot). Cut out the 6 holes and the outer perimeter of the 2 feet with an exacto knife and scissors.
4) On a long piece of scrap cardboard I layed the spoiler upside down and traced the perimeter then cut it out.
5) Married up the paper template to the cardboard template and transferred the foot/ hole pattern.
6) Positioned the template on the truck lid and centered it. Marked the 6 holes with sharpie marker onto the previously installed painters tape.
7) Drilled the holes first by using a small pilot bit then gradually stepping up to the final size. I used 3 or 4 different sized drill bits. I think the final hole size was a little over 1/4". Touched up the drilled holes with primer and touch up paint to prevent corrosion.
8) I noticed after drilling that the holes were not symmetrical from one foot to the next. This caused me to panic because I thought I messed up while marking/ drilling, but I realized that RK sport did not fabricate this part very well.
9) Also, the included mounting hardware from RK Sport was incorrect. The thread size was right (1/4-20?), but the heads on the screws were oversized so that they wouldn't fit through the underside access holes of the trunk lid.
10) I bought stainless steel hardware from Lowes. (qty 4 - 1/4-20x1/2"L [maybe 3/4"L?] SS pan head screws, qty 2 - 1/4-20 SS hex nuts, qty 6 - SS lock washers, qty 6 - SS flat washers, 1/4-20 all-thread.
11) Installed 3M adhesive tape on each spoiler foot. (also purchased at Lowes/ Home Depot). Cut out mounting holes. Do not remove paper backing at this time.
12) Cut 2 pieces of all thread into 1.25" - 1.5" lengths. Clean up the threads after cutting. Install 1 each into middle hole on each spoiler foot with red loctite. Let dry. These now serve as alignment pins to make installation easier.
13) "Dry fit" the spoiler into place and make sure all 6 holes line up and are accessible from the access holes on the underside of the trunk lid. Mounting holes in the trunk lid may need to be widened to allow repositioning/ correct fitment.
14) Once holes are verified, remove spoiler; remove 3M adhesive tape backing paper, re-install spoiler with hardware and tighten down.

Excellent detail on the install.  I read a thread with DeepBlueGXP's spoiler install where someone mentioned the holes for the OE spoiler already marked on the underside of the rear fascia.  I'm wondering if the OE style spoilers like from http://www.pfyc.com/PS1015.html fit the same holes as the OEM one?  I loved the duck tail one from aftershock, but I think they are out of business, right?
2002 Isuzu Rodeo Sport - Still kicking!
2008 Polar Sky Redline - Auto - Fully Loaded
2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP - Current list of Mods

Offline POS VETT

• Master Tech
  • AINT YRS
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2014, 07:58:01 AM »
Does the spoiler in the picture sag in the middle?

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
I like this one. Best spoiler ever fitter to a car.

Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 04:32:05 PM »
What about the one on a Superbird?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 05:32:26 PM »
Can't get better than this...

"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
The superbird was crazy, but the 911 just looks awesome. I love it.
Make the right choices now